Has anyone heard of this chess program

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tony Thomas

Re: Has anyone heard of this chess program

Post by Tony Thomas »

I didnt want to call him out. I have a hard time beliving the results of Vicki against Eveann. It could very well be due to the 4/8 time control.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

4/8 means 4+8 ?
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

cooldalek wrote:In a gauntlet Vicki scored the following:

01: Vicki 0.031a 6.0/18 ··
02: Fire Fly 1.42 2.0/2 11
02: Hagrid 0.7.56 2.0/2 11
02: Pupsi 0.18 2.0/2 11
02: Gibbon 2.31g 2.0/2 11
02: Adam 3.1 uci 2.0/2 11
02: GreKo 5.2.5 2.0/2 11
08: Eveann 1.62 0.0/2 00
08: Monarch(1.5) 0.0/2 00
08: Piranha 0.5 0.0/2 00

Name of the tournament: Arena tourney: vicki in gauntlet
Site/ Country: United Kingdom
Level: Blitz 4/8
Hardware: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz with 1,024 MB Memory
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
PGN-File: C:\Program Files\Arena Chess\Arena.pgn
E-Mail Address:
I played some games here vs EveAnn 1.62 at 4+8 and they were easy wins in 25-30 moves, but i observed that EveAnn managed badly this time control, 30 secs left after only 25 moves. Vicki didnt use its time well too, his clock was 5:36 after 25 moves.

Can you send me the games please (if times are there better)? andres@ectool.nu

Thx in advance
Saludos, Andres
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Andres

Will do. I'll send the pgn to anyone who wants it (confess I haven't checked for time losses - will do that tonight - although I did watch one of the games against EveAnn and Vicki won it on merit)

I'll do a more complete tourney at longer time controls tonight
cooldalek

Post by cooldalek »

Tony Thomas wrote:I didnt want to call him out. I have a hard time beliving the results of Vicki against Eveann. It could very well be due to the 4/8 time control.
I'll do a 40/20 time control match (say 6 games) between EveAnn and Vicki tonight and see where we get. And I'll send the pgn out
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Safe bet that this will be an easy 6-0 to EveAnn. Vicki is closer to the level of micro-Max. I tried some games at 40/5. Against uMax 1.6 (the currently smaller version, like Vicki without hash) it can still win 2-0, (reproducibly), but with uMax 4.0 it already has problems: 2 draws, one from a quite lost KRPPPKR position. (uMax 4.0 treats passers like they are glued to the board, at this time control.)

I never tried uMax 4.0 against EveAnn, but I did this for the much stronger uMax 4.4 (which, unlike 4.0, has null-move and King safety), and it did not get further than a 10% score.
Andres Valverde

cooldalek wrote:Andres

Will do. I'll send the pgn to anyone who wants it (confess I haven't checked for time losses - will do that tonight - although I did watch one of the games against EveAnn and Vicki won it on merit)

I'll do a more complete tourney at longer time controls tonight
Thanks, will run some test myself too. Anyways, if it got 2 points on merit we can say at 99% it is not a 1200 engine
Saludos, Andres
Tony Thomas

Post by Tony Thomas »

hgm wrote:4/8 means 4+8 ?
Yes, 4/8 is just arena's way of writing 4+8.
sparky

Post by sparky »

I stand in awe at how my little chess program is being torn apart. :-) Please note the use of the word "little". Many aspects such as transposition tables and null moves are still missing. Thank you for the interest and let me know what you guys think.

Just something on the rating. I based the fact that Vicki plays at 1200 ELO on my own strength and that of known chess engine ratings. I also state on my web page that this value is a pure estimation. It value is a pure guideline and I believe that it is fairly good estimation... If you don't like that, than regard Vicki to be on "a-work-in-progress-beginner-program-by-a-chess-hobbiest" strength ;-)
Andres Valverde

sparky wrote:I stand in awe at how my little chess program is being torn apart. :-) Please note the use of the word "little". Many aspects such as transposition tables and null moves are still missing. Thank you for the interest and let me know what you guys think.

Just something on the rating. I based the fact that Vicki plays at 1200 ELO on my own strength and that of known chess engine ratings. I also state on my web page that this value is a pure estimation. It value is a pure guideline and I believe that it is fairly good estimation... If you don't like that, than regard Vicki to be on "a-work-in-progress-beginner-program-by-a-chess-hobbiest" strength ;-)
Hi Jaco, 80% of people here was in your stage some months/years ago so we are sure you'll enjoy your upcoming improvements. About the engine, I played some 40/5 games here and it is pretty interesting being in so early stage, keep up the good work!
Saludos, Andres