Threadripper 1950x but StockFish 8 with low KN/s?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Modern Times

Re: Threadripper 1950x but StockFish 8 with low KN/s?

Post by Modern Times »

corres wrote: It is pity but detailed description about using cores of Windows 10 can not be found. But it can be known that Windows 10 Home utilize only one CPU.
So Home is not suitable to use at least UMA/NUMA behavior of CPU and motherboard.
Against this, Windows 10 Pro and Enterprise utilize two CPU too, so they more suitable for Threadripper than Windows 10 Home.
In the past the home edition supported one SOCKET, and Threadripper is one socket. So you may well be wrong about that. Given that he confirms that all cores are in use in Task Manager, then I'm sure you are wrong.
corres

Post by corres »

Because Threadripper has features like a two processor (two socket) system so it needs operating system what suitable to a PC with two processors.
All test use at least Windows 10 Pro and no one use Windows 10 Home.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

corres wrote:Because Threadripper has features like a two processor (two socket) system so it needs operating system what suitable to a PC with two processors.
All test use at least Windows 10 Pro and no one use Windows 10 Home.
Features, "like a two socket system" yes, but still actually physically only one socket and I think Windows recognises it as such. His task manage shows all threads recognised and in use, what other proof do you need ?
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Modern Times"]

Features, "like a two socket system" yes, but still [u]actually[/u] physically only one socket and I think Windows recognises it as such. His task manage shows all threads recognised and in use, what other proof do you need ?

[/quote]

I never stated that his PC do not use all cores. I raise an opportunity that his PC works better with Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise.
I propose you to read the all comments above.
If you can explain what causes the change in speed from stage 1 (16-18000 kn/s) to stage 2 (33,000 kn/s) and further to stage 3 (35,000 kn/s), I shall read it pleasure.
Lion

Post by Lion »

corres wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
Features, "like a two socket system" yes, but still actually physically only one socket and I think Windows recognises it as such. His task manage shows all threads recognised and in use, what other proof do you need ?
I never stated that his PC do not use all cores. I raise an opportunity that his PC works better with Windows 10 Pro or Enterprise.
I propose you to read the all comments above.
If you can explain what causes the change in speed from stage 1 (16-18000 kn/s) to stage 2 (33,000 kn/s) and further to stage 3 (35,000 kn/s), I shall read it pleasure.
I will say it for the last time.
I did nothing other than buying another 2 RAM sticks so I could be in quad channel.
Windows 10-64 home is visibly OK to runn 1 CPU that has 16 cores and see it as 1 CPU with 16 cores.
Threadripper needs to be in quad channel to move from around 18'000 kn/s to over 30'000, it is was it is.

Rgds
corres

Post by corres »

I wish you to be happy with your PC.
Regards
Robert
Lion

Post by Lion »

Thank you.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Does it run stable with Linux ?
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931