GPT-4o made a chess engine

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

darmar
Full name: Darko Markovic

Re: GPT-4o made a chess engine

Post by darmar »

I posted this, because GPT-4o produce very different chess engines, after same my question:
"Please write chess engine in python and allow me to play against this engine"
Next I write:
"Please, improve chess engine to play stronger" and after such 3-4 times the engine becomes really strong...
It means everybody can produce some engine and the limit is only how long can write GPT.
If it stopped during the writing you can 'tell' him:
"Continue the script from cut off", and GPT will continue the script until the end.
I found GPT-5 link and I am using it last days:
https://chatgpt.com/g/g-m7THrR6EF-gpt-5-0
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

darmar wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:38 am I posted this, because GPT-4o produce very different chess engines, after same my question:
"Please write chess engine in python and allow me to play against this engine"
Next I write:
"Please, improve chess engine to play stronger" and after such 3-4 times the engine becomes really strong...
It means everybody can produce some engine and the limit is only how long can write GPT.
If it stopped during the writing you can 'tell' him:
"Continue the script from cut off", and GPT will continue the script until the end.
I found GPT-5 link and I am using it last days:
https://chatgpt.com/g/g-m7THrR6EF-gpt-5-0
This isn't ChatGPT 5.
It'll be a rebadged version 4
towforce

Post by towforce »

Just thinking about copyright issues. The traditional way of doing things:

1. I write code

2. I compile it

3. I hold copyright over both the source code and the executable

Some people have argued that an NN weights file cannot be copyrighted because it does not contain human creativity (this seems wrong to me, but many people have argued that at this forum). So... might we have the following situation:

1. I write an LLM prompt

2. On reading that prompt, an LLM writes the code for a chess engine

Could it be that I could claim copyright over the prompt, but not the engine code???
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.
towforce

Post by towforce »

towforce wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 1:50 pm Just thinking about copyright issues. The traditional way of doing things:

1. I write code

2. I compile it

3. I hold copyright over both the source code and the executable

Some people have argued that an NN weights file cannot be copyrighted because it does not contain human creativity (this seems wrong to me, but many people have argued that at this forum). So... might we have the following situation:

1. I write an LLM prompt

2. On reading that prompt, an LLM writes the code for a chess engine

Could it be that I could claim copyright over the prompt, but not the engine code???

Helpful article: doesn't clear the issue up, but gives some expert guidance:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joemckendr ... platforms/
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

ChatGPT 40 just played 30 moves against me at 1300-1400 level.

Very impressive. Big step up.

Then it played a series of illegal moves.

But it does seem they are working on its chess.
towforce

Post by towforce »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 pm ChatGPT 40 just played 30 moves against me at 1300-1400 level.

Mystified as to why you're interested in an LLM as a chess player? It's a language model - not a chess model!

I don't have any inside info, but I am confident that OpenAI have not been working on GPT's chess skills. Any chess skill it has will be "emergent AI abilities" (link), not there by design.
CRoberson

Post by CRoberson »

I read most of the code. It is about beginner level programming. It is inefficient at various segments which is indicative of somebody that is just getting code out the door without considering performance or, like many beginners, don't know much about performance programming. There are other segments that are weak. Not going to be a threat to most chess programs in a match.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

Werewolf wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 8:42 pm ChatGPT 40 just played 30 moves against me at 1300-1400 level.

Where can I download this engine ?
Russian believe that they are special, that they can Kill thousands of Ukranian civilians, but cry like babies when a few Russian...
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Chessqueen wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:17 am

Where can I download this engine ?
There’s nothing to download. You just play against ChatGPT by…chatting to it.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

towforce wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 11:25 pm

Mystified as to why you're interested in an LLM as a chess player? It's a language model - not a chess model!

I don't have any inside info, but I am confident that OpenAI have not been working on GPT's chess skills. Any chess skill it has will be "emergent AI abilities" (link), not there by design.
Sure, but it’s still fun to play with and it’s improving faster than most humans do. I’d expect GPT5 to be 1600 Elo and that’s without any search.

I find this interesting because recently a whistleblower at OpenAI claimed version 6/7 would be very close to AGI and that reminds me of HAL.

Meanwhile, this is what ChatGPT 40 said about itself:

“ Since the release of GPT-4o, several updates have been implemented that could enhance chess-playing abilities. Key updates include improvements in processing efficiency, multimodal integration, and the introduction of new features. Specifically, updates have focused on better reasoning and analysis capabilities, which are crucial for strategic games like chess.”