WinBoard 4.3.15 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: WinBoard 4.3.15 released

Post by hgm »

Hmm, this looks like a very bad bug, and I should certainly release an immediate bugfix. I only tested on ICC, and perhaps not in human mode. Anyway, the winboard.exe in the ICSclient should have it fixed
slobo

Post by slobo »

The version 4.3.14i works well on FICS.
"Well, I´m just a soul whose intentions are good,
Oh Lord, please don´t let me be misunderstood."
hgm

Post by hgm »

This is pretty amazing, as I did not change anything in this area. I will compare sources to see what is wrong. An older source file might have slipped back into my source tree.

[edit] OK, now I see what happened. It is an unintended side effect of a bugfix I made immediately after releasing 4.3.14, long before I started working on 4.3.15 proper. 4.3.14 had the promotion characters hard-coded, which led to wrong promotion pieces if the pieceToChar table was set to give the pieces alternative names. In the process of fixing it I somehow lost the translation NULLCHAR -> EmptySquare, so that in stead a non-promoting move was caught by the default case of Queen.

Very stupid and entirely my mistake... :cry:

I will replace the winboard.exe in the GoldPack with a fixed one, and put a fixed winboard.exe as a replacement download for people who have already downloaded the Gold Pack. I will make the announcement here when they are in place.

Thanks for catching the bug!
slobo

Post by slobo »

hgm wrote:This is pretty amazing, as I did not change anything in this area. I will compare sources to see what is wrong. An older source file might have slipped back into my source tree.

[edit] OK, now I see what happened. It is an unintended side effect of a bugfix I made immediately after releasing 4.3.14, long before I started working on 4.3.15 proper. 4.3.14 had the promotion characters hard-coded, which led to wrong promotion pieces if the pieceToChar table was set to give the pieces alternative names. In the process of fixing it I somehow lost the translation NULLCHAR -> EmptySquare, so that in stead a non-promoting move was caught by the default case of Queen.

Very stupid and entirely my mistake... :cry:

I will replace the winboard.exe in the GoldPack with a fixed one, and put a fixed winboard.exe as a replacement download for people who have already downloaded the Gold Pack. I will make the announcement here when they are in place.

Thanks for catching the bug!
I am happy to be useful.

Is it possible to let users configurate their menu with FICS commands, as suggested in http://www.edcollins.com/chess/winb-config.htm ?

It was possible to previous winboard versions.
hgm

Post by hgm »

It should still be possible. I did not change anything in that area, and it is not likely that I would have inadvertantly broken something there. I never tried it, though. As the menu indeed does pop up, I guess that the code to translate the description in the winboard.ini file to the actual menu must be still operational.
slobo

Post by slobo »

Thanks Guenther. I´ll have a look at Pascal´s new Scid.