Chess for Android and Electronic ChessBoards

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Re: Chess for Android and Electronic ChessBoards

Post by mclane » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm

The step to go is planning chess. So far they do moves. They find moves but do not plan. They solve positions with big , enormous hardware and effort.
But playing chess is something completely different then solving positions. You need a plan to play chess.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:33 pm

mclane wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:32 pm
You need a plan to play chess.
Making plans is just the human workaround for lack of computing capacity. In chess, the one who wins is right.
Rasmus Althoff
https://www.ct800.net

mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 am

Chess without plan is like running around blind.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....

peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Hi Thorsten!
mclane wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:07 am
Chess without plan is like running around blind.
Chess with plans and without ability to check them move by move and position for position, is like driving around blindly, which is even worse then running around blindly, cause you'll fail even faster.
Being blind in chess for the moves and plans of the opponent and for your own moves and positions, I'd prefer going step by step and position by position more or less blindly (of which even good plans are built of only yet too anyhow) much more than running or driving blindly with or without plans.
Being not quite as blind for single positions and moves anymore after some learning and practicing, you can start trying to build plans, the worse blind you are as for positions and moves, the less good will be your plans.

Or easier and well known in German:

Ja, mach nur einen Plan, und sei ein großes Licht, und mach noch einen zweiten, geh'n tun sie beide nicht.
:)
Peter.

AdminX

Post by AdminX » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm

I had to order a type C USB cable and powered usb hub, which arrived today. Played my 1st game using my LG6 phone using Chess for Android level 7. I had it on the ropes when my son walked in because he need help putting his mothers Christmas gift together. I ended up letting it off the ropes with a draw. Kids ..., can't live with and can't live without them. :evil:

PS: It worked like a charm Aart!
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:18 pm

AdminX wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:06 pm
PS: It worked like a charm Aart!
Thanks for letting me know, and thanks for sharing the game!

abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 pm

Although the Certabo electronic boards are mainly intended for chess, the flexibility of the identifying chips makes them suitable for 8x8 checkers as well (draughts, or American checkers, with slightly different rules from e.g. 10x10 international checkers). Therefore, I am planning to add support for Certabo boards in Checkers for Android as well. The 34 identifying chips can be used for the 24 regular pieces and 10 kings for promotion (using special purpose pieces avoids stacking the regular pieces). A 3D printed set can be used for this purpose (a continued hat-tip to my brother-in-law Gerard Harbers for making all the chess and checkers sets for me!).

The general idea is illustrated with this picture. Although not chess, please let me know if you like this upcoming support!