Progress on Loki

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mvanthoor
Full name: Marcel Vanthoor

Re: Progress on Loki

Post by mvanthoor »

niel5946 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 4:18 pm This places Loki's elo at a very tentative 1913 +/- 188 (all changes's elo gain and uncertainty summed up), so I will run a gauntlet with engines ranging from 1700 to 2300 to test this.
Looks good. Rustic Alpha 3 has a rating of 1915. I don' t know if you achieved this rating with our without PVS. Rustic implements alpha-beta, TT, MVV-LVA, TT-move ordering, check extension and killers.

Rustic 4.0-beta implements a tuned and tapered evaluation (and some refactoring), and stands to gain between 250 and 300 Elo. (I'd be disappointed when it gains less than 250, to be honest.)
That sounds like an interesting idea! I have not come around to tuning just yet in the refactor, but I plan on doing it within these next few weeks
Same here. I've built my new computer, the base installation is up and running, and I'm now re-installing and setting up software. (I know I could have pulled lots of stuff from the old computer, but I jacked around with that Linux install for two years, testing and trying lots of things. I want to start from a clean installation that will last me a long time to come.)
I will be sure to try out this method. I remember the tuning and data-generation (even though i sucked at the latter :lol: ) as being some of the most enjoyable things to work on in regards to Loki.
My plan is to implement a tuning and data-generation GUI because I want to both make tuning easy in the future, but also learn more about .NET MAUI. I don't know how advanced it will be but I'm looking forward to giving it a shot :D
I'll implement everything directly into the engine, and at some point, refactor it into a chess library.
Author of Rustic, an engine written in Rust.
Releases | Code | Docs | Progress | CCRL