ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
hgm
Posts: 23772
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:06 am
Location: Amsterdam
Full name: H G Muller
Contact:

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by hgm » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:29 pm

Ah, it must only be the contents of the postings that are hidden from Google, then.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by Ovyron » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Nothing is hidden from Google since Talkchess updated the forum software (from the one that allowed Threaded Mode), so if you search for "New MEA that fixes a speed issue" (with quotes) this uncensored thread on Talkchess comes up.

Except for anything that guests can't read. So if someone is specifically looking for information about engine origins that is on Talkchess, they won't be able to find it, which is detrimental to the public at large.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4787
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm

hgm wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
As ar as I understood the postings in this forum section cannot be found by Google either. But perhaps Sam can inform us about that.
Correct and likewise CTF, the latter I can imagine as ICD board owner :D
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 2819
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by Ovyron » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm

Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm
hgm wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
As ar as I understood the postings in this forum section cannot be found by Google either. But perhaps Sam can inform us about that.
Correct and likewise CTF, the latter I can imagine as ICD board owner :D
Did you see my post where I demonstrate how you can find postings in this forum section on Google?
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

chrisw
Posts: 2186
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by chrisw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm
hgm wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
As ar as I understood the postings in this forum section cannot be found by Google either. But perhaps Sam can inform us about that.
Correct and likewise CTF, the latter I can imagine as ICD board owner :D
Did you see my post where I demonstrate how you can find postings in this forum section on Google?
Well hgm has managed to derail this thread with nonsense he could have determined with a brief search request to google with some text from inside a post here more than say one day old which will show the post at the head of google search list.
Deliberate derail with trivial nonsense, imo.
Please get back on topic.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4787
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:06 pm

Ovyron wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm
hgm wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
As ar as I understood the postings in this forum section cannot be found by Google either. But perhaps Sam can inform us about that.
Correct and likewise CTF, the latter I can imagine as ICD board owner :D
Did you see my post where I demonstrate how you can find postings in this forum section on Google?
Clicking on your link gives - Oops! Internet Explorer could not connect to 74.220.23.57
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 4787
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by Rebel » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:12 pm

chrisw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:32 pm
Ovyron wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:22 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:02 pm
hgm wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:53 pm
As ar as I understood the postings in this forum section cannot be found by Google either. But perhaps Sam can inform us about that.
Correct and likewise CTF, the latter I can imagine as ICD board owner :D
Did you see my post where I demonstrate how you can find postings in this forum section on Google?
Well hgm has managed to derail this thread with nonsense he could have determined with a brief search request to google with some text from inside a post here more than say one day old which will show the post at the head of google search list.
Deliberate derail with trivial nonsense, imo.
Please get back on topic.
Right.

Speaking of the ICGA, looking the participants of the last years.

1. Chriron, started from Robbolito.
2. Shredder, showing a similarity with Stockfish of 65%
3. Early Komodo's vs Fruit / Strelka even Robbolito --> ±60%
4. Late Komodo's vs Stockfish --> ±60%

If it were so bad in 2011 then it is even worse now.
90% of coding is debugging, the other 10% is writing bugs.

smatovic
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by smatovic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:04 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUMkcBctE7c

Sorry, I guess this belongs to the CTF?

--
Srdja

chrisw
Posts: 2186
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:28 pm

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by chrisw » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 pm

smatovic wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:07 pm
chrisw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
smatovic wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:04 pm
Rebel wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:03 am
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=72066

I think this post belongs in the main forum, certainly the ICGA part.
Hmm, imo this belongs to the EO subforum.

Obviously you try to rehabilitate Vas resp. try to indict other chess
programmers of what Vas has done.
Your comment “what Vas has done” indicates an acceptance it was ok to have dragged him as a witch into the town square and burnt him at the stake.
No, it doesn't.
it doesn’t indicate acceptance or it wasn’t acceptable?
chrisw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
In the alternative he was no witch, he was just another programmer who was good at chess engines doing what chess programmers do, which is use ideas, most of which are already in existence.
Ok, that's your pov.
My POV is immaterial, the data says he is just another programmer.
The unbiased and objective data says less than seven same moves in ten = witch, as opposed to more than six same moves in ten = witch hunter.
chrisw wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:45 pm
In the alternative, we are not witch hunters, we come from another level that says what happened in 2011 or whenever was not okay, the sorcery of which Vas was accused is more general, look, here is what we found.
What happened was not okay. We do not want to allow the contradiction to remain.
Ok, you made your and Eds intention clear. Fine.