Why don't strong engines enter WCCC?

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sedat Canbaz

Re: Why don't strong engines enter WCCC?

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Just I'd like to add,
In case of determining the originality of chess programs,
Also we can need advise from the below notable names too:

Edsel Apostol
Engin Üstün
Gerd Isenberg
Larry Kaufman
Mark Uniacke
Peter Österlund
Robert Houdart
Stefan Meyer-Kahlen
Ubaldo Andrea Farina
Vadim Demichev
Vasik Rajlich
vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Post by vittyvirus »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:Continuing...

Actually we can organize serious chess engine competitions (better than WCCC)

I think the below name is not bad:
World Chess Engine Tournament (WCET)

And I can recommend Frank Quisinsky as a main tournament director, who can manage to organize such events!
Frank is very honest and experienced in computer chess, plus Frank's rules are quite strict against clones!!

Of course,
Chess engine experts advice will be always appreciated to help us about which chess engine is original or not

But however exception experts advise...
We need urgently a new tool (a similar as Don's tool), which can help to determine the originality of chess programs

For example, I can recommend:
As a server: Playchess
Time Control: 40 Moves in 120 Minutes
Swiss System (9 Rounds)
Ponder ON
Own Opening Books
etc...

And I think it will be not bad if,
The Winners (Top 3 standings) and the Tournament Director to be awarded by sponsors!!

What is your opinion about my new idea ?)
I think the number of rounds should be increased. And I'm with you, if you've decided to for it. This tournament would be organized rather by the mighty TalkChess Community!
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

vittyvirus wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:Continuing...

Actually we can organize serious chess engine competitions (better than WCCC)

I think the below name is not bad:
World Chess Engine Tournament (WCET)

And I can recommend Frank Quisinsky as a main tournament director, who can manage to organize such events!
Frank is very honest and experienced in computer chess, plus Frank's rules are quite strict against clones!!

Of course,
Chess engine experts advice will be always appreciated to help us about which chess engine is original or not

But however exception experts advise...
We need urgently a new tool (a similar as Don's tool), which can help to determine the originality of chess programs

For example, I can recommend:
As a server: Playchess
Time Control: 40 Moves in 120 Minutes
Swiss System (9 Rounds)
Ponder ON
Own Opening Books
etc...

And I think it will be not bad if,
The Winners (Top 3 standings) and the Tournament Director to be awarded by sponsors!!

What is your opinion about my new idea ?)
I think the number of rounds should be increased. And I'm with you, if you've decided to for it. This tournament would be organized rather by the mighty TalkChess Community!
This is just my idea, but however I don't plan to be as tournament manager) due to I have no much free time nowadays

And frankly a such idea is born due to,
Many tournaments have own advantages and disadvantages as well

And here is my opinion about the advantages of the current conditions:
1. Playchess server:
a)The processor speed is not affecting and the engines play at full performance during LIVE
b)UCI engines will be played without adapters under Fritz GUI (a superior platform for running engine-matches)
2) It is not required to travel...(for example, many programmer teams suffer when the distance is too long)
3)Engines will be played mainly with ctg book formats, this is really very important, because the top book makers are usually ctg book creators

And here are the disadvantages of the current conditions,
1.Playchess server requires serial number to visit engine room (not many people have decent serials)
2) Running tournaments with own books look like interesting, but any engine has high-possibility to lose in case of using weak line/s...
And here is an example, as we see in each tournament there are different standings:
http://www.sedatcanbaz.com/chess/?page_id=133
So for a solution...maybe instead of own books, a well optimized neutral short book can be used for all engines...
3)I am afraid that some programmers will never enter... probably due to Houdini, Rybka, Gull, Stockfish, Komodo will be as participants....
*And I think those who will refuse, they usually prefer weaker participants )!

Btw,
Actually this is not end of rules...and the current suggested conditions can be discussed more, improved etc...it is a just idea!)

Best,
Sedat
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Sedat Canbaz wrote: b)UCI engines will be played without adapters under Fritz GUI (a superior platform for running engine-matches)

Best,
Sedat
Does this mean non UCI engines can not play?
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote: b)UCI engines will be played without adapters under Fritz GUI (a superior platform for running engine-matches)

Best,
Sedat
Does this mean non UCI engines can not play?
Not of course...

I was meaning that UCI engines will be played at full performance
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Note also I was considering to recommend as alternative tournament director Clemens Keck,
who is another trusted and experienced person in our computer chess hoby
But later I've changed my mind due to Clemens belongs to Komodo team

Actually together with Frank Quisinsky, I can recommend also Graham/Ray Banks, Andreas Strangmüller, plus Adam Hair too

Of course Martin Thoresen, Gerhard Sonnabend, Werner Schüle, Tom Casanovas are my recommendations too

All of these mentioned chess friends are respected and professional in their jobs...
And I have no doubts that they can manage to help of organizing such serious events!

So...I have no patience to see such interesting competitions... )!