Houdini 3 Oct 10 Release??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bupalo

Re: Houdini 3 Oct 10 Release??

Post by bupalo »

keep like this , MP is not so important like to have a very stable and original engine
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

bupalo wrote:keep like this , MP is not so important like to have a very stable and original engine
Well, we intend to have both!
bupalo

Post by bupalo »

However as I told in a previuos post in the ivy bridge Komodo is much faster and much stronger!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Hi Larry, I think I'm not the only one who got the impression the MP version would have been out sooner. It's been eagerly awaited, so it would likely be a mistake not to focus on its release this year. Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully, Don will work all the kinks out. Komodo MP should be a terrific engine. The additional speed will probably cement the #2 position, or it may even challenge Houdini 3 for #1. Since it's a positional engine, I won't mind if it is 'only' #2, as it may prove to be the best analysis engine overall, something it has almost achieved already.

Best regards,
Carl
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

+1 :-) 8-)
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

carldaman wrote:Hi Larry, I think I'm not the only one who got the impression the MP version would have been out sooner. It's been eagerly awaited, so it would likely be a mistake not to focus on its release this year. Just my 2 cents.

Hopefully, Don will work all the kinks out. Komodo MP should be a terrific engine. The additional speed will probably cement the #2 position, or it may even challenge Houdini 3 for #1. Since it's a positional engine, I won't mind if it is 'only' #2, as it may prove to be the best analysis engine overall, something it has almost achieved already.

Best regards,
Carl
They are tactically awaiting the release of Houdini 3 and then they'll strike 8-)
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Lion

Post by Lion »

Well, not sure that would be commercially wise....
Folks who just spent some bucks on Houdini would then likely not spend quickly some more money for a 2nd engine.....
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

carldaman wrote:Hi Larry, I think I'm not the only one who got the impression the MP version would have been out sooner. It's been eagerly awaited, so it would likely be a mistake not to focus on its release this year. Just my 2 cents.

Best regards,
Carl
I'm just as surprised as everyone else that MP has taken so long; my only direct involvement with it has been to test earlier versions, which were judged inadequate for release. We did not purposely wait for H3. We have had two goals, namely to catch or surpass H2 on 1 core and to release a respectible MP version. I'm satisfied that we have achieved the first goal now. I expect the second to be weeks away, not months, but I've been wrong about this in the past so don't sue me if I'm wrong.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Lion wrote:Well, not sure that would be commercially wise....
Folks who just spent some bucks on Houdini would then likely not spend quickly some more money for a 2nd engine.....
The Komodo team is chasing a moving target and believe me it's not that easy ta catch up and release a proper chess engine let alone to gain success commercial wise.......

Another point of view is that they'll take a closer look at Houdini 3....after all it will be the current moving target to catch up with :wink:
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
kranium

Post by kranium »

lkaufman wrote: I'm just as surprised as everyone else that MP has taken so long; my only direct involvement with it has been to test earlier versions, which were judged inadequate for release. We did not purposely wait for H3. We have had two goals, namely to catch or surpass H2 on 1 core and to release a respectible MP version. I'm satisfied that we have achieved the first goal now. I expect the second to be weeks away, not months, but I've been wrong about this in the past so don't sue me if I'm wrong.
Komodo is definitely engine of the year in my book...
SMP is not critical IMO, the engine shows it's power in 1 CPU mode

it's no wonder everyone is so excited about it...
conrgrats on your efforts to date.

please give Don all the time he needs to get the SMP good/optimal.
pressure only hinders perfection,
release dates don't matter

IMHO, any user would be nuts to purchase Houdini solely 'in place' of Komodo
i'm quite sure that most want strong analysis that is original and unique (and that's what you guys are delivering)