Is Chess A Sport?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Is Chess A Sport?

Yes
72%
No
28%

Total votes: 43

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: Is Chess A Sport?

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:Chess today is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee.
Yes, it has to do with commercial interests to sell this idea.

Look also, how bridge wants to be recognized...

http://reports.chessdom.com/chess-olympic-sport

But, man... what ever you want to show, chess is just that a board game. :)

There are several sports (physical skills) not recognized by the IOC because they are not popular around the world.

They consider chess or bridge because they are popular board games.

Let me know the cardio aspects of chess... I did not find anything about it :lol:
What I have been trying to tell you that you are not getting is that truth from a dictionary is an inferior truth that is always changing. I hope that I do not get in trouble for this, but, in a 1961 Websters dictionary look up the word 'pussy'. Its definition was then just simply; "a young girl". Man has perverted that innocent word over time so that the original meaning has been lost. That is an extreme case of narrowing of focus. The word 'sport' has been narrowed/perverted in a similar fashion with the narrowing of focus to include marked physical activity, because that is the type of sports that most people find interesting. Will the definition of sport keep this perversion over time, that's anyones guess. So, for you and those of you that believe a dictionary to be gospel then you have the privilege of being right amongst yourselves. That is until your dictionary changes.

I am done and you may have the last word, but, my advice to you is to pull your head out of your dictionary! :lol:
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Albert Silver

Re: Is Chess A Sport?

Post by Albert Silver »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Arturo Ochoa wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:Chess today is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee.
Yes, it has to do with commercial interests to sell this idea.

Look also, how bridge wants to be recognized...

http://reports.chessdom.com/chess-olympic-sport

But, man... what ever you want to show, chess is just that a board game. :)

There are several sports (physical skills) not recognized by the IOC because they are not popular around the world.

They consider chess or bridge because they are popular board games.

Let me know the cardio aspects of chess... I did not find anything about it :lol:
What I have been trying to tell you that you are not getting is that truth from a dictionary is an inferior truth that is always changing. I hope that I do not get in trouble for this, but, in a 1961 Websters dictionary look up the word 'pussy'. Its definition was then just simply; "a young girl". Man has perverted that innocent word over time so that the original meaning has been lost. That is an extreme case of narrowing of focus. The word 'sport' has been narrowed/perverted in a similar fashion with the narrowing of focus to include marked physical activity, because that is the type of sports that most people find interesting. Will the definition of sport keep this perversion over time, that's anyones guess. So, for you and those of you that believe a dictionary to be gospel then you have the privilege of being right amongst yourselves. That is until your dictionary changes.

I am done and you may have the last word, but, my advice to you is to pull your head out of your dictionary! :lol:
It is worse than that. He is quoting purely free online sources, which are mutilated and limited. They are excellent to explain or clarify, but not as absolute references. Matthew did the same and quoted them as having only a half dozen synonyms of the word 'contribution', thus was truth served, except that in my personal thesaurus I had in excess of 100 (I estimated 200 didn't actually count them all).

In any case, a dictionary reference could never be the last word on this subject, so such a quote is utterly pointless.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."