Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Re: Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Post by mhull »

Fguy64 wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:I recently rebuilt a AMD 450 Mhz computer just for the hell of it ... well actually it was to try to see if I can reach a point where I have a chance against an engine. Unfortunately for me that still hasn't helped ... maybe I can find a 1 Mhz system on eBay 8-)
maybe having the engine run while a virus scan is being conducted will help.
I recently sent a 90 Mhz Pentium system to the computer shredder where the HD had frozen, but it was an otherwise working system. You missed it by that much. ;)
Matthew Hull
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

Thanks for your offer, but I am onlylooking for a very specific system.

1 GHz
Pentium III

And I don't need it "in hand", just someone to run a test on it.

I only mention this because it is the baseline used for the Fritz9 benchmark, and I'd like to adopt this same standard in my checkers benchmark at http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.c ... ults.shtml
mhull

Post by mhull »

LiquidNitrogenOverclocker wrote:Thanks for your offer, but I am onlylooking for a very specific system.

1 GHz
Pentium III

I only mention this because it is the baseline used for the Fritz9 benchmark, and I'd like to adopt this same standard in my checkers benchmark at http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.c ... ults.shtml
Maybe someone has a 500 MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM. I just gave one away recently. The adjusted results might still be useful on such a half-speed system.
Matthew Hull
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

LiquidNitrogenOverclocker wrote:Thanks for your offer, but I am onlylooking for a very specific system.

1 GHz
Pentium III

I have 2 1.2 Ghz Celeron Tualatin systems (12x100, 256KB L2), one set up. Although called Celeron, they certainly qualify as a full PIII because most PIII systems sold ran at 100 FSB and 256KB L2. The later Tualatins ran 133 FSB and 512KB L2.

Anyway, the one I have set up, I can not underclock to 1Ghz. But the one in storage has a much more tweakable mobo, and it just might.

One of my points that I wasn't clear with until now, is that using PIII 1Ghz as a baseline can be rather vague because there is a wide variety of machines with probably 10-15% leeway in performance due to architectural differences in both the mobo chipsets and the chip versions themselves.
JWorcester

Post by JWorcester »

I've got a Dell Laptop that has a 1GHz P3 if that's any use. Running Windows XP with 512 MB of Ram that I can easily fire up. I'll try and find some time to download the file and run it this weekend.
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

bnemias wrote:Anyway, the one I have set up, I can not underclock to 1Ghz. But the one in storage has a much more tweakable mobo, and it just might.
I just tried, and wasn't successful. I got it running at 1 Ghz, but doing so caused weird settings for SDRAM and PCI frequencies because the mobo didn't have the proper divider for an 83 FSB. It could handle 66 fine, but not 83. So, I can only run it at 800, 1200, or 1600 Mhz. Sorry.

mhull wrote: Maybe someone has a 500 MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM. I just gave one away recently. The adjusted results might still be useful on such a half-speed system.
Just wondering what part of 1 GHz Pentium III is so hard to understand?

JWorcester wrote:I've got a Dell Laptop that has a 1GHz P3 if that's any use. Running Windows XP with 512 MB of Ram that I can easily fire up. I'll try and find some time to download the file and run it this weekend.
Justin, the application needs about 650 MB to run, so it will either virtualize the rest (and slow it down tremendously) or not run at all.

Thanks though, I just don't want you to go through any unnecessary work if you don't happen to have that much RAM in your system.
mhull

Post by mhull »

LiquidNitrogenOverclocker wrote:
mhull wrote: Maybe someone has a 500 MHz Pentium III, 256MB RAM. I just gave one away recently. The adjusted results might still be useful on such a half-speed system.
Just wondering what part of 1 GHz Pentium III is so hard to understand?
Easy to understand. Hard to obtain. Alternate solutions offered. No offense intended.
Matthew Hull
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

I still have a dual PIII 600 Mhz, Maybe I should boot it after I air dust the inside. Use Tiny Core or some other Linux Distro on it.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."