Some may find this post of great interest ? Vas?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Some may find this post of great interest ? Vas?

Post by Milos »

Sven Schüle wrote:Btw, "ridiculous" is a good word IMO to comment the claim that R3 analysis had been done solely based on several 100.000 lines of pure assembler code (which would be the output of low level tools like "objdump", or "dumpbin /disasm", or the like), without having a symbol table and without a GUI-based disassembling tool like IDA. "Chapeau" if that has indeed been done that way - but I just don't believe it. I would not exclude that someone has something to hide here, although I don't know who, what, and why. I also do not understand why this "no special tool used" has been emphasized since a fully working IDA version can be downloaded for free.
Interesting logic. You don't have a knowledge or expertise to do something, and then you claim that doing that is ridiculous (in negative sense this time, for those not so good in understanding non-literal English).
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Milos wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:Btw, "ridiculous" is a good word IMO to comment the claim that R3 analysis had been done solely based on several 100.000 lines of pure assembler code (which would be the output of low level tools like "objdump", or "dumpbin /disasm", or the like), without having a symbol table and without a GUI-based disassembling tool like IDA. "Chapeau" if that has indeed been done that way - but I just don't believe it. I would not exclude that someone has something to hide here, although I don't know who, what, and why. I also do not understand why this "no special tool used" has been emphasized since a fully working IDA version can be downloaded for free.
Interesting logic. You don't have a knowledge or expertise to do something, and then you claim that doing that is ridiculous (in negative sense this time, for those not so good in understanding non-literal English).
You mean slang?
Zach Wegner

Post by Zach Wegner »

Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Then Zach thinks BB's claims that his analysis was derived without a tool such as IDA is ridiculous.
No, you have completely misunderstood what I said.
You wrote it. What did you mean then?
you can't understand this:
zach wrote: It is very impressive, but IMO the most impressive part about it is that BB says he did this without IDA or any other tool, but just by using the output of objdump. Pretty ridiculous.
Hint:

ridiculous: amazing. astounding. remarkable. Etc.

not

ridiculous: bullshit. nonsense. impossible. bogus. Etc.

I had absolutely no problem understanding what he meant without even a second's worth of thought. Note the key words "very impressive". as opposed "what a crock" or whatever.
No doubt one of the virtues of working in an environment with students: you stay up to speed in colloquialisms.
No, this is not a colloquialism, the key word "ridiculous" simply follows the statement "it is very impressive." I don't think one would use those words if he thought the idea was bogus. He could have used a dozen different words there and the general "feeling" would remain the same, because of those first 4 words. IMHO of course.
It is very impressive that you claim to have single-handedly brought peace to the world. Pretty ridiculous.

Does ridiculous above mean amazing, or does it mean absurd?
In context, "absurd". "claim to have single-handedly ..." If you leave out that part, then "amazing".
How about:

It is very impressive that you say you brought peace to the world. Pretty ridiculous.

It all depends on how unlikely the feat is. Zach's statement is quite borderline unless you think BB's claim is commonplace, which then leaves 'pretty ridiculous' completely open to interpretation.

And as an aside the use of ridiculous to mean "amazing" *is* a colloquialism.
Why are you still arguing about this? Your interpretation of my statement was wrong. Bob's was right. End of story.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Zach Wegner wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:Then Zach thinks BB's claims that his analysis was derived without a tool such as IDA is ridiculous.
zach wrote: It is very impressive, but IMO the most impressive part about it is that BB says he did this without IDA or any other tool, but just by using the output of objdump. Pretty ridiculous.
Hint:

not

I had absolutely no problem understanding what he meant without even a second's worth of thought. Note the key words "very impressive". as opposed "what a crock" or whatever.
No doubt one of the virtues of working in an environment with students: you stay up to speed in colloquialisms.
No, this is not a colloquialism, the key word "ridiculous" simply follows the statement "it is very impressive." I don't think one would use those words if he thought the idea was bogus. He could have used a dozen different words there and the general "feeling" would remain the same, because of those first 4 words. IMHO of course.
It is very impressive that you claim to have single-handedly brought peace to the world. Pretty ridiculous.

In context, "absurd". "claim to have single-handedly ..." If you leave out that part, then "amazing".
How about:

It is very impressive that you say you brought peace to the world. Pretty ridiculous.

It all depends on how unlikely the feat is. Zach's statement is quite borderline unless you think BB's claim is commonplace, which then leaves 'pretty ridiculous' completely open to interpretation.

Why are you still arguing about this? Your interpretation of my statement was wrong. Bob's was right. End of story.
You probably missed that I am not arguing that, hence "No doubt one of the virtues of working in an environment with students: you stay up to speed in colloquialisms."

