Something very strange [Strelka]

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Something very strange [Strelka]

Post by Dann Corbit »

I do not understand how Strelka can be both a clone of Fruit and of Rybka and yet get exactly the same evaluation as Rybka.

If the search and eval is from Fruit, even with borrowed Rybka tables, the answers should be different for a search.

Does anyone have a logical explanation?
GenoM

Re: Something very strange [Strelka]

Post by GenoM »

Dann Corbit wrote:I do not understand how Strelka can be both a clone of Fruit and of Rybka and yet get exactly the same evaluation as Rybka.

If the search and eval is from Fruit, even with borrowed Rybka tables, the answers should be different for a search.

Your question has only one answer but some people with "eyes wide shut" do not want to see it.

Regards,
Geno
take it easy :)
Ryan Benitez

Post by Ryan Benitez »

I am not sure if I understand you right but maybe Strelka and Rybka are inspired by Fruit. Just taking the tables worth a few elo out of Strelka does not make it Fruit. I guess something positive about this whole mess is that people have left sloppy alone now. Watching someone get insulted for using the GPL was crazy.
Christopher Conkie

Post by Christopher Conkie »

Ryan Benitez wrote:I am not sure if I understand you right but maybe Strelka and Rybka are inspired by Fruit. Just taking the tables worth a few elo out of Strelka does not make it Fruit. I guess something positive about this whole mess is that people have left sloppy alone now. Watching someone get insulted for using the GPL was crazy.
That was not the problem with Sloppy. It was the fact that the psqts used where found in Toga. By this I mean the article on Toga....see here....

http://members.aon.at/josefd/Toga%20LOG ... Manual.zip

Compare for yourself. Why he could not make his own ones was beyond me? Anyway.......these days anything is possible.

Christopher
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Christopher Conkie wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:I am not sure if I understand you right but maybe Strelka and Rybka are inspired by Fruit. Just taking the tables worth a few elo out of Strelka does not make it Fruit. I guess something positive about this whole mess is that people have left sloppy alone now. Watching someone get insulted for using the GPL was crazy.
That was not the problem with Sloppy. It was the fact that the psqts used where found in Toga. By this I mean the article on Toga....see here....

Compare for yourself. Why he could not make his own ones was beyond me? Anyway.......these days anything is possible.

Christopher
Toga is GPL
Dr.Ex

Post by Dr.Ex »

I always thought Vasiks claim Rybka would be about 20 rating points weaker had Fruit source code not appeared was simply ridiculous back then.
Christopher Conkie

Dann Corbit wrote:

Christopher
Toga is GPL
Yes.....so lets all use the same piece square tables......

:wink:

Let's use Toga's.
Christopher Conkie

Dann Corbit wrote:

Christopher
Toga is GPL
Yes.....so lets all use the same piece square tables......

:wink:

Let's use Toga's.
And.....

What license is the Strelka source released under?

This i've gotta hear.....
Rolf

Post by Rolf »

GenoM wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:I do not understand how Strelka can be both a clone of Fruit and of Rybka and yet get exactly the same evaluation as Rybka.

Your question has only one answer but some people with "eyes wide shut" do not want to see it.

Regards,
Geno
Yes, only one answer with two parts, but both are NOT what you want to inply to confuse readers all day long.

Here is the logic, and even I as computerchess programmer lay can give this:

Strelka is a clone of Rybka (first part)

Strelka is not a clone of Fruit! Logically normal, because Rybka isnt a clone of Fruit either!

Therefore the same evaluations in Strelka and Rybka.

QED

I have a simple explanation for this difficulty to understand on your side. I've seen your really beautiful statistical tables for these tested percentage similarities of any pairs of programs. But that is a mere mechanical connection taken out of statistical results and then presented by some routine that doesnt afford too much reflection.

And then we have here a totally different problem. We have a multi-dimensional set of relationships included acting human beings with their motivation AND their different standings in the field. We have in special the different approaches to manifesting an authentic identity.

Let me simply conclude something out of the latter parameter. We have someone who publicly announced that he would show something allegedly "evil" on the side of Vasik Rajlich and his creation Rybka. In the meantime we know that this figure has tried to blackmail Rajlich by urging him to allow a commercial business with this "Strelka", what was refused. Then the figure published the source code of the Strelka 2.0 which was now defined as a clone by the Rybka author.

With such a scenario we already can conclude that the Strelka figure is wrong while Vas Rajlich is trustable. The reason for that trivial conclusion is that the Strela "author" is hiding anonymously in Russia, all allegedly, because nobody in the scene knows his identity, nor could it reveiled with civilised Western Law.

In such a case it is ethically indicated to put the hidden figure into the defense and to expect him to leave his hiding IF he has anything ethically sane to defend. Probably, after all the public data, he doesnt want to do this because he must fear justice EVEN in Russia, if he's a Russian or any other country where he might come from.

I would therefore object to what Hristo argued, as if this were a case between two equally honest persons with two different opinions. Instead that is a conflict, incl. blackmail, where one of our midst is confrontated with the evil actions of a crook who isnt even known with real life name and address.

For sure we all well meaning members of the community shouldnt come near to the anonymous figure. Instead we all should defend our best programmer, Vas Rajlich! If Osipov has something honest to defend incl his "good name", then he should come out of his closet. Nothing easier than that. He would get more respect. From all what I know in life this is improbable after his blackmail.
-Popper and Lakatos are good but I'm stuck on Leibowitz
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

I really don't know what to think. I just think that it is astonishing that Strelka reproduces Rybka 1.0, including bugs (if -- indeed -- that really is the case).

It simply does not make sense to me, and so I am puzzled. Quite frankly, even simple and miniscule changes to either eval or search will often cause very large fluctuations in the pv output of a program. I have even seen significant changes from something as estoteric as optimizer settings.

I am genuinely wondering how such a thing is possible. I guess that if we carefully explore the outputs of both programs for a wide variety of positions then we must necessarily find lots of differences or I am really missing something.