New engine releases & news 2021

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Re: New engine releases & news 2021

Post by AlexChess »

Yes, it works fine with 4 CPUs and I like Seer! Thank you for compiling it also for unsupported / older / strange systems :)

Regards, Alex
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
connor_mcmonigle
Full name: Connor McMonigle

Post by connor_mcmonigle »

Rebel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:38 am
connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 3:23 am I've released a new version (v2.3.0) of Seer here: https://github.com/connormcmonigle/seer ... tag/v2.3.0

It should be significantly stronger than the previous release (v2.2.0) and tested at >= 100 elo in self play. As with all previous versions >= v2.0.0 Seer is trained on unique data generated solely from Seer's search+EGTB and does not rely on training code/inference code etc. derived from other engines. Training code and data generation code can be found at https://github.com/connormcmonigle/seer ... e/selfplay.

I've attempted to simplify my naming conventions for binaries. As with the previous release, the SSE3+nopopcnt binary is marked as unofficial and I would prefer if testers refrained from using it for official rating lists/tournaments.
You are going fast :D

https://prodeo.actieforum.com/t358p25-g ... sults#4061
Just to clarify, you're using my sse3 compile, correct? If so, it would be appreciated if you could mark it as such if it's not too much effort on your part (assign it the name "Seer 2.3.0-sse3" as you've done for Koivisto preferably). Thanks
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

I am using : seer_v2.3_x64_avx_popcnt.exe

How would you like to see it named?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
connor_mcmonigle

Rebel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:15 pm I am using : seer_v2.3_x64_avx_popcnt.exe

Nevermind in that case- all is well. Thanks. However, I'm confused as to why Finn thought it necessary to send you a SSE compile of Koivisto if your hardware has AVX...
Rebel
Full name: Ed Schröder

Post by Rebel »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:21 pm

Nevermind in that case- all is well. Thanks. However, I'm confused as to why Finn thought it necessary to send you a SSE compile of Koivisto if your hardware has AVX...
Because it's no AVX2?
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.
connor_mcmonigle

Rebel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Because it's no AVX2?
AVX2 only differs from AVX due to the addition of FMA instructions. In fact, the same code path can be used for AVX and AVX2 as the compiler is smart enough to perform fma contraction. An AVX Koivisto binary would probably out perform an SSE binary by a significant margin. Hence my confusion.
Luecx
Full name: Finn Eggers

Post by Luecx »

connor_mcmonigle wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:27 pm
Rebel wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Because it's no AVX2?
AVX2 only differs from AVX due to the addition of FMA instructions. In fact, the same code path can be used for AVX and AVX2 as the compiler is smart enough to perform fma contraction. An AVX Koivisto binary would probably out perform an SSE binary by a significant margin. Hence my confusion.
Yeah sorry. We brought out AVX2, AVX512 and SSE compiles. I realized that we don’t even require AVX2 specific code. This will be fixed with the next release.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. https://github.com/Luecx/Koivisto

WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

Experimental version of GreKo with well-known Stockfish's NNUE:
http://greko.su/greko-2021.08-nnue.zip
Requires AVX2.
Archimedes
Full name: Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

WinPooh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:05 pm Experimental version of GreKo with well-known Stockfish's NNUE:
Requires AVX2.
It only works, when network.nnue is in the current working directory (tested on DroidFish). On DroidFish this is the logs directory. Moving the network file to another directory or changing the name of the network file and change that in the uci options doesn't work (GreKo do not find the network file). It seems, GreKo ignores the setting for the NNUE file and looks always for network.nnue in the current working directory.
WinPooh
Full name: Vladimir Medvedev

Post by WinPooh »

Archimedes wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:08 am
WinPooh wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:05 pm Experimental version of GreKo with well-known Stockfish's NNUE:
Requires AVX2.
It only works, when network.nnue is in the current working directory (tested on DroidFish). On DroidFish this is the logs directory. Moving the network file to another directory or changing the name of the network file and change that in the uci options doesn't work (GreKo do not find the network file). It seems, GreKo ignores the setting for the NNUE file and looks always for network.nnue in the current working directory.
Thank you for bug report. The problem was in incorrect parsing UCI options with spaces in their names. Changed names to "NNUE" and "Network", now it should work. Tested in Fritz GUI, file re-uploaded.