Linux GUI with variation board

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pgeorges

Re: Linux GUI with variation board

Post by pgeorges »

muxecoid wrote:Sorry. I mean something similar to variation board in Arena. You look at engine output lines, select a line and GUI plays the moves from engine PVs on a separate board.
Scid can display a board next to an engine's window which shows engine's main line. I don't know if it is what you are looking for.

Pascal Georges
muxecoid

Post by muxecoid »

pgeorges wrote:
muxecoid wrote:Sorry. I mean something similar to variation board in Arena. You look at engine output lines, select a line and GUI plays the moves from engine PVs on a separate board.
Scid can display a board next to an engine's window which shows engine's main line. I don't know if it is what you are looking for.

Pascal Georges
Scid only shows the position after the last line of only the first PV and does not let you visually walk over the moves one by one.
I'll check the changes to xboard once the version with changes becomes more stable.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

What do you mean, "more stable"? If you mean "fewer bugs", it will probably never get more stable than it is now, as there are currently no known bugs. If you mean "not changing so fast", it is not likely to become less unstable than it is now, as we don't intend to slow down the pace of progress. There are still many features that XBoard is lacking compared to WinBoard. Even forgetting all the menu dialogs for interactively controlling the GUI settings, there are the chat windows, the ICS context menu, bitmap-based board graphics...