Singular extensions Elo gain

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jackk03
Full name: Giacomo Porpiglia

Singular extensions Elo gain

Post by jackk03 »

Hi,
I was wondering how much Elo have your engines gained approximately with the insertions of singular extensions (and multicut).
I'm trying to implement it in my engine, but I get a small gain (~20 Elo), so I'm wondering if I have a bug somewhere, because I was expecting more from it.
pgg106
Full name: . .

Re: Singular extensions Elo gain

Post by pgg106 »

SE is a famous "strong engine" heuristic, how much it gains for you is highly dependant on how sharp your search and eval already are.
In general when working on a new feature there is no value an heuristic "should" gain, if it's implemented properly it gains what it should gain, if it's bugged it will probably not gain 20 Elo.
Since you are in the active process of developing an engine and seem to have a fair share of doubts i suggest you join the SF discord server, it's way more active and populated with more competent devs than talkchess is.
To anyone reading this post in the future, don't ask for help on talkchess, it's a dead site where you'll only get led astray, the few people talking sense here come from the Stockfish discord server, just join it and actual devs will help you.