IWCCC 2012 Changes

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: IWCCC 2012 Changes

Post by Harvey Williamson »

marcelk wrote: It is still $100 if you want to enter twice and double your chances. Or more than double as you might get to play yourself and buy yourself a free point that way :-)
You will get all the old freestyle problems 1 person in many teams and some deliberate losses when 1 team throws a game so their other team gets a point.

maybe it should be rebranded this as the world freestyle championship - there would be a lot of interest.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
marcelk wrote: It is still $100 if you want to enter twice and double your chances. Or more than double as you might get to play yourself and buy yourself a free point that way :-)
You will get all the old freestyle problems 1 person in many teams and some deliberate losses when 1 team throws a game so their other team gets a point.

maybe it should be rebranded this as the world freestyle championship - there would be a lot of interest.
I thought of that, but really, I don't think it is needed.

The rules are pretty clear, and there is an option to register as a "Centaur" on the registration page now.

Should be pretty clear.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

I thought of that, but really, I don't think it is needed.

The rules are pretty clear, and there is an option to register as a "Centaur" on the registration page now.

Should be pretty clear.

Peter
Do they need to register as a Centaur or as an engine? some might want to assist the engine in some games and let the engine play unaided in others.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: Do they need to register as a Centaur or as an engine? some might want to assist the engine in some games and let the engine play unaided in others.
As a Centaur in that instance.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: Do they need to register as a Centaur or as an engine? some might want to assist the engine in some games and let the engine play unaided in others.
As a Centaur in that instance.
So all should register as a centaur?

another question posted elsewhere:
If it's Freestyle and you are playing as a Centaur then you shouldn't have to divulge your engine or hardware beforehand. I myself use different engines for different parts of the game.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: So all should register as a centaur?
No. If an entrant is using pure engine, then register as a computer. If there will be "human" play as well in any part of the game/s then register as a Centaur.

Centaur implies there WILL be an engine used. How much it is used will be up to the participant. Entry doesn't change at all.
Harvey Williamson wrote:If it's Freestyle and you are playing as a Centaur then you shouldn't have to divulge your engine or hardware beforehand. I myself use different engines for different parts of the game.
As quoted above, a Centaur entry implies there will be an engine used, so it would only be fair to put the hardware and engine/s used for the event.

Peter
Harvey Williamson

Peter Skinner wrote:
As quoted above, a Centaur entry implies there will be an engine used, so it would only be fair to put the hardware and engine/s used for the event.

Peter
But you will have no way of checking this. They can write anything on the entry form like they are using Bam Bam on 1 core.

You will also have no way of knowing who is in which team. Or who is part of multiple teams.

Freestyle is fun but it also creates lots of fights :)
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

I assume you must be good with the winboard interface to compete in this tournament?
Harvey Williamson

kgburcham wrote:I assume you must be good with the winboard interface to compete in this tournament?
Run CB in another window and just manually input the moves.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: As quoted above, a Centaur entry implies there will be an engine used, so it would only be fair to put the hardware and engine/s used for the event.
Peter
But you will have no way of checking this. They can write anything on the entry form like they are using Bam Bam on 1 core.
You will also have no way of knowing who is in which team. Or who is part of multiple teams.
Freestyle is fun but it also creates lots of fights :)
I was trying to think of some examples of what you might be talking about Harvey, for example if a guy enters 4 programs and he has one person and one system that could win. He can have the other three throw three games and then he has a 3 game lead. Of course I assume there are other ways also, but I dont care. If I enter I will just play my best as a centaur.