So who is on top now? Stockfish DD, Komodo 6, or Houdini 4?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

notyetagm

So who is on top now? Stockfish DD, Komodo 6, or Houdini 4?

Post by notyetagm »

Has the dust settled yet on the testing of the new engines? If so, who has come out on top? Has anyone dethroned Houdini like Carlsen dethroned Anand? :-)

Thanks
ouachita
Full name: Bobby Johnson

Re: So who is on top now? Stockfish DD, Komodo 6, or Houdini

Post by ouachita »

Jeffrey,
There are many daily tests with innumerable HW/SW/settings performed by many testers at numerous sites to review and consider. Nevertheless, on balance, neither the STC or LTC top tier hierarchy has changed over the past month or so. Basically, H4 is King of Blitz, K is King of LTC, and SF continues to get better, perhaps in both.

Not surprisingly, there are many different views on these topics.
SIM, PhD, MBA, PE
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

notyetagm wrote:Has the dust settled yet on the testing of the new engines? If so, who has come out on top? Has anyone dethroned Houdini like Carlsen dethroned Anand? :-)

Thanks
certainly not stockfish DD because this is an old version(one month is a lot of time) and the latest developement version is probably 20 elo stronger.
royb

Post by royb »

Uri Blass wrote:
notyetagm wrote:Has the dust settled yet on the testing of the new engines? If so, who has come out on top? Has anyone dethroned Houdini like Carlsen dethroned Anand? :-)

Thanks
certainly not stockfish DD because this is an old version(one month is a lot of time) and the latest developement version is probably 20 elo stronger.
I do not doubt your comment, however how do you deduce from the stockfish development builds website how many ELO stronger a new version is from its predecessors?

The encoded numbers sometimes indicate LOS but that is not the same to me as ELO.

Thanks!
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

Thanks
I can say with very high certainty that the latest stockfish has dethroned houdini 4 at the bullet and blitz time controls. Looking at ccrl 40 40 complete list data stockfish DD is within 4 elo of houdini 4. So if the latest stockfish is not already ahead of houdini 4 it will be soon.

I am testing the latest stockfish now at 40 40. If you consider that tablebase support is worth at least 5 elo. It is very likly that stockfish dd with tb suppot is stronger then houdini 4.

I am not sure what data some are looking at that suggest komodo is best at ltc.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

So basically, it's all between Komodo and SF, and there are a large number of engines not too far behind, but behind nevertheless, perhaps led by Houdini?

Or is there something else happening and that there is a likelihood of it being a different engine (other than komodo or SF) in a month or two from now?
mwyoung

Post by mwyoung »

S.Taylor wrote:So basically, it's all between Komodo and SF, and there are a large number of engines not too far behind, but behind nevertheless, perhaps led by Houdini?

Or is there something else happening and that there is a likelihood of it being a different engine (other than komodo or SF) in a month or two from now?
Most lilkly stockfish will be ahead. I say this because it is ahead of komodo now. In both long and short time controls.

Will this be the only houdini release for the next year. If so Houdini 4 will certainly be over taken by komodo.

In the next 10 month i see this as a stockfish vs komodo fight for the top spot. With houdini becoming more irrelivant.
"The worst thing that can happen to a forum is a running wild attacking moderator(HGM) who is not corrected by the community." - Ed Schröder
But my words like silent raindrops fell. And echoed in the wells of silence.
IGarcia

Post by IGarcia »

ouachita wrote:Jeffrey,
There are many daily tests with innumerable HW/SW/settings performed by many testers at numerous sites to review and consider. Nevertheless, on balance, neither the STC or LTC top tier hierarchy has changed over the past month or so. Basically, H4 is King of Blitz, K is King of LTC, and SF continues to get better, perhaps in both.

SF vs Houdini, wins SF.

When there are many engines under test, houdini is best because its overall performance.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

IGarcia wrote:
ouachita wrote:Jeffrey,

SF vs Houdini, wins SF.

When there are many engines under test, houdini is best because its overall performance.
All we need is to change the default contempt of SF to solve the problem. But Marco doesn't want to. In head to head SF is at least on par with Houdini, yet Houdini is significantly above in rating lists. The difference is that Houdini destroys the weaker engines more than SF destroys them, because it doesn't accept 3-fold repetitions where SF would.

I _guarantee_ you that the current dev version of SF+syzygy+contempt=20cp would beat Houdini (a fortiori Komodo) in any rating list condition (except perhaps super fast ones like Stefan Pohl's one).
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
E.G.R.

Post by E.G.R. »

in primis a special praise to the team of Stockfish for progress "Impressive" made ​​in recent months, however, I find houdini slightly higher than others, and above all very "objective" in the estimated values ​​of the position. At the that come to my two curiosity, that i appeal to the Stockfish team ...
a. can you recalibrate the always perhaps too "optimistic" assessment of the position that makes Stockfish?
b. maybe not to publish a daily basis the little updates but once a week, so as to note the improvement in the engine?
Saluti