IWCCC 2012 Changes

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: IWCCC 2012 Changes

Post by Harvey Williamson »

kgburcham wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote: As quoted above, a Centaur entry implies there will be an engine used, so it would only be fair to put the hardware and engine/s used for the event.
Peter
But you will have no way of checking this. They can write anything on the entry form like they are using Bam Bam on 1 core.
You will also have no way of knowing who is in which team. Or who is part of multiple teams.
Freestyle is fun but it also creates lots of fights :)
I was trying to think of some examples of what you might be talking about Harvey, for example if a guy enters 4 programs and he has one person and one system that could win. He can have the other three throw three games and then he has a 3 game lead. Of course I assume there are other ways also, but I dont care. If I enter I will just play my best as a centaur.
The top freestylers are teams of people not individuals. They will use multiple engines and hardware ( if the prize is big enough) They may make multiple entries. If 1 entry is doing better than the other and they are paired against each other they can engineer a win/loss but not in an obvious way.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
kgburcham wrote:I assume you must be good with the winboard interface to compete in this tournament?
Run CB in another window and just manually input the moves.
Yes that is what I am familiar with at other chess servers but I dont know a thing about the HGM server
I probably should sit this one out, dont know the interface.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

kgburcham wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:
kgburcham wrote:I assume you must be good with the winboard interface to compete in this tournament?
Run CB in another window and just manually input the moves.
Yes that is what I am familiar with at other chess servers but I dont know a thing about the HGM server
I am putting together a package for those that may have issues. No worries, it is _not_ difficult to participate than playing manually on ICC or Yahoo.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Harvey Williamson wrote: But you will have no way of checking this. They can write anything on the entry form like they are using Bam Bam on 1 core.

You will also have no way of knowing who is in which team. Or who is part of multiple teams.

This is where sportsmanship and honesty come into play. There will _always_ be someone who doesn't value these traits, but there is nothing anyone can do when aims to cheat.

You can just hope for the best...

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
geots

Post by geots »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote: But you will have no way of checking this. They can write anything on the entry form like they are using Bam Bam on 1 core.

This is where sportsmanship and honesty come into play. There will _always_ be someone who doesn't value these traits, but there is nothing anyone can do when aims to cheat.

You can just hope for the best...

Peter

Let me take this chance to commend you for what you are trying to put together. If anyone has the ability and expertise- it would be you. You have more than proven that in the past.

I am speaking now of something I am only vaguely familiar with- but it seems I remember that Playchess and ICC have some precautions in place that greatly reduce the amount of cheating even attempted. Perhaps thinking about something that mimics their precautions might help.

Best,

george
Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

geots wrote: Let me take this chance to commend you for what you are trying to put together. If anyone has the ability and expertise- it would be you. You have more than proven that in the past.

I am speaking now of something I am only vaguely familiar with- but it seems I remember that Playchess and ICC have some precautions in place that greatly reduce the amount of cheating even attempted. Perhaps thinking about something that mimics their precautions might help.

Best,

george
Being there are Centaur accounts, the only fear for cheating is people dumping games to help friends. This is something I hope to avoid through sportsmanship.

This is meant to be a good, fun event. Nothing more.

Peter
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

kgburcham wrote:Yes that is what I am familiar with at other chess servers but I dont know a thing about the HGM server
It is FICS-like.
Harvey Williamson

Under no circumstances are separate teams to help another team win the event. This has been done during other Freestyle events, but will not be tolerated

This rule is totally unenforceble. You have no idea who is in which team. It will happen once someones game is over they will go and analyse their frinds games and help them.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Under no circumstances are separate teams to help another team win the event. This has been done during other Freestyle events, but will not be tolerated

This rule is totally unenforceble. You have no idea who is in which team. It will happen once someones game is over they will go and analyse their frinds games and help them.
I think that a better system is simply candidate matchs so even if you have more than one entry you cannot cheat by losing on purpose.

Of course you can increase your chances by more than one entry but I am not sure if it is so easy because if the games happen at the same time you also need to have twice the same hardware to perform at full strength with both entries.
Harvey Williamson

Uri Blass wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

I think that a better system is simply candidate matchs so even if you have more than one entry you cannot cheat by losing on purpose.

Of course you can increase your chances by more than one entry but I am not sure if it is so easy because if the games happen at the same time you also need to have twice the same hardware to perform at full strength with both entries.
This happened in the previous freestyle tournaments when there was money to be won. Hopefully it will not happen here but i suspect it will.

recruit a team of 6 people who have good hardware - make 3 or 4 entries and then after a couple of rounds concentrate on the one that id soing the best.