Previous World Champion Engine Authors Speak Out...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Re: Pervious World Champion Engine Authors Speak Out...

Post by h1a8 »

yanquis1972 wrote:
fern wrote:Of course....but then, without ANY kind of fundamental non engine woud exist, any about nothing. You always make use of some previous ground to do anything, isnt it?

F
did u just diss sherlock holmes son??
I don't believe he had a son.
jdart

Post by jdart »

mhull wrote: No matter how much it morphed from version 1, it still stands upon the shoulders of Fruit 2.1. Without the Fruit fundamentals it would not be where it is.
And that is probably true of most strong engines now. I think few have not borrowed some algorithm or trick from Fruit. But only one is being accused of cloning.

--Jon
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

fern wrote:Of course....but then, without ANY kind of fundamental non engine woud exist, any about nothing. You always make use of some previous ground to do anything, isnt it?

F
Fern, you should be flattered. He is saying your works are worthy of being accused of plagiarizing Shakespeare!
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
LucenaTheLucid

Post by LucenaTheLucid »

jdart wrote:
mhull wrote: No matter how much it morphed from version 1, it still stands upon the shoulders of Fruit 2.1. Without the Fruit fundamentals it would not be where it is.
And that is probably true of most strong engines now. I think few have not borrowed some algorithm or trick from Fruit. But only one is being accused of cloning.

--Jon
I thought someone brought up an interesting point the other day. GNU was GPLed. The author of Comet used GNU as the starting source for his engine. Ulrich something? To my knowledge the source code of Comet was never released publicly. I know the author of Comet is a stand up guy but how come no one has ever pointed this out? Maybe I'm mistaken? My memory is hazy about the subject.
Tom Barrister

Post by Tom Barrister »

jdart wrote:

--Jon
There's a difference between borrowing an idea (a "trick" as you say), and using the verbatim engine as a starting point, as it's been alleged that Mr. Rajlich has done. The question for engines as a whole is: where is the line drawn, e.g. what constitutes a violation?
This production is being brought to you by Rybka: "The engine made from scratch.™"
geots

Re: Previous World Champion Engine Authors Speak Out...

Post by geots »

Steve B wrote:And Sign The OPEN letter to the ICGA President

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4038

excluding the Engine Author under examination .. we have all but one World Champion engine author since 1992 signing the letter
it should be remembered that these men were fierce competitors for many years ..so seeing them all agree to the notion that Rybka is an unauthorized Fruit derivative is quite astonishing and remarkable

Of course many other highly respected and talented Engine authors also signed the letter..some of whom might have been World Champions themselves if not losing to the engine in question or deciding not to even compete entirely in the ICGA World Championships given the participation of the allegedly illegally derived engine

Bob Hyatt ..a World Champion author himself of course did not sign as he is on the panel invested with making a determination on the derivative issue

i think this is unprecedented in the history of competitive sport Regards
Steve

Bob Hyatt ..a World Champion author himself of course did not sign as he is on the panel invested with making a determination on the derivative issue

I cant believe you state this in passing, because I cant believe you dont see anything wrong with him being on this panel. He has stated he knows Vas is guilty, and even if he is found innocent he is guilty. And you dont call this lynch mob mentality. How would you like to be the one Bob is making a decision about? This whole deal is about as slimy as computer chess can get.
Terry McCracken

Re: Previous World Champion Engine Authors Speak Out...

Post by Terry McCracken »

geots wrote:
Steve B wrote:And Sign The OPEN letter to the ICGA President

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4038

excluding the Engine Author under examination .. we have all but one World Champion engine author since 1992 signing the letter
it should be remembered that these men were fierce competitors for many years ..so seeing them all agree to the notion that Rybka is an unauthorized Fruit derivative is quite astonishing and remarkable

Of course many other highly respected and talented Engine authors also signed the letter..some of whom might have been World Champions themselves if not losing to the engine in question or deciding not to even compete entirely in the ICGA World Championships given the participation of the allegedly illegally derived engine

i think this is unprecedented in the history of competitive sport Regards
Steve

I cant believe you state this in passing, because I cant believe you dont see anything wrong with him being on this panel. He has stated he knows Vas is guilty, and even if he is found innocent he is guilty. And you dont call this lynch mob mentality. How would you like to be the one Bob is making a decision about? This whole deal is about as slimy as computer chess can get.
No George, Hyatt is a world class expert and has nothing to gain personally. It's not Dr. Hyatt who lacks scruples but Vas does. So why shouldn't be on the panel? He knows his line of work backwards, he's one of the best. Vas was caught plain and simple. It's time to accept that and move on.
Terry McCracken
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

F
If it is descended from an illegally distributed clone, it is tainted.
Matthew Hull
mhull
Full name: Matthew Hull

Post by mhull »

Albert Silver wrote:

F
Fern, you should be flattered. He is saying your works are worthy of being accused of plagiarizing Shakespeare!
You're out of your element here. Surely you meant to say Cervantes. But you can't improve upon Cervantes (nor Shakespeare).
Matthew Hull
michiguel

Post by michiguel »

mhull wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

F
You're out of your element here. Surely you meant to say Cervantes. But you can't improve upon Cervantes (nor Shakespeare).
Borges disagree :-)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Men ... he_Quixote

English link at the end, highly recommended!

Miguel