Patricia 3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Whiskers
Full name: Adam Kulju

Re: Patricia 3

Post by Whiskers »

reflectionofpower wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 5:01 pm Is there a README file for the engine parameters in detail?

Code: Select all

Patricia supports a few options for users:
`Hash`: The memory alloted to the transposition table.
`Threads`: Number of threads to search with.
`Skill_Level` or `UCI_Limit`: Weakens Patricia's strength so that you can use her as a sparring partner. Don't worry, she still plays in a relatively principled manner.

`go nodes`: Search a position for a given number of nodes.
`go depth`: Search a position to a given depth.

Patricia also supports customization of many search parameters for SPSA purposes. It is not recommended that you modify them unless you know what you are doing.
That seems to be enough to me for such few and simple parameters, is there anything you need explained in more detail?
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

I wanted to know in detail everything in the uci parameters. Those parameters are not available for Kevin fritz 17 GUI that you expounded on
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

reflectionofpower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:05 am I wanted to know in detail everything in the uci parameters. Those parameters are not available for Kevin fritz 17 GUI that you expounded on
Threads: sets the number of threads you want to search with (more threads - multithreading). Default 1, supports up to 1024 threads

Hash: sets the size of the transposition table used in search in megabytes. Default 32 MBs, supported range is from 1 MB to over 1 TB.

Skill_Level or UCI_Limit: Sets the engine to play at the ELO value given. Default: 3300 (max strength), supported range is from 1100 - 3300. They are functionally equivalent; UCI_Limit is there because a game developer wanted support for it, and Skill_Level is there because UCI_Limit is a "hidden option" that doesn't show up on some GUIs for whatever reason.

All other uci parameters (NMPMinDepth etc.) control search parameters. For example, changing NMPMinDepth will change the minimum depth at which Null Move Pruning is performed by Patricia in search. Do not touch these values unless you have a good reason to, they are there to enable automatic tuning with SPSA.

Which parameters are not available for the Fritz GUI you have? At the very least, Threads and Hash should be supported by it.
Archimedes
Full name: Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

Since OpenTal was also mentioned in this context, I have also created a single APK file for this chess engine (see signature). In combination with a Polyglot opening book (supported by DroidFish), based on one of the raw files from the UHO 2024 openings project, which consists only of human games, OpenTal is also an interesting sparring partner. And finally, I have also provided the latest (developer) version of Patricia.
reflectionofpower

Whiskers wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:33 am
reflectionofpower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:05 am I wanted to know in detail everything in the uci parameters. Those parameters are not available for Kevin fritz 17 GUI that you expounded on
Threads: sets the number of threads you want to search with (more threads - multithreading). Default 1, supports up to 1024 threads

Hash: sets the size of the transposition table used in search in megabytes. Default 32 MBs, supported range is from 1 MB to over 1 TB.

Skill_Level or UCI_Limit: Sets the engine to play at the ELO value given. Default: 3300 (max strength), supported range is from 1100 - 3300. They are functionally equivalent; UCI_Limit is there because a game developer wanted support for it, and Skill_Level is there because UCI_Limit is a "hidden option" that doesn't show up on some GUIs for whatever reason.

All other uci parameters (NMPMinDepth etc.) control search parameters. For example, changing NMPMinDepth will change the minimum depth at which Null Move Pruning is performed by Patricia in search. Do not touch these values unless you have a good reason to, they are there to enable automatic tuning with SPSA.

Which parameters are not available for the Fritz GUI you have? At the very least, Threads and Hash should be supported by it.
Skill_Level or UCI_Limit is not in there using Fritz 19. I mistakenly stated I am using Fritz 17.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

reflectionofpower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:35 pm

Skill_Level or UCI_Limit is not in there using Fritz 19. I mistakenly stated I am using Fritz 17.

I don't have Fritz but after looking a bit online, does clicking on "Engine Parameters" in the engine window show anything? https://help.chessbase.com/Fritz/17/Eng ... priori.htm
DomL77
Full name: Dom Leste

Post by DomL77 »

Whiskers wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:04 pm
reflectionofpower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2024 3:35 pm

I don't have Fritz but after looking a bit online, does clicking on "Engine Parameters" in the engine window show anything? https://help.chessbase.com/Fritz/17/Eng ... priori.htm

Also the Elo limit option doesn't work in the Hiarc's Chess Explorer GUI. The option is greyed out when trying to lower the elo setting before a match. The option is available in the Arena GUI.
reflectionofpower

This is how Fritz 19 shows Patricia 3's parameters

https://1drv.ms/i/c/6dbce4f7999ce91a/EY ... Q?e=ih6c86

Lonnie
Whiskers

Post by Whiskers »

Ah, Skill_Level wasn’t in the original Patricia 3 release. I’ll update the exes when I get home from work and then you should be able to use that option to change her elo.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Congrats, looking forward to playing against it.

-Josh