He said it was not a colloquialism and that there was no way it could have been interpreted otherwise. I disagreed on both those accounts, not about my initial misinterpretation.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
bob

Post by bob »

Steve B wrote:
bob wrote:
Who needs it? I gave a nephew a chess challenger 2300 or whatever it was (I had it laying around unused, brown case, pressure-sensitive squares, no speech, was rated 2305 or something like that in the old computer chess rating reports). He never asked me "who wrote the program in this thing" (The spracklens if he had asked.) He didn't care, the thing played chess and that was what he wanted.
OK that does it Bob
let me get this straight
you actually gave away what was probably a Fidelity Designer Mach III without even offering it to me?
was this while we moderated here?

No. I actually bought the thing from Steve at ICD when that was the strongest machine for a reasonable price. We used it for testing with Cray Blitz, but it didn't work out very well as we had to play at huge time odds (1 sec on CB, 1 cpu vs 3 minutes on the challenger) to avoid complete blow-outs. When Bruce Moreland nominated me for the "outstanding publication award" from ICCA, because of my releasing the source to Crafty, they gave me yet another dedicated box (I'll have to go to my office to see what it is, but something sparc based I think, with "diamond" in the name?).

In any case, had a nephew that got interested in chess, and decided he would get more use out of the Spracklen box than I was. So sorry. And no, this was probably prior to 2000, so a while back. :)

thats it..im through here
i opening up my own forum effective immediately
i dont need this headache
:P

great call last term Bob
its looking like you were right all along
Well Done Regards
Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Hint:

not

How about:

A "world-wide" one? I've seen that used many times. "Watch my car dance (via hydraulics)." "That's ridiculous, man..." Etc.
bob

Post by bob »

Sven Schüle wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Hint:

not

"ridiculous" @ Merriam-Webster
So if Zach meant something different then it was "remarkable" by Bob to read that between the lines.

Maybe my English is not sufficient for that.

Btw, "ridiculous" is a good word IMO to comment the claim that R3 analysis had been done solely based on several 100.000 lines of pure assembler code (which would be the output of low level tools like "objdump", or "dumpbin /disasm", or the like), without having a symbol table and without a GUI-based disassembling tool like IDA. "Chapeau" if that has indeed been done that way - but I just don't believe it. I would not exclude that someone has something to hide here, although I don't know who, what, and why. I also do not understand why this "no special tool used" has been emphasized since a fully working IDA version can be downloaded for free.

Note that I do not say anything about the contents of that paper here, simply because I watched the world cup games and did not read most of the paper yet. Just started ...

Sven
I saw the word "ridiculous" used in that way at least two times during the winter olympics, once during snowboarding, once in "the tube". As in "that move is ridiculous!"

Not unusual to see that at all. At the drag strip two weeks ago, guy pulls up in an old chevy station wagon. Sounds strong. Tremendous launch, front end goes skyward. So high the rear wheels leave the ground as well levered up by the wheelie bars and rear bumper. Front end comes back down. Parts fly everywhere. "That was ridiculous! man" over the PA system.
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Hint:

not

How about:

A "world-wide" one? I've seen that used many times. "Watch my car dance (via hydraulics)." "That's ridiculous, man..." Etc.
Well, first of all, even if it were world-wide, that wouldn't make it less of a colloquialism. As to the car dancing via hydraulics example.... That was a pretty funny choice, because it is extremely American, not world-wide. Not that you implied otherwise, but it was still a funny choice after claiming it was 'world-wide'.

Anyhow, if you look up even recent editions of Websters, you won't find ridiculous defined as you suggest. One can find it, however, at the Online Slang Dictionary: Ridiculous.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

bob wrote:
When Bruce Moreland nominated me for the "outstanding publication award" from ICCA, because of my releasing the source to Crafty, they gave me yet another dedicated box (I'll have to go to my office to see what it is, but something sparc based I think, with "diamond" in the name?).
not sure what year you received the ICCA award
im guessing you have a Novag Diamond released in 1995 or the Diamond II released in 1997.. both Risc Processors

Steve
bob

Post by bob »

Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
bob wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
Zach Wegner wrote:
Hint:

not

How about:

Well, first of all, even if it were world-wide, that wouldn't make it less of a colloquialism. As to the car dancing via hydraulics example.... That was a pretty funny choice, because it is extremely American, not world-wide. Not that you implied otherwise, but it was still a funny choice after claiming it was 'world-wide'.

Anyhow, if you look up even recent editions of Websters, you won't find ridiculous defined as you suggest. One can find it, however, at the Online Slang Dictionary: Ridiculous.
I simply try to read what is written and take it at face value rather than trying to figure out how the words might best fit what I want to see written...