Whether Deep Hiarcs is Worth £69.95 / €83.95 / $99 ??

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Whether Deep Hiarcs is Worth £69.95 / €83.95 / $99.99 ??

No
63%
Yes
37%

Total votes: 67

APassionForCriminalJustic

Re: Whether Deep Hiarcs is Worth £69.95 / €83.95 / $99 ??

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Modern Times wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: We're infested with Rybka trolls.
And some anti-Rybka trolls as well.
For goodness sakes, this is not about being a troll. We all have our opinions; so be it. But have the brains to recognize what is worth the money and what is overpriced. Furthermore, think about what is correct and what are outright lies.

Terry, keep believing what you want. Men used to believe the world wasn't round either - that it was instead flat with an actual "edge of the world". Is Hiarcs worth 100 dollars? Hm, what do you think? 39.99 for Komodo which is a much STRONGER engine, and they are not claiming false titles, or 99 dollars for HIARCS. Good god. There is no point even writing in this thread anymore. Terry all you know is how to call people names; think and use your head man.

"Infested with Rybka trolls"... you make me sick... absolutely sick. Trolls don't have real passionate opinions... they just spam. Use your head.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote: We're infested with Rybka trolls.
And some anti-Rybka trolls as well.
For goodness sakes, this is not about being a troll. We all have our opinions; so be it. But have the brains to recognize what is worth the money and what is overpriced. Furthermore, think about what is correct and what are outright lies.

Terry, keep believing what you want. Men used to believe the world wasn't round either - that it was instead flat with an actual "edge of the world". Is Hiarcs worth 100 dollars? Hm, what do you think? 39.99 for Komodo which is a much STRONGER engine, and they are not claiming false titles, or 99 dollars for HIARCS. Good god. There is no point even writing in this thread anymore. Terry all you know is how to call people names; think and use your head man.

"Infested with Rybka trolls"... you make me sick... absolutely sick. Trolls don't have real passionate opinions... they just spam. Use your head.
Take Bob's advice.
Terry McCracken
Henk

Post by Henk »

Art is priceless.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I didn't vote. My opinion is that Hiarcs would be worth any money at all if and only if it superates free softwares. The definition of "superate" may be subjective (for some it's elo, for others it may be features of a GUI).
Since I didn't had the opportunity to try Hiarcs not cared to read in details what it really is and since I didn't test all the chess related free softwares, I feel like I'm not enough qualified to vote.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

royb wrote: I do not want to start an argument here; I believe there are lots of engines available today (commercial or free) that can do this. For example, Komodo 8 (Komodo 9 comes out tomorrow though so I'd wait a day) can do this, as can Stockfish (a free engine). Yes, you will likely want a GUI to help make things easier, but those are readily available (and free) -- SCID, SCID-vs-PC, Arena ... all are free GUIs that let you run engines in infinite analysis mode and move forward or back through a list of moves and see what the engine reports back.

Or did I misunderstand what you are looking for?
Probably you understand me. I am speaking only from a personal civilian standpoint.
I just don't seem to be able to get civilian use as a consumer who is looking for quick and simple computer analysis of positions, games, whilst playing, ability to force moves in less than a second a time, or even a few times in a second if i keep pressing the back or forward button. The ability to reset the time control at any time i want for a game with the computer, or imballanced time controls and to change those time controls at will at the press of a button. I'm just not getting this any more.
Often it freezes, even though i have ample memory and much much more memories and more advanced computer hardware than any comparrison to what i used to have 10-20 years ago.

I have the latest explorer with the latest hiarcs. Arena was just as bad or worse.
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

S.Taylor wrote: I have the latest explorer with the latest hiarcs. Arena was just as bad or worse.
Hi, so you are stating you are not satisfied with the version of Hiarcs Chess Explorer that you own? What are the main problems with the software?

Thank you,

Sean
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

bob wrote:What _I_ would like to see is that the moderators decide that YOU are not worth the trouble here and permanently kick you out. This is not a legitimate poll, it is a troll poll. You should give this nonsense up.
Well, if you want, you can discuss Dad’s Army chess...who are you kidding with Mr Hitler? the rest of us want to discuss Hiarcs.

Good day to you, Sir.

Sean
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

It's worth 0 to me and many others. In other words, if the program was free then me and most people wouldn't use it at all. It's simply too weak in comparison to what's out there now. If it was free then I might use it for a few minutes before permanently putting it away. Imo, knowledge in komodo is just as good or better.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

h1a8 wrote:It's worth 0 to me and many others. In other words, if the program was free then me and most people wouldn't use it at all. It's simply too weak in comparison to what's out there now. If it was free then I might use it for a few minutes before permanently putting it away. Imo, knowledge in komodo is just as good or better.
We are all wasting our time man. There are some people in this world who couldn't see a freaking fat cow if it was sitting on their face. We might as well speak to a wall. People can do and believe what they want. Fortunately, some of us are smart, and we know exactly what the right decision is here (knowledge is power; ignorance is stupidity). The knowledge in Komodo is definitely just as good as HIARCS (Stockfish too more than suffices for great evaluating; heck even Houdini would be better in my opinion) - and given that it is hundreds of ELO stronger makes it an obvious choice. This poll associated with this thread is not trolling. Good god, use your brain Bob. The poll is asking a legitimate question, and the people are partaking in it.

If you want to ask for $100 dollars for an engine many hundreds of ELO weaker than a free engine like Stockfish then you have some serious balls (GUI included does not personally matter to me). And Mark's false-title claims do not help either in unison with Amir Ban's (his engine Deep Junior).

It is ludicrous to think that HIARCS will offer better analysis than other top engines (the analysis should actually be weaker but should not matter for a majority of the users). It is software no different than other code. Human analysis comes from only human beings. So if you really believe that you are truly buying something human-like then go ahead. You are not.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Interesting question......spent some time on the Hiarcs site and testing the various Hiarcs chess engines from 7.32 to Hiarcs 12.0 13.1 13.2 WCSC 14
Hiarcs has that little something the other products don't (except for my favorite program --Junior--) ...Hiarcs has some mystery quality......some clique quality, some cachet that a certain number of people are willing to pay for..the engine is consistent and strong.....stronger that Stockfish 6? Probably not but plenty strong enough......Kudos to Hiarcs (and Komodo and Fritz and Junior) for not cutting and running (ex Rybka...Houdini?!) and continuing to produce quality products for the chess playing public!!! :) :wink: