Can Komodo give a Queen to a 1500 chess Engine on CCRL?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

swami

Re: Can Komodo give a Queen to a 1500 chess Engine on CCRL?

Post by swami »

All this testing only shows the elo value of Queen relative to other pieces, which in a way is interesting to know about.
However, elo is relative, and strategy employed would be different for say, if Carlsen plays or Komodo plays.
Especially, relating to exchanges and preference for open position. I hope Komodo is configured to employ such strategies while playing with piece odds?

We may also get to know if current 1800 rated engines perform at par with fide 1800 player and so on.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

swami wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:50 am All this testing only shows the elo value of Queen relative to other pieces, which in a way is interesting to know about.
However, elo is relative, and strategy employed would be different for say, if Carlsen plays or Komodo plays.
Especially, relating to exchanges and preference for open position. I hope Komodo is configured to employ such strategies while playing with piece odds?

We may also get to know if current 1800 rated engines perform at par with fide 1800 player and so on.
We do consider both exchanges and preference for open positions when one side is ahead in material in Komodo, but actually it's hard to state a clear rule on the second point. If you are giving piece odds to a weaker player, a closed position won't give you the chance to demonstrate superior calculating abilities, but an open position makes exchanging pieces too easy for the opponent. I don't know exactly what is the best strategy in this regard. Perhaps semi-open is best, I'm not sure.
Komodo rules!
swami

Post by swami »

lkaufman wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:34 pm
swami wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:50 am All this testing only shows the elo value of Queen relative to other pieces, which in a way is interesting to know about.

We do consider both exchanges and preference for open positions when one side is ahead in material in Komodo, but actually it's hard to state a clear rule on the second point. If you are giving piece odds to a weaker player, a closed position won't give you the chance to demonstrate superior calculating abilities, but an open position makes exchanging pieces too easy for the opponent. I don't know exactly what is the best strategy in this regard. Perhaps semi-open is best, I'm not sure.
Only hope is to make threatening moves constantly, capitalize on opponent's inability to defend and penalize opponent's blunder, that too with nil/minimal exchange as possible, engine could be trained to prefer alternative moves that avoid blatant trades without significant drop in evaluation, or could be trained to foresee the possibility of it happening less frequently before venturing out. I know it's too much to expect from a miserable position (without Queen or Rook), may happen with either open or semi-open. Hard to imagine this could be pulled off in a closed/semi closed which is exactly what human player looks to bring the position into, early on in the game.

It all depends on how well the player plays, and ofcourse time management. More chances against human, than with the lower rated engine I believe.