What should Robert do? (read post first before you vote)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

What should Robert do ?

Leave things as they are, I don't care
26%
Give credit to Norman and Milos for their initial work
22%
Compensate Norman and Milos financially
7%
I only want Robert to admit the Robbolito origin
45%

Total votes: 91

Lavir

Re: What should Robert do? (read post first before you vote)

Post by Lavir »

kranium wrote: 1st:
Roberto Pescatore is a very common name...
probably 100s or 1000s in Italy alone?
Don't say idiocies please. "Pescatore" is not a "common" last name in Italy at all. If you take a telephone book and search for it in all Rome (for example, one of the largest cities) there is NOBODY with that last name.

If you don't know for certainty the things you are discussing about, don't discuss them.
kranium wrote: 2nd:
pseudonyms fit perfectly with the whole communist style 'workers' revolution
i.e. the Decembrists have numbers...
And pseudonyms are not real names, especially when you don't know to whom the pseudonym is tied to.

For example also if my pseudonym "Lavir" is well known in esoteric fora and almost everybody there knows that it is me, in any case someone else can use it not being me (I've seen it around in fact), how can you be 100% sure? And even if it was me and I supposedly say something against the law and someone sue me, I can always insist that it was not me, where is the proof that that "Lavir" was really me if there is nothing else to prove it (as IP address or something concrete)?

A pseudonym for the law means nothing. This naturally is good in a certain sense and bad in another. It is good in the sense that the the "Decembrist" could commit an illegal action with difficult repercussion, but at the same time when it comes to defend their "rights" they have none in the same way.
Last edited by Lavir on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

kranium wrote:Ed,
i'm not interested in being compensated, and am not seeking individual recognition...
i did it for the love of chess and programming
Thank you Norman, that's very generous of you.
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

Rebel wrote: 4. There is absolutely no kind of wrong doing if Robert would have started from the Italian freeware Robbolito or the raw Ippolito, fact is he did not and started from the GPL protected English Robbolito which only protects the work Norman and Milos have done to Robbolito.
Ok. Let's now assume that there is 100% proof of Robert using the English GPL version (also if there isn't), where is the proof that Robert used the work proprietary of Norman and Milos? Translating is NOT proprietary work at all (and on the contrary it would be amusing to let see Norman pass something as that in the FSF for example) and you also need proof that what Norman has done couldn't be implemented by any other programmer in the same (or very similar, that it becomes exact in ASM) way.

You see, there are some things that can be unique, some that are not. Here it is a problem of separating what Norman/Milos have done and see if Robert has used those things or not and to even see if Robert (or anybody else) could not come by him/herself with similar changes starting from the free source.

Now, want someone please provide me 100% proof of the above (i.e. that Robert did take the part of work proprietary of Norman and that he couldn't come with the same or similar changes therein by himself)? Thanks. I want to see it.

Before insisting someone is a "copier of proprietary work" and whatnot you should be 100% sure of what you say, because if Robert started from the free source Ippo (either using the translations done to work better) he has done nothing wrong and "copied" nothing.

Moreover and apart this, I insist on the fact that if Robert is indeed a copier for what he has done (and it can certainly be the case) the other top engines programmers are too in the same exact way because they did the same. It is not just because you do a different implementation that you suddenly don't copy.

So why it's only Robert the objective of denigration?
Last edited by Lavir on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
kranium

Post by kranium »

Lavir wrote:
kranium wrote: 1st:
Roberto Pescatore is a very common name...
probably 100s or 1000s in Italy alone?
Don't say idiocies please. "Pescatore" is not a "common" last name in Italy at all. If you take a telephone book and search for it in all Rome (for example, one of the largest cities) there is NOBODY with that last name.

If you don't know for certainty the things you are discussing about, don't discuss them.
in my book it's ok to discuss anything, thats part of life/learning

anyway, my bad on the name...
in English 'Fisher' or 'Fischer' (not sure about Fisherman?) would be fairly common

very interesting to know 'Pescatore' is so unusual!
thx
Last edited by kranium on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

It exist, certainly, but it is not common.

