IDE or a set of tools for chess coding

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chesskobra
Full name: Chesskobra

Re: IDE or a set of tools for chess coding

Post by chesskobra »

I had been resisting to use git or any other version control system for my small personal projects (which are unrelated to chess) for a long time. I kept managing my files as main-v1.c, main-v2.c, etc, which is ugly, I know. I did want to get started sometime. After reading the above comments, finally I have taken the plunge and created a local git repository for a project. Other than that I have managed with emacs, gcc, gdb, and a very simple makefile, all on linux, mostly in C and 'old C++ in C style'. I use gdb within emacs, which is nice. I have also used a couple of LaTeX packages for creating chess positions.

I do want to learn to use some static and dynamic analysis tools about which I know very little. I have looked at the helix editor, which looks good also.
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

github sucks. Using git locally works. The problem w/ git is that git creates a huge number of files so backups take a lot more time. When using slow USB sticks. USB 2.0 etc.
There's still a problem where do you keep your "main" repo and sync all repos to that.
chesskobra
Full name: Chesskobra

Post by chesskobra »

JohnWoe wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm github sucks. Using git locally works. The problem w/ git is that git creates a huge number of files so backups take a lot more time. When using slow USB sticks. USB 2.0 etc.
There's still a problem where do you keep your "main" repo and sync all repos to that.
In fact I had exactly this question about where to keep main. For example, everyday I copy my work on the work machine on a pendrive using rsync, and then at home I copy it on my home machine. Then whatever I do on my home machine I copy it on the pendrive and copy it on the work machine. So when I set up the git repo on one machine, I simply did 'cp -rp <source path> <destination path>. Then the same on the other machine. I checked git status and I didn't notice any problems. I can just do all this with my usual rsync command. I guess with this workflow, all three repositories - 2 machines and 1 pendrive - are main. But I am not sure if something could subtly go wrong.
JohnWoe

Post by JohnWoe »

chesskobra wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:04 pm
JohnWoe wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm github sucks. Using git locally works. The problem w/ git is that git creates a huge number of files so backups take a lot more time. When using slow USB sticks. USB 2.0 etc.
In fact I had exactly this question about where to keep main. For example, everyday I copy my work on the work machine on a pendrive using rsync, and then at home I copy it on my home machine. Then whatever I do on my home machine I copy it on the pendrive and copy it on the work machine. So when I set up the git repo on one machine, I simply did 'cp -rp <source path> <destination path>. Then the same on the other machine. I checked git status and I didn't notice any problems. I can just do all this with my usual rsync command. I guess with this workflow, all three repositories - 2 machines and 1 pendrive - are main. But I am not sure if something could subtly go wrong.
I keep all my git repos on a 64GB USB stick. Definitely not in github. I just have to remember "push" changes to the stick and spawn repos back to my 3 laptops. i5 / 4800U + i7.
I have lots of projects. There's lots of git files.

I have essentials.sh which I run when I install OSes here and then. It installs all the software I need. But I try to keep my softwares in minimum. I try to do everything in Vim.
petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

Post by petero2 »

JohnWoe wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm The problem w/ git is that git creates a huge number of files so backups take a lot more time. When using slow USB sticks. USB 2.0 etc.
In such cases "git gc" or "git gc --keep-largest-pack" for large repositories could be useful to run before the backup.
Antihelion
Full name: Lyndon S. Sears

Post by Antihelion »

JohnWoe wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm There's still a problem where do you keep your "main" repo and sync all repos to that.
That is exactly the reason why you should use github/gitlab/sourcehut
towforce

Post by towforce »

Antihelion wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 6:49 am
JohnWoe wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:17 pm There's still a problem where do you keep your "main" repo and sync all repos to that.
That is exactly the reason why you should use github/gitlab/sourcehut

+1
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.