cheng4 0.38 release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Re: My gift for Martin & cheng !

Post by mar »

Thanks Silvian.
Because I'll be probably fixing FRC support shortly I hope you don't mind if I include your logo in the package as well ;)
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: My gift for Martin & cheng !

Post by Sylwy »

mar wrote:Thanks Silvian.
Because I'll be probably fixing FRC support shortly I hope you don't mind if I include your logo in the package as well ;)
H_A_P_P_Y !

SilvianR :wink:
tpetzke

Re: cheng4 0.38 release

Post by tpetzke »

Congratulations !

Good to see you back. Never thought you would leave for ever anyway :-)
Thomas...

=======
http://macechess.blogspot.com - iCE Chess Engine
mar

Post by mar »

Thanks Thomas.
but who said I'm back anyway? :)
mar

Post by mar »

The FRC problem should be fixed now. I asked Emil to simply replace the package so you can simply re-download.
There's no need to change version number because it has zero impact on regular chess,
meaning people that downloaded the original package can continue testing (unless they want Silvian's new logo of course :)
Joerg Oster
Full name: Jörg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

mar wrote:The FRC problem should be fixed now. I asked Emil to simply replace the package so you can simply re-download.
There's no need to change version number because it has zero impact on regular chess,
meaning people that downloaded the original package can continue testing (unless they want Silvian's new logo of course :)
Thank you. Seems to be fine now.
Jörg Oster
deefree49

Post by deefree49 »

Not statistically significant but I ran a little match with the new cheng against bright 0.5c. According to CCRL, the previous cheng and bright were very close in rating. In my little sample cheng won 7 games, drew 4 and lost none! That is about 200 ELO difference between the two engines. Of course in reality, that is too small a sample but I'm guessing a gain of at least 100 ELO over the previous version.

Very nice work, well done Martin Sedlak! My machine is an i7 with 4 cores that likes to hyper thread. Engines that pick their own thread numbers volunteer "8 CPU" when I load them. So for these games the readout for both engines was "8 CPU". The games were fast; 3 mins + 2" bonus per move.
mar

Post by mar »

Results look good so far and it seems that the real improvement may be around 60 elo. Still too early though. I measured nearly 100 elo in bullet (selfplay), of course this doesn't mean much.
cheng defaults to 1 thread which I consider a good practice. I would expected that the GUI tells the engine how many cores to use (as instructed by the user of course).
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

CEGT 40/4: impressive +75 after 1000 games!
http://cegt.forumieren.com/t281-testing-cheng-4-v0-38
Best
Wolfgang
CEGT-Team
www.cegt.net
www.cegt.forumieren.com
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Impressive, I'll have to try and find the time to run this at chess960.