Komodo 5 release now available!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Don

Re: Komodo 5 release now available!

Post by Don »

A few people have tried to download from the site and just get Komodo 4 instead of Komodo 5.

We are doing something different this time - you will get an email with a temporary link - which you can use to download komodo 5. But I have had 3 or 4 reports of the email not coming - as it turns out the email MAY appear in your junk or spam folder - so check there if you don't receive it withing 5 minutes or so.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

Don wrote:A few people have tried to download from the site and just get Komodo 4 instead of Komodo 5.

We are doing something different this time - you will get an email with a temporary link - which you can use to download komodo 5. But I have had 3 or 4 reports of the email not coming - as it turns out the email MAY appear in your junk or spam folder - so check there if you don't receive it withing 5 minutes or so.

Don
All went just very fine for me :wink:
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Don wrote:A few people have tried to download from the site and just get Komodo 4 instead of Komodo 5.

Don
I ordered Komodo 5 and am looking forward to analyzing with it! I ordered it about 20 minutes ago and haven't received the download email as of yet. Just checking on that. I did receive conformation from paypal.
melajara

Post by melajara »

Don wrote:
melajara wrote:Hi Don,

Congratulations for this timely move, very much appreciated :D

Did my proposal of "gentleman agreement" had any relevance to your decision or was it just a mere coincidence?

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 09&t=44274

Very best regards.
It had no bearing whatsoever - we made the decisions about a week ago and 2 or 3 weeks ago we were talking about making another SP release. The biggest blocker was the komodo 4 MP promise, but we realized the way around that was to give Komodo 5 MP to previous customers at the same price. I think what we did was best.

I don't play games with the release schedule with respect to what someone else is doing, that really makes no sense since we cannot predict the future. We do what is best for us at the time. However we use some common sense - not to release too often or immediately after someone else has just released something in the same class. Promises and speculation are notoriously unreliable anyway.
Yes, of course, to release today you must have planned it some weeks ago ;-)

I'm following the unfolding match on IPPON right now.
On the first check (after about 430 games) Komodo 5 had a transitional 3003 ELO. Now (after 555 games) it dropped to 2992. Hopefully it will climb back to the 3000 threshold for the final rating.

Anyway, now that the release is public, the community will rejoice, analyze, and maybe find unsuspected weak spots your internal testing didn't unveil. That's the best point of frequent releases, IMHO.

Thank you again for the good work.
Per ardua ad astra
MM

Post by MM »

tomgdrums wrote:

Don
I ordered Komodo 5 and am looking forward to analyzing with it! I ordered it about 20 minutes ago and haven't received the download email as of yet. Just checking on that. I did receive conformation from paypal.
I mailed 4 times Don dailey on his email address and no answer.

Best Regards
MM
MM

Post by MM »

I am waiting for a reply of Don Dailey to my (4) mails and i see Komodo5 having around 8 elo over Komodo4 at ipon chess. 650 games out of 2550.

Best Regards
MM
MM

Post by MM »

melajara wrote:
Don wrote:
melajara wrote:Hi Don,

Congratulations for this timely move, very much appreciated :D

Did my proposal of "gentleman agreement" had any relevance to your decision or was it just a mere coincidence?

http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 09&t=44274

Very best regards.
It had no bearing whatsoever - we made the decisions about a week ago and 2 or 3 weeks ago we were talking about making another SP release. The biggest blocker was the komodo 4 MP promise, but we realized the way around that was to give Komodo 5 MP to previous customers at the same price. I think what we did was best.

I don't play games with the release schedule with respect to what someone else is doing, that really makes no sense since we cannot predict the future. We do what is best for us at the time. However we use some common sense - not to release too often or immediately after someone else has just released something in the same class. Promises and speculation are notoriously unreliable anyway.
Yes, of course, to release today you must have planned it some weeks ago ;-)

I'm following the unfolding match on IPPON right now.

Anyway, now that the release is public, the community will rejoice, analyze, and maybe find unsuspected weak spots your internal testing didn't unveil. That's the best point of frequent releases, IMHO.
+1

Facts against words.

Best Regards
MM
Don

Post by Don »

MM wrote:I am waiting for a reply of Don Dailey to my (4) mails and i see Komodo5 having around 8 elo over Komodo4 at ipon chess. 650 games out of 2550.

Best Regards
When did you send those emails? I only now just got them.

Don
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
MM

Post by MM »

Don wrote:
MM wrote:I am waiting for a reply of Don Dailey to my (4) mails and i see Komodo5 having around 8 elo over Komodo4 at ipon chess. 650 games out of 2550.

Best Regards
When did you send those emails? I only now just got them.

Don
I received your answer Don, i sent them to your personal email address.

Thank you

Best Regards
MM
MM

Post by MM »

Hi Don, does this version support sse42 and or chess960?

I address you the 1st problem. Huge number of losses on time in match 10 seconds per game without increment against Houdini 2.0c.

Best Regards
MM