Why it is not so common is perhaps to be ascribed to the fact that "pescatore" was considered as a poor profession and so it could also used as a denigration in some cases, and for this it is obvious that families would not be so happy to have their ties tied to it.

While it's naturally the contrary for terms that can represent "power" or similar.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Lavir wrote: OMG.
We already know who you worship :wink:

Seriously that you fail to see that ippo* is RE of a strong engine is not my problem.
You are crying on the wrong grave.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

mar wrote: What's funny is that Houdart cries because someone REd his engine, claiming it's illegal, but the ippo* family is exactly that, so sort of double standard.
If RE is illegal then ippo* is too. But if it's public domain then it's ok?
Funny really :)
There is not a shred of evidence that Ippolit was produced by reverse engineering Rybka. This is a lod of BS and the lies and smearing campaigns instigated by Vasick Rajlich and his pathetic fan-club.

Ippolit is an original engine. PERIOD. People need to stop spreading these rumours.

(and the fact that its authors use pseudonyms is irrelevant)

What *IS* a reversed enginering of Rybka 3 is Strelka 3. This was stated by Yuri Osipov (author of strelka). Osipov did exactly the same as Richard Vida did with Houdini. He started from his own Fruit rewrite and backported the changes that Vasick did to Fruit.

That makes it clear onece more that Rybka is based on Fruit (for those who still believe that the Earth is flat and Rybka is an original program). And when you look at Ippolit/Robbolito/Iggorit/IvanHoe and Fruit, it is very clear that they are completely different programs.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

lucasart wrote:Ippolit is an original engine. PERIOD. People need to stop spreading these rumours.
Do you really believe that?
PS I'm noone's fanboy.
Lavir

Post by Lavir »

mar wrote: We already know who you worship :wink:
I worship nobody but myself.

I'm just astounded to see how some people like you can use some double moral standards and not even understand what they are doing.
mar wrote: Seriously that you fail to see that ippo* is RE of a strong engine is not my problem.
Thank you for taking the time to read anything. Namely: There's not proof at all that Ippo is RE of Rybka, Vas did NOTHING about it anyway, and not only Robert used Ippo yet you act as if he was the only one.

If you did, maybe you would have understood that Ippo and Robodini have nothing in common one another. This is objectively so, it has nothing to do with being of "part" or another.
mar wrote: You are crying on the wrong grave.
I have never cried in any grave, real or metaphoric.
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

Lavir wrote:
Rebel wrote: 4. There is absolutely no kind of wrong doing if Robert would have started from the Italian freeware Robbolito or the raw Ippolito, fact is he did not and started from the GPL protected English Robbolito which only protects the work Norman and Milos have done to Robbolito.
Ok. Let's now assume that there is 100% proof of Robert using the English GPL version (also if there isn't), where is the proof that Robert used the work proprietary of Norman and Milos? Translating is NOT proprietary work at all (and on the contrary it would be amusing to let see Norman pass something as that in the FSF for example) and you also need proof that what Norman has done couldn't be implemented by any other programmer in the same (or very similar, that it becomes exact in ASM) way.

You see, there are some things that can be unique, some that are not. Here it is a problem of separating what Norman/Milos have done and see if Robert has used those things or not and to even see if Robert (or anybody else) could not come by him/herself with similar changes starting from the free source.

Now, want someone please provide me 100% proof of the above (i.e. that Robert did take the part of work proprietary of Norman and that he couldn't come with the same or similar changes therein by himself)? Thanks. I want to see it.

Before insisting someone is a "copier of proprietary work" and whatnot you should be 100% sure of what you say, because if Robert started from the free source Ippo (either using the translations done to work better) he has done nothing wrong and "copied" nothing.
That's a question for the Engine Origin section of this board. If you wish I can answer you overthere and more or less did in this thread.