CCT World Computer Chess Championship

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Re: CCT World Computer Chess Championship

Post by Peter Skinner »

Here is the final format for the CCT World Computer Chess Championship:

There will be 3 Candidate Qualifiers with a time control of 50+0, where the top 4 programs from each Qualifier, as well as the top four scoring programs from the combined 3 qualifiers that hasn't already qualified(16 total),will move on to the Quarter Finals event. A program may participate in as many candidate events as it wishes, but once qualified, it will not be allowed to play again until the Quarter Finals.

Several people have inquired if they are required to play all three Candidate Events, and my answer is simple. Higher rated programs will likely pick and choose which qualifier to sign up for if they believe they would be able to finish in the top two. Medium to lower rated program would likely want to play in all three qualifiers to increase their chances of moving on in the group of four “lucky losers”. We all know in any event, anything can happen, so the more you play, the better your odds of moving forward.

The Quarter Finals Event will feature a Four Round Robin (4RR) style of play with a time control of 75+0, meaning each pairing will play 4 games against their opponent. The top 4 programs will then move on to the Semifinal Event. If there is a tie for any final placing, opposite color games with a time control of 30+0 will be played until one program has a one point lead after playing both colors. If still tied after four games, the time control will be reduced to 15+0 and will continue downwards at a rate of 5 minutes removed per 4 games. The lowest time control for these games will be 5+0.

In the Semi Finals, the 4 program will compete in a 12 Round Robin Event (12 games against each opponent) at a time control of 120+0. The same tie break method will be carried over from the Quarter Finals until we end up with 2 programs that will compete in the Championship Match.

The Championship Match will consist of 24 games mandatory games. If the score is tied after the mandatory games, tie breaks games will continue at the regular time control until 1 player has the required 1 point lead after playing both colors.

The winner will be declared the CCT World Computer Chess Champion.

The following year's schedule of this event will see the winner designated the #1 Contender for the World Title, and will face the reigning CCT World Computer Chess Champion in a Championship Match.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:Good luck Peter! It will be interesting to follow.

Personally I thought it was kind of user unfriendly just to be able to watch CCT 15 so hopefully you will take this into consideration.

Best,
Martin
My goal to have all games replayed to PlayChess when not played there. This should make incredibly easy for people to follow the games.
But this was done in CCT 15 too. So this is apparently not what would make Martin happy.

I must admit that I also don't quite understand what exactly he means. Perhaps the key is in the word 'just'?
Don

Post by Don »

hgm wrote:
Peter Skinner wrote:
Martin Thoresen wrote:Good luck Peter! It will be interesting to follow.

Personally I thought it was kind of user unfriendly just to be able to watch CCT 15 so hopefully you will take this into consideration.

Best,
Martin
My goal to have all games replayed to PlayChess when not played there. This should make incredibly easy for people to follow the games.
But this was done in CCT 15 too. So this is apparently not what would make Martin happy.

I must admit that I also don't quite understand what exactly he means. Perhaps the key is in the word 'just'?
But PlayChess requires an paid account.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Don wrote: But PlayChess requires an paid account.
Playchess anonymously is free.

Pay has its advantages, chat, rating, engine analysis, ect.

Remember Playchess and Albert Silver offered and free accounts for developers.

Surely it is still possible.
Don

Post by Don »

velmarin wrote:

I could probably get a free account from Albert but this isn't about me, it doesn't solve the problem for others.

The free version doesn't let you watch matches. I tried.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Don wrote:
velmarin wrote:

I could probably get a free account from Albert but this isn't about me, it doesn't solve the problem for others.

Yes, if allowed, I assure you,
all retransmissions, GMs, tournaments, ect.

What you can not do is chat, or put an engine of analysis, but for example also allows you to record the games.
jdart

Post by jdart »

Do you have a schedule for this?

--Jon
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

jdart wrote:Do you have a schedule for this?

--Jon
I am working out the schedule currently, and where everything will be played.

This is what I am trying to set up:

First Candidate: August 9-11 2013 (Likely HGM's server)
Second Candidate: September 13-15, 2013 (likely Playchess server)
Third Candidate: October 4-6, 2013 (Likely HGM's Server)

Quarter Finals: October 25-28 (Being that there will be a high number of games, it has to be run 24/7 over the 4 days. That should be more than enough time to complete in the event of tie breaks) (Likely Playchess server)

Semifinals: November 22-29, 2013. Again, must be run 24/7.
(HGM's server)
Championship Match: January 10-27 (24 games at 120+0 then tie breaks if needed) (HGM's server)

Every year, the title match will be held in January for consistency. I will be verifying locations in the next few days, and the website will be updated to reflect the registration possibilities for the 3 Candidate events.
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

velmarin wrote:
Don wrote:
velmarin wrote:

Yes, if allowed, I assure you,
all retransmissions, GMs, tournaments, ect.

What you can not do is chat, or put an engine of analysis, but for example also allows you to record the games.
Velmarin is correct.

If you download and install the free playchess client, anybody can enter the broadcast room as a guest and watch any games in there.
Guests can't chat though.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

But using WinBoard or XBoard you can chat all you like on the ICS itself, and the client is 100x smaller.