GPT-4o made a chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

towforce

Re: GPT-4o made a chess engine

Post by towforce »

MaxDemian wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:25 pm Idk to me it doesnt sound so unrealistic to get a LLM to be really strong at chess. If you have a lot of good training data, for example training data which has as input a chess fen from a GM game and as output the move the GM played and you have like a million or many millions of these training data examples and train/finetune a LLM on it would it really be so unrealistic that it picks up patterns and starts to learn chess and suggest decent moves on new positions? Such training data could be created with some python script for example which loops through a huge collection of high lvl GM games.

That looks quite a bit like NNUE to me.
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.
Werewolf

Re: GPT-4o made a chess engine

Post by Werewolf »

towforce wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 7:53 pm

IIRC Gemini Advanced only came out in February - and they make announcements about improvements to it nearly every week. Why do you think we're due a major new version?
Yes but the model itself is still the same (1.0 Ultra), whereas the level down was upgraded to 1.5 some time ago. I imagine a 1.5 (or 2) Ultra will be forthcoming.