Rybka disqualified and banned from World Computer Chess Cham

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

John Conway

Re: Rybka disqualified and banned from World Computer Chess

Post by John Conway »

geots wrote:
kinderchocolate wrote:http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/rybka ... pionships/

In case people haven't read that.

I suppose people like Bob, Theron and Zach are happy. They managed to help get rid of competition they were never smart enough to beat. On the way out, 2 things: 1. If i wanted a world champion engine, I would never be stupid enough to get anything from Crafty. Thats's like copying from VWagen to improve a Rolls Royce. Nobody is that f***ing stupid. 2. Concerning the picture in the post with Karpov and the horse.... and the explanation of the one on the "left" and the one on the "right" would have been crucial if it had been a picture of Hyatt, Zach or Christophe and the horse was turned around. One would wonder if mods are brave enough to leave this thread. My money is on chicken-shit. Rest of my money would ride on "I don't give a rats ass."
Of course it is expected that some of the fan boys will stand by their disgraced hero.

Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

John Conway wrote:
geots wrote:

I suppose people like Bob, Theron and Zach are happy. They managed to help get rid of competition they were never smart enough to beat. On the way out, 2 things: 1. If i wanted a world champion engine, I would never be stupid enough to get anything from Crafty. Thats's like copying from VWagen to improve a Rolls Royce. Nobody is that f***ing stupid. 2. Concerning the picture in the post with Karpov and the horse.... and the explanation of the one on the "left" and the one on the "right" would have been crucial if it had been a picture of Hyatt, Zach or Christophe and the horse was turned around. One would wonder if mods are brave enough to leave this thread. My money is on chicken-shit. Rest of my money would ride on "I don't give a rats ass."
Of course it is expected that some of the fan boys will stand by their disgraced hero.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

The punishement that I read include ban for life.
"7.Vasik Rajlich is banned for life from competing in the World Computer Chess Championship or any other event organized by or sanctioned by the ICGA."

Do you think that it is a fair punishement?
For comparison Ben Johnson did not get a ban for life.
Last edited by Uri Blass on Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
geots

Post by geots »

Terry McCracken wrote:
geots wrote:

Your vile accusations against Bob, Zach, Christophe et al are reprehensible. You're talking out of you ass as usual filling the forum with a vile stench! I wouldn't bat an eye if you were banned or even sued. You've asked for it!

As for Vas, he was that stupid. Vas is a hack and I hope Fabien sues his ass.

As for the skills of Bob Hyatt you haven't a clue and if Christophe wanted the best program all he would have needed to do is take the same route Vas did and it would be better than Rybka or Houdini as he's that talented !

All you condemn, the pioneers of chess, have far more talent then a plagerist!

The earth is flat in your world. You're a fanatic.

Tony, or Tim, or whatever the hell your name is- I wouldn't give you a nickel for the whole bunch that railroaded Vas. And the above 3 mentioned couldnt write a championship program if they were the only 3 writing programs. But on my way out of here-I GOT AN EVEN DEAL FOR YOU. Hold both your hands out. Shit in one and wait for me to give a damn what you think about anything I say or do in the other- and see which hand fills up first.

Adios, Einstein.
sje

Post by sje »

Dann Corbit wrote: The similarity in search and eval are not very condemnatory in my view.

The duplication of errors and dead code is.

I do not think that it has been demonstrated that Rybka has broken the law. But it seems to me that their finding is not unreasonable as far as breaking the conditions of the contest. While he does cite the named programs as sources of information, I find that things like initializations that only have purpose for Steven J. Edwards tablebase files being duplicated should make everyone uneasy about it.
To date, I haven't written much about the purported Rybka cloning topic as I hadn't read any of the investigatory papers. But as you can imagine, by interest in the matter grew somewhat when I first heard about the reported lifting of the en passant tablebase avoidance code from Crafty.

Bob had written this code at my request way back in the mid-1990s. Its purpose was to avoid probing any of my tablebase files if an en passant capture might influence the result and it was necessary because my tablebase generator did not understand retrograde en passant captures.

I have since read one of the referenced analysis papers that gives Crafty's code for this and a disassembly of its counterpart from Rybka.

After that and as far as I'm concerned, any further discussion deciding the copying issue is wholly unnecessary. It is far beyond any reasonable doubt that the en passant tablebase avoidance code could be innocently duplicated.

Incidentally, my current program still has its own version of the avoidance code:

Code: Select all

bool IsTablebaseEligible&#40;void&#41; const &#123;return &#40;ccmc <= TBMaxManLen&#41; && !BothHavePawns&#40;);&#125;
Steve B

Post by Steve B »

And so finally the Rybka charade is brought to an end
6 long years
Rightfully ..ICGA WC Tiles have been stripped and re-awarded

Rybka's only legacy now ..for all time ..will be that it is widely regarded as the Master Clone which inspired an entire Chain of Slave Clones

So It Is Written...So It Shall Be Done Regards
Steve
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

geots wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
geots wrote:

Your vile accusations against Bob, Zach, Christophe et al are reprehensible. You're talking out of you ass as usual filling the forum with a vile stench! I wouldn't bat an eye if you were banned or even sued. You've asked for it!

As for Vas, he was that stupid. Vas is a hack and I hope Fabien sues his ass.

As for the skills of Bob Hyatt you haven't a clue and if Christophe wanted the best program all he would have needed to do is take the same route Vas did and it would be better than Rybka or Houdini as he's that talented !

All you condemn, the pioneers of chess, have far more talent then a plagerist!

The earth is flat in your world. You're a fanatic.

Tony, or Tim, or whatever the hell your name is- I wouldn't give you a nickel for the whole bunch that railroaded Vas. And the above 3 mentioned couldnt write a championship program if they were the only 3 writing programs. But on my way out of here-I GOT AN EVEN DEAL FOR YOU. Hold both your hands out. Shit in one and wait for me to give a damn what you think about anything I say or do in the other- and see which hand fills up first.

Adios, Einstein.
I think Vas "Railroaded" himself. :roll: On a side note I wonder if this story will make it to the pages of Chessbase? :lol:
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Pavel Háse

Post by Rubinus »

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

"The ICGA demands that Vasik Rajlich return to the ICGA the four replicas of the Shannon Trophy presented at the World Computer Chess Championships in 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010, and to return to the ICGA all prize money awarded for Rybka’s performances in those events."

Well at least they get their "ICGA Prize Money and Trophies" returned! :lol:

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by rbarreira »

For now ChessBase is still selling Rybka.