Problems: SF 2.0.1 JA w32 / Crafty 23.4 w32 / Komodo 1.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Problems: SF 2.0.1 JA w32 / Crafty 23.4 w32 / Komodo 1.3

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi there,

Stockfish 2.0.1 JA:
I have small problems with SF 2.0.1 JA w32 in the still running SWCR-32 update tourney 16 new updates are included.

SF 2.0.1 JA lost different games on time. At the moment 6 from the first 170 of 1.000 games. Such games will be replayed in SWCR but it would be great if the SF programmers can looking for this problem.

Same for the SF 1.9.1 JA x64 version I tested (not tested in SWCR so far the x64 version from SF 2.0.1 JA).

Not very important because I replayed such games and the GUI dosn't crash if I got such a "lost on time" game.

Crafty 23.4 JA:
For Bob, no problems with lost on time games with the 23.4 version of Crafty 23.4 w32 / x64, older reported problem seems to be solved finaly. Late feedback from myself to the w32 version, because a longer time no SWCR test with 32bit engines.

Komodo 1.3 JA w32 / x64:
No more problems with "lost on time" games in endposition (end of max. search) with Windows error messages, seems to be solved too. Komodo 1.3 is great, seems that Don try to make again the w32 support much better.

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Re: Problems: SF 2.0.1 JA w32 / Crafty 23.4 w32 / Komodo 1.3

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Stockfish 2.0.1 JA:
I have small problems with SF 2.0.1 JA w32 in the still running SWCR-32 update tourney 16 new updates are included.

SF 2.0.1 JA lost different games on time. At the moment 6 from the first 170 of 1.000 games. Such games will be replayed in SWCR but it would be great if the SF programmers can looking for this problem.
Hi Frank,

fortunately I've not experienced time losses from Stockfish 2.0.1 32-bit. I guess I've just been lucky. Time losses are really annoying.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

yes!

With SF 1.9.1 x64 I had 4 of such lost on time games.
I played, let me look ... 1.280 games with version 1.9.1 x64 in SWCR-64 and 960 games in SWCR-32.

The four games produced 3 of my 4 Q9550 systems I used for SWCR. Now 6 of 170 in the still running SWCR-32 update tourney with version 2.0.1 JA w32. Much more as in SF 1.9.1 JA x64 / w32 now with version 2.0.1 JA 32.

6 Lost on time games, produced from 4 of 4 Q9550 systems. Not a hardware bug or a configuration bug.

All others 25 included engines works fine in the still running tourney. I delete Booot 5.1.0 start of the week from this tounrey (tested in SWCR-64 with the same problem I had so far). With Booot 5.1.0 I had 3 different problems. One of this problems is very hard because the GUI crashes and I have no chances to make directly a reaction during the still running tourney. Because I had a new job, need many of my time for it, so I don't have many time for computer chess so far.

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Graham,

yes!

With SF 1.9.1 x64 I had 4 of such lost on time games.
I played, let me look ... 1.280 games with version 1.9.1 x64 in SWCR-64 and 960 games in SWCR-32.

The four games produced 3 of my 4 Q9550 systems I used for SWCR. Now 6 of 170 in the still running SWCR-32 update tourney with version 2.0.1 JA w32. Much more as in SF 1.9.1 JA x64 / w32 now with version 2.0.1 JA 32.

6 Lost on time games, produced from 4 of 4 Q9550 systems. Not a hardware bug or a configuration bug.

All others 25 included engines works fine in the still running tourney. I delete Booot 5.1.0 start of the week from this tounrey (tested in SWCR-64 with the same problem I had so far). With Booot 5.1.0 I had 3 different problems. One of this problems is very hard because the GUI crashes and I have no chances to make directly a reaction during the still running tourney. Because I had a new job, need many of my time for it, so I don't have many time for computer chess so far.

Best
Frank
I can't really comment on the 64-bit engines, but Booot 5.1.0 32-bit hasn't caused any problems here either.
Mind you, I'm using ChessGUI and Fritz and not Arena.

Hope your new job goes well for you.

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Hi Graham,

at first:
Thanks for your good wishes to my new job :-)
Need English ... now I have to learn it!
First, I have to fight with my bad grammer!
Second, I have to fight with my bad grammer!
Third, I have to fight with my bad grammer again :-)

I don't use Arena GUI since I closed my older rating list ATL-4 (for around 4-5 years). I used Shredder Classic 4.0 GUI. Arena isn't install on my systems since 4-5 years, sorry! Enough from this project for the rest of my life. I do to many things for this project in the past and lost for some reasons complete my interest.

If I read Ingo messages to Booot, it seems Ingo have the same problems I have and I am sure that isn't a GUI problem, more or less UCI problems and problems with the new "ponder = on" mode.

So you can't see the problem because your are playing with ponder = off. Perhaps the same reason for the reported SF problem, I don't know!

Best
Frank
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Graham,

at first:
Thanks for your good wishes to my new job :-)
Need English ... now I have to learn it!
First, I have to fight with my bad grammer!
Second, I have to fight with my bad grammer!
Third, I have to fight with my bad grammer again :-)

I don't use Arena GUI since I closed my older rating list ATL-4 (for around 4-5 years). I used Shredder Classic 4.0 GUI. Arena isn't install on my systems since 4-5 years, sorry! Enough from this project for the rest of my life. I do to many things for this project in the past and lost for some reasons complete my interest.

If I read Ingo messages to Booot, it seems Ingo have the same problems I have and I am sure that isn't a GUI problem, more or less UCI problems and problems with the new "ponder = on" mode.

So you can't see the problem because your are playing with ponder = off. Perhaps the same reason for the reported SF problem, I don't know!

Best
Frank
Yes - could well be a ponder on problem. That would explain it. :)

Cheers,
Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Frank Quisinsky

Re: Ponder / Permanent brain

Hi Graham,

I had discuss with Fabien and two other programmers about the ponder mode for around one month by mail. The programmers explain me why the ponder mode isn't easy to implement. All three programmers had the same opinion to "ponder". This explain why different engines have a bad time management with ponder = on or some other problems with ponder.

Perhaps one of the ponder experts (thinking on Bob Hyatt) can explain ponder in detail in his learn sources. Perhaps Bob do that, never look in the sources of Crafty or the most other programs, I am not a programmer. But Crafty have a perfect time managment and ponder mode. I had the problems with Crafty 23.2 / Crafty 23.3 only, because I am using WB Crafty with adapter under the UCI interface Shredder Classic 4.0 with a time control the WB protocol don't know. So I am sure Bob is working with some tricks.

But it seems that ponder isn't easy after all I know.

Best
Frank
Werner
Full name: Werner Schüle

Re: Ponder / Permanent brain

Post by Werner »

Hi,
I have got around 5-10 games with SF 2.0.1 JA x64 which were lost on time out of now around 3000 games for CEGT 40/20.
So it happens sometimes.
Werner