Feedback request: libchessinterface

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JonasThiem

Re: Feedback request: libchessinterface

Post by JonasThiem »

It's an interesting project, but it's a little ambitious for your first attempt. Do you think so?
No. :)

The point of the project is to make an own implementation obsolete, not to serve a few GUI programmer starters and sending all those who want to do more complete protocol support to their own implementations again.

If that makes the API a bit harder to learn, then I can't help it - although my choice of a C api probably makes this worse, C++ is a bit nicer for organising api calls. But since I use C myself for many projects, I don't want to focus purely on the C++ crowd.
diep

Post by diep »

JonasThiem wrote:
It's an interesting project, but it's a little ambitious for your first attempt. Do you think so?
No. :)

The point of the project is to make an own implementation obsolete, not to serve a few GUI programmer starters and sending all those who want to do more complete protocol support to their own implementations again.

If that makes the API a bit harder to learn, then I can't help it - although my choice of a C api probably makes this worse, C++ is a bit nicer for organising api calls. But since I use C myself for many projects, I don't want to focus purely on the C++ crowd.
Why do i get the impression you still live in the 80s?
As for the engine we can discuss what's more interesting C or C++. I prefer C for a single programmer.

If you want to setup in the 21th century a GUI however, which non-object oriented programming language allows you to easily build a GUI that's sellable?

I know 0 of such libraries.

It's all Java or C++, with m$ trying to promote C# of course but it's difficult to see that as an imperative language is it?

All GUI's i setup or had setup in the 21th century of course were in C++. It's not even a question you know. There are no alternatives other than Java and C++ for professional GUI's.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Sounds interesting, wish you the best of luck in your en devour!