Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

M ANSARI

Re: Does anyone still have a 1 GHz Pentium III?

Post by M ANSARI »

Actually it was possible to get wins with even the 1.2 Ghz Athlon by playing anti computer chess. Since the Rybka days the door has gradually been shut and openings like d4 then f4 which would lead the engines to lock up the position where you can then simply load up pieces at leisure with no tactics to be wary of. I think hardware is not the thing that makes today's engines so strong, but rather the software side has improved dramatically. I think someone who was able to beat say Genius 3 on a P90 would have a good chance even at 4 Ghz ... but take that same person and put him against Rybka at 200 Mhz or maybe even Stockfish or Komodo ... and all bets are off.
Bill Rogers

Post by Bill Rogers »

Ed

I have an old laptop that fits that description and would be willing to test your program.

Bill
LiquidNitrogenOverclocker

Post by LiquidNitrogenOverclocker »

Bill Rogers wrote:Ed

I have an old laptop that fits that description and would be willing to test your program.

Bill
Much appreciated Bill. I am hoping you have about 1 GB of RAM, otherwise it might create a virtual memory swap file and really slow things down.
Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

Hood wrote:Chessgenius 3.0 on I486 was rated about 2300-2400 on SSDF 1994 .
So there are for sure more people who can compete with.
For sure? Are there more than 7 millions humans stronger than 2300? ;)

Alex
Hood

Post by Hood »

Brunetti wrote: For sure? Are there more than 7 millions humans stronger than 2300? ;)

Alex
If you are counting the people who are not playing chess at all :-)

rgds
chris
Polish National tragedy in Smoleńsk. President and all delegation murdered or killed.
Cui bono ?

There are not bugs free programs.
There are programs with undiscovered bugs.

Ashes to ashes dust to dust. Alleluia.
Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

Hood wrote:If you are counting the people who are not playing chess at all :-)
You said Humans :)
Anyway, people who know how to play a game are at least 600 millions (available estimates), while more than 200M play online. Even considering only the offical players of all chess federations, around 9 millions, you get that 99.9% are wekaer than 2289 :)

Alex
IQ

Post by IQ »

LiquidNitrogenOverclocker wrote:I have this one running at 4.5 GHz
It seems that you have some experience in watercooling and overclocking. I am thinking about buying a new system and am also looking into watercooling options. My main concern is noise. The computer should be passive (except for the pump) when idle and doing stuff like webbrowsing. For chess and games the computer can be a little louder, with some fans at low speeds. I was thinking about an "aquaduct 720" and another external passive radiator, like the mora or something. What do you think?

IQ wrote: It seems that you have some experience in watercooling and overclocking. I am thinking about buying a new system and am also looking into watercooling options. My main concern is noise. The computer should be passive (except for the pump) when idle and doing stuff like webbrowsing. For chess and games the computer can be a little louder, with some fans at low speeds. I was thinking about an "aquaduct 720" and another external passive radiator, like the mora or something. What do you think?
I have a noiseless pump and radiator system. This took a bit of research, and results varied also depending on the power supply that was used.

You can see the full system here:

http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.c ... shop.shtml

I am working on a quieter system using what is called Thermoelectric Cooling, or sometimes Peltier Cooling. There are no moving parts in this configuration, no liquid to circulate, etc, so it is probably going to be much better overall.

One thing I found out about water cooling: There are better liquids to circulate through the system than "water". With water, you have to worry about algae buildup eventually showing up on the insides of your tubes! Then you have to take it all apart, clean it out, and start all over again.

One thing I will caution you about if you are just starting: Be prepared to throw at least 1 or 2 motherboards into the trash. Inevitably, you will overvoltage it, freeze it, burn it, or otherwise do something that will either mess it up, or fry your CPU.

Best of luck with your venture!
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

It makes a lot more sense to use large slow moving fans to cool the radiator than to keep it completely passive. In the end you want to be below a certain noise thresh hold. In my case usually that is the fan of the power supply as I can cool the VGA card and chipset fan (if there) with a large passive HS or even run it in a water loop. The larger the radiator the easier it is to cool the water. Using a fan dramatically increases the airflow and efficiency of the radiator ... just make sure it is a large fan or fans. I have a dial controlled fan controller which I slow down all the way to the level of the PS fan. This way you get good cooling and almost no noise. I have my Octa Skulltrail cooled this way with 8 cores overclocked from 3.2 Ghz to 4 Ghz and it has been running for more than a year non stop 24/7 with no problems.

M ANSARI wrote:I have my Octa Skulltrail cooled this way with 8 cores overclocked from 3.2 Ghz to 4 Ghz and it has been running for more than a year non stop 24/7 with no problems.
Sometime, could you run my benchmark on it?

http://www.liquidnitrogenoverclocking.c ... ults.shtml

I'd like to know where you would be in our rankings. It will probably only take 4 hours 15 minutes on your system.