Houdini 6 Pro

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Re: Houdini 6 Pro

Post by Werewolf »

AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:03 pm
Werewolf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:34 pm
AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 2:34 pm Check your messages.
Thanks. Seems like Chessbase have blocked the engine...
No, you have to create the UCI file manually. That is what I did and it will work in Chessbase.

The file goes in the 'AppData\Roaming\ChessBase\Engines.uci' directory.

The contents should look something like this and have the name 'Houdidit 6.03 Pro x64-pext.uci' :

Code: Select all

[ENGINE]
Name=Houdidit 6.03 Pro 
Author=MikeB
Filename=D:\ChessEngines\Houdidit\houdidit-bmi2.exe
[OPTIONS]
Threads=8
SyzygyPath=D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_7;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_7;D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_6;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_6;D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_345;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_345
Even doing this, it's blocking me. When you say "create the UCI file manually", do you mean compile?
I've taken the existing one and tried to add it to Fritz 19 using both a random folder and also the one above in AppData\Roaming\ChessBase\Engines.uci which contains all the Chessbase UCI files.

Just for reference, it works fine in Aquarium etc, so I think they have security blocking.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Werewolf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:44 pm
No, you have to create the UCI file manually. That is what I did and it will work in Chessbase.

The contents should look something like this and have the name 'Houdidit 6.03 Pro x64-pext.uci' :

[ENGINE]
Name=Houdidit 6.03 Pro 
Author=MikeB
[OPTIONS]
Threads=8
SyzygyPath=D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_7;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_7;D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_6;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_6;D:\SyzygyBases\DTZ_345;D:\SyzygyBases\WDL_345
Even doing this, it's blocking me. When you say "create the UCI file manually", do you mean compile?
I've taken the existing one and tried to add it to Fritz 19 using both a random folder and also the one above in AppData\Roaming\ChessBase\Engines.uci which contains all the Chessbase UCI files.

Just for reference, it works fine in Aquarium etc, so I think they have security blocking.
What I mean is just create the file using a text editor, and save it as a ****.uci file into that directory. Then open Chessbase and see if it shows as a already installed engine, which it should. DO NOT USE CHESSBASE TO INSTALL IT, JUST CHECK TO SEE IF IT SHOWS UP AS ALREADY INSTALLED. Forgive the the CAPS, I am just trying to be clear. It is working on my Windows 11 PC in both Fritz and Chessbase.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."
Full name: Herson P. Guier

Post by Damas Clásicas »

A few years ago, a friend told me that Houdidit 6.03 and Houdini 6.03 (PRO version) were not exactly the same engine. He said me that Houdidit's results were worse on machines with MORE than 8 cores. At that time, he used a Xeon machine with more than 16 cores. So I ask him to check Houdidit's binaries again carefully, since it could be that he was not using the best one for his machine. He did, but he kept insisting that Houdidit's results were clearly inferior to Houdini's.

SMP problem in Houdidit? Slowers binaries? A bad testing by him? I doubt about the latter a bit. Most of his tests (with thousands of games) were fine, and usually matched with others testers too, but since we are talking here about two practically '''identical''' engines, it's clear that much more games were needed to reduce the error margin enough, and where he usually didn't want to go further.

Maybe someone here can do a long blitz test between both engines, preferably on 16 cores or even 32, and corroborate this?
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

AdminX wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:24 pm
Werewolf wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:44 pm

[ENGINE]
Name=Houdidit 6.03 Pro 
Author=MikeB
[OPTIONS]
Threads=8

What I mean is just create the file using a text editor, and save it as a ****.uci file into that directory. Then open Chessbase and see if it shows as a already installed engine, which it should. DO NOT USE CHESSBASE TO INSTALL IT, JUST CHECK TO SEE IF IT SHOWS UP AS ALREADY INSTALLED. Forgive the the CAPS, I am just trying to be clear. It is working on my Windows 11 PC in both Fritz and Chessbase.

I found it simple do to. Yes I just manually created a Chessbase uci file using notepad.(Actually I copied an existing file and just added the relevant 'houdidit' information) . Didn't know a UCI engine could be installed that way. Seems to be working in Fritz 19 (and 12)