In what file I can find stockfish's evaluation?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JohnWoe

Re: In what file I can find stockfish's evaluation?

Post by JohnWoe »

It's a valid concern. When you run Make script Stockfish starts downloading something from somewhere. If you don't have internet access your Stockfish build is w/o evaluation.
And if you setup smt like Horde position the NNUE evaluator simply crashes. It shows bad evaluation for example KQkr. HCE should always be in the chess engine as the default evaluator.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, these engines are not designed to be useful.
jp

Post by jp »

Uri Blass wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:54 pm...
The questions are serious.
I think that people are allowed to ask questions that they do not know the answer for them and I do not see what is the problem with it.

It is not something that I could find by myself in a few minutes and I do not plan to spend many hours to try to find the answer by myself before asking a question.
Yes, I too prefer an environment where people are comfortable asking "simple" questions. After all, no individual is forced to answer if he thinks the question is beneath him.

And sometimes the question may not be as simple as many assume; e.g. past discussion about turning off the 50-move rule in Stockfish. It appears that one has to edit a particular section of code in SF and recompile, i.e. there is no setting you can just change using a standard, available .exe, and 50-move settings in the GUI are misleading -- they do not affect how SF evaluates.

Now, my simple question: Can one, in any version of SF, find (in the HCE) parameters corresponding to the material value of pieces that one can change manually? If not SF, what are the strongest engines where you can? (e.g. Ethereal?) This would be handy for experimenting with material values in a quick and painless way.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

jp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:47 am
Uri Blass wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:54 pm...
The questions are serious.
I think that people are allowed to ask questions that they do not know the answer for them and I do not see what is the problem with it.

It is not something that I could find by myself in a few minutes and I do not plan to spend many hours to try to find the answer by myself before asking a question.
Yes, I too prefer an environment where people are comfortable asking "simple" questions. After all, no individual is forced to answer if he thinks the question is beneath him.

And sometimes the question may not be as simple as many assume; e.g. past discussion about turning off the 50-move rule in Stockfish. It appears that one has to edit a particular section of code in SF and recompile, i.e. there is no setting you can just change using a standard, available .exe, and 50-move settings in the GUI are misleading -- they do not affect how SF evaluates.

Now, my simple question: Can one, in any version of SF, find (in the HCE) parameters corresponding to the material value of pieces that one can change manually? If not SF, what are the strongest engines where you can? (e.g. Ethereal?) This would be handy for experimenting with material values in a quick and painless way.
Hi Jean Paul, I think the programs with human crafted eval are a bit of a dying breed by now. Rodent comes to mind, but it is also NNUE now. Kookaburra from Dorsz or CorrChess from Ivan, no material.cpp that I can find right now in the sources. The last one may have been Crystal 6 PMT. Still strong also with HCE but I don't know if you lose much with HCE or if this is important to you?
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Brunetti
Full name: Alex Brunetti

Post by Brunetti »

jp wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:47 am Now, my simple question: Can one, in any version of SF, find (in the HCE) parameters corresponding to the material value of pieces that one can change manually? If not SF, what are the strongest engines where you can? (e.g. Ethereal?) This would be handy for experimenting with material values in a quick and painless way.
All Stockfish versions but last one have HCE (you can even disable NN via UCI option) and editable material values (in types.h).

Alex
Viz
Full name: Michael Chaly

Post by Viz »

Material piece values exist in sf even after they general handcrafted eval was deleted.
They are used in multiple search heuristics, namely SEE and futility pruning.
https://github.com/official-stockfish/S ... pes.h#L158