Plagiarism

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Plagiarism

Post by hgm »

Rebel wrote:
Don wrote: By the "dictionary" definition of plagiarism which you take absolutely literal, I am a plagiarist. Do you agree that this construct makes me a plagiarist?
By the Rybka verdict of the ICGA yes, we all are.
Ed, what exactly are you trying to achieve by posting nonsense like that, other than portray yourself a someone who has lost his marbles? Was there a prize awarded for "idiot of the month", which I somehow missed? :shock:
Roger Brown

Post by Roger Brown »

Milos wrote:
Roger Brown wrote:I have no Ivanhoe axe to grind, I am just not agreeing that Ivanhoe is all there is in chess programming. I do not think that strength alone should be the sole - or most important - criteria in what interests me in a chess program.
I would say your preference as chess programs user certainly doesn't define what's important in the course of chess programming nor it has to do anything with chess programming research. Seams you give yourself too much importance...

Hello Milos,

It is possible that in your usual haste to be as hostile and sneering as ever that you completely missed the point of my post?

I really do not expect that my chess program choices matter anywhere, least of all here. It seems you give your opinions on my preferences way too much importance here...

My point was - which you carefully did not quote - that I do not accept that Ivanhoe, or any related program up to and including Rybka, represents the be all and end all of computer-chess programming.

I have other preferences that may make a non-Ivanhoe direction more to my liking.

Now apply your formidable intelligence (I do believe that this is true of you incidentally, my irrelevant opinion notwithstanding) to something else apart from being caustic and formulating one-liners.

Later.
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Rebel wrote: But more important, do you agree with:

Every chess programmer can code but the main secret to success is not to code but about ideas, new ideas especially. An average programmer with excellent ideas can lead the field, an expert programmer with average ideas never will.
The silence on this one is deafening.

I understand why.

You know what Bob, Don?

I think you do too but don't like the implications and consequences.
bob wrote: Would you PLEASE stop making false statements? Also known as lies? The ICGA verdict said absolutely NOTHING about "ideas". It only mentioned source code. Not ideas. And you know that. EVERYBODY else knows that...

The ICGA verdict had nothing to do with ideas. Ideas were NEVER mentioned. Not ONCE.
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Plagiarism:

http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_article_ ... arism.html
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Hi Ed

According to EU, copyright no longer exists.

Vas can now take his case to the EU court, and complain about the decisions that ICGA has taken to the exclusion of his program. Bon appetit ICGA folks.

http://news.yahoo.com/eu-blocks-copyrig ... 38705.html
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Damir wrote:Hi Ed

Vas can now take his case to the EU court, and complain about the decisions that ICGA has taken to the exclusion of his program. Bon appetit ICGA folks.

You're an idiot.
Terry McCracken
bob

Post by bob »

Rebel wrote:
Rebel wrote: But more important, do you agree with:

Every chess programmer can code but the main secret to success is not to code but about ideas, new ideas especially. An average programmer with excellent ideas can lead the field, an expert programmer with average ideas never will.
The silence on this one is deafening.

I understand why.

You know what Bob, Don?

I think you do too but don't like the implications and consequences.
Sorry, but I don't find ideas to be the problem. I find implementation and testing to be the problem. I have a list of ideas on my to-do list that numbers over 100. All eventually resolve into the "how does it affect quality and how does it affect speed" comparison.

I have seen both types of people in computer chess. Tony Scherzer with Bebe knew nothing about chess, but was a very good hardware/programmer type. Bebe was quite successful. Dave Slate was an excellent chess player, and also was quite successful. You want to imply that most are non-creative and incapable of developing a successful chess program. I don't agree.

bob wrote: Would you PLEASE stop making false statements? Also known as lies? The ICGA verdict said absolutely NOTHING about "ideas". It only mentioned source code. Not ideas. And you know that. EVERYBODY else knows that...

The ICGA verdict had nothing to do with ideas. Ideas were NEVER mentioned. Not ONCE.
The International Computer Games Association (ICGA) has been conducting an investigation into allegations that, in the chess program Rybka, the programmer Vasik Rajlich plagiarized two other programs: Crafty and Fruit.

Plagiarism:

http://www.plagiarism.org/plag_article_ ... arism.html
Again, we consider only the computer software aspect of plagiarism, which is "copying source code.' This has been pointed out a hundred times. You keep up with the dishonesty and keep trying to cast this as being about ideas. You won't find one single mention of an IDEA in the ICGA panel report. We looked ONLY at copied code. You know that. Time to stop stating otherwise, just to continue a crusade that is absolutely doomed to failure.
bob

Post by bob »

Why don't you learn to read and understand before posting nonsense? They are not talking about a source code copyright. They are talking about a "programming language copyright". Can one copyright the language C so that others can not write a C compiler? No. Can one copyright html? No. This is not about source code which STILL remains protected by copyright, if you'd just take the time to read.
Damir

Post by Damir »

Who needs to read everything else. The title is enough for me. BTW, that's exactly what you do as well. No way for me to waste my time, by going through the whole reading process...
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

bob wrote:

Why don't you learn to read and understand before posting nonsense? They are not talking about a source code copyright. They are talking about a "programming language copyright". Can one copyright the language C so that others can not write a C compiler? No. Can one copyright html? No. This is not about source code which STILL remains protected by copyright, if you'd just take the time to read.
English isn't his strong suit and just about everything else. Except wanking.
Terry McCracken
Damir

Post by Damir »

Are you an expert in wanking ? Will you teach me how to do it ?