WOW! The Rybka Affair reaches into mainstream news

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Steve B

Re: WOW! The Rybka Affair reaches into mainstream news

Post by Steve B »

bob wrote:
Steve B wrote:
JuLieN wrote:
Steve B wrote:Well now that this issue has made the mainstream media
we do need our moderating team to dress appropriately from hereon in when talking to TV reporters and the press
i propose that they come to work here each day in a suit and tie

CNN Regards
Steve
Stave, there is a reason why "Bob" and "tie" are words that don't share a single character :)
:o
You know its just my luck Julien
i moderator here during all of the controversy from day one (2009) till just a few weeks ago
and NOW all of the media glitz will come rushing in ..awarding movie contracts and book deals to the current mod team
and i will be left out in the cold with nothing
is that fair i ask you?
Story Of My Life Regards
Steve
I'd bet I can talk Sam into swapping me for you if you want... Better watch out as sometimes you get what you wish for... :)
Ill stay put as a causal observer and Alternate Moderator
i am more comfortable logging on in my bathrobe and slippers rather then a suit and tie
anyway..if you guys(mods) do go on to fame and fortune it would be nice if you vote me a percentage of the fortune
maybe 25%?
you can have all of the fame .

Early Negotiating Posture Regards
Steve
jdart

Post by jdart »

I can read German, although I'm not completely fluent.

The article seemed balanced and accurate, to me.

--Jon
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Dr. Axel Schumacher wrote:I have to say I was surprised to find the Fruit-Rybka code stealing story in the major German news-magazine, Der Spiegel:

http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/ ... 16,00.html
Here is the Google Translator version into English:

German to English translation
SPIEGEL ONLINE
SPIEGEL ONLINE
03. March 2011, 16:03 clock
Rybka chess software
Programmers assume Intelligenzklau

Frank Patalong

Also, the computer chess scene has her copy and paste scandal. Pilloried Vasik is Rajlich, developers of Rybka, the strongest chess program in four years the world. Rybka is this, then the accusation, based on plagiarized code. Copies will be on the scene quite often.

The computer chess program Rybka, which was for four years as the strongest program in the world and since 2007 four times in a row, the computer chess world championship should be decided, based on an engine that is at least in part on copied code. The at least maintained, the programmer just this code, Fabien Letouzey signed, have a letter from the thirteen other internationally renowned experts and computer chess programmers. The letter is addressed as a complaint to the ICGA International Computer Games Association, which hosts the Computer Chess World Championship.

Diehitzige debate about the supposedly fairly widespread copying style now is like a religious war, in which professionals make to each other in some shifting alliances allegations or say but confidence. The bizarre wrangling throws a spotlight on one scene in which to decide today even minimal differences in quality sometimes for a long time ranking positions and the real innovation progress are more difficult to achieve.

Letouzey claims in his letter of complaint that the programmers have taken over since the Vasik Rajlich Rybka 1.0 beta (2005) he developed parts of the chess engine Fruit. At this time Fruit was 2.1 as one of the strongest engines of the world, prior versions of Rybka, however, were not noticed positive. With the version 1.0 beta program that changed abruptly: Rybka showed tremendous skill level that could be developed by the developers in the next two years - since 2007 Rybka dominates the competitive environment almost at will.

This, however, claims Letouzey, was revealed by the improper transfer of source code from the time under the open source GNU Public License (GPL) Fruit-Engine have been possible - a breach of the terms of the license. Since the publication of the allegations it cooks in the forums of the chess community.

Software can not simply look under the hood

Who now believes, however, those issues would be decided by comparing the source code to but slightly wrong. First, is trending in the scene well: In variants of "mutual learning" about the reverse engineering - trying nachzuprogrammieren functions of a program - extend to the takeover code. In addition, all programmers use public domain code snippets, which provides for similarities here and there. Absolutely you need for the comparison but look at the source code, and that is not in the commercial programs given.

Even if: a comparison of source code is extremely complicated, says Matthias Wüllenweber from the Hamburg company Chessbase chess computer, which acts in addition to his own program Fritz as a distributor of competing programs such as Shredder and Rybka. Principle is based on athletic competition brushed chess programmers scene calibrated on confidentiality: a scientific exchange on how to programmatically achieve something, so think "instead of just on the back burner."

Wüllenweber: "The launch of Fruit was unusual, because this two groundbreaking ideas were known seems to me that all good chess programmers tried an adaptation of these ideas when Vas has Rajlich done the same, then he is probably the only one who managed to.. because its program from the beginning played so much stronger than Fruit. "

But it is also copied? to clarify this question is not so easy. The technical problem explains Wüllenweber, lies in the fact that a program whose source code is not available one, is very difficult to understand. The source code ("Source") is itself not even the program but must first be converted by the compiler to individual machine instructions that the processor can execute step by step.

But you can not close back on the implementation of a command to the source code - an equal-appearing effect can be achieved in different ways. Similarities in the performance of a program are therefore less significant than similarities in source code. Striking parallels are there, however, difficult to explain by chance - they are more evidence of "copy & paste".

A shot that backfired

Such was evidently the Rajlich himself when he made against his program until the process was initiated: Rajlich when comparing his program had discovered the competition program Strelka striking similarities and alleged that this was copied from Rybka. Not at all, to defend themselves then the developers: they would rather copied the open source Fruit 2.1.

Developers Letouzey whose estimated the same after repeated testing of source code snippets, all of a sudden the accuser was pilloried Rajlich - Rybka Developer of the accused with his accusations against Strelka quasi itself.

Meanwhile Rybka program became modified by the competitor Houdini under pressure, a program that is deemed to still play more - but also as possibly plagiarized: Houdini is said to have served the competitor Ippolit, and that in turn is based on Rybka - and thus on Fruit 2.1 ? The question is not decided in the rankings of the top spot Houdini has therefore not been able to take.

Many small clones?

Letouzey middle of the last decade had set one of the last major milestones: With Fruit, he ventured a slightly different approach in the style of play that made the program temporarily to play one of the strongest in the world.

Fruit of the open source engine has been running the core of many chess programs based on it - what's under the GPL okay, as long as the resulting program is then re-released under the GPL. Matthias Wüllenweber: "The power of open source is that all improvements are again exposed to the quality of the software increases continuously Rybka is not open source.."

Rajlich, so Letouzeys appeal to the ICGA, had violated this rule, Rybka should therefore be classified as Fruit-clone. Whether that happens will be decided with the "Clone and Derivative Investigation Panel" means a committee of the ICGA, which was founded only last month in response to the bizarre programmers Dispute: From now on, the computer makes World Cup organizers, a commission, whose sole purpose is to clarify allegations of cloning is.

That might be worth it obviously.

URL:

* Http://www.spiegel.de/netzwelt/gadgets/0, 1518,748616,00. Html

MORE ON THE INTERNET

* ICGA International Computer Games Association
http://ilk.uvt.nl/icga/
* Computer chess program Rybka
http://www.rybkachess.com/deutsch/index.php
* Fruit Engine
http://www.fruitchess.com/indexde.htm
* Homepage ChessBase
http://www.chessbase.de
SPIEGEL ONLINE is not liable
for the content of external internet sites.

© SPIEGEL ONLINE 2011
All rights reserved
Reproduction only with the permission of SPIEGELnet GmbH
Listen
Read phonetically
Dictionary - View detailed dictionary
Google Translate for my:SearchesVideosEmailPhoneChatBusiness
About Google TranslateTurn off instant translationPrivacyHelp
©2010Business ToolsTranslator ToolkitAbout Google TranslateBlogPrivacyHelp
►
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Albert Silver wrote:Germany's top comp mag too:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/ ... 00222.html
Translated from German to English using Google translator:

Plagiarism allegation against computer chess world champion Update
Message aloud and MP3 Download

Disruption when the chess programmers: The acting for four years of computer chess world champion Rybka is projected to decline substantially in on abusive used code. Chief Developer Vasik have Rajlich taken in his closed-source project, part of the Engine Fruit, which were protected by the GNU Public License (GPL) - this charge is expressed not only the Fruit developers Fabien Letouzey: Some of the most famous chess engine developers have an open Letouzeys letter signed, including Stefan Meyer-Kahlen (Shredder), Amir Ban (Junior), Anthony Cozzi and Zach Wegner (Zappa).

The beginnings were modest Rybka: In his first computer chess tournaments, scored the Czech "little fish" results at the lower edge of irrelevance. This changed with version 1.0 beta. In December 2005, the program suddenly stormed to the top since 2007 and won four world championships. Meanwhile, the leader distributes ChessBase in Hamburg, the program that is currently in version 4.

At the time of Rybka's performance leap Fruit was one of the strongest engines of the world, in the summer of 2005 was published version 2.1 under GPL. The commercially available successor was closed source, for several years, Fruit deprecated. After detailed investigations Zach Wegner concludes that Rybka 1.0 for the estimation of positions in essentially the same algorithms as used fruit, but in a slightly improved form. More thoroughly the proof is in the PDF. The signatories of the open letter argue therefore in favor of Rybka Fruit classified as derivative.

Ironically, had the fish versus fruits Causa by another code-Klau rolling: The first published in 2007, open-source engine "Strelka" showed striking similarities in the position estimation with Rybka. Rajlich it recognized the decompiled code of Rybka and Strelka claimed as its intellectual property. Its developers claimed it, he relied solely on Fruit - an assessment that tells Fabien Letouzey. Rajlich insistence on the similarities between Rybka and Strelka could turn against him so.

Recently, Rybka is not the strongest engine: Three weeks ago, the program lost a match against a new rival named Houdini and therefore its top position in the major rankings. Houdini is said to have served at the open-source project Ippolit, which is in turn an offshoot of Rybka - no wonder the International Computer Games Association (ICGA), the organizer of world championships, for, given the rough manners in the industry is now a panel has launched investigations of clones and offspring to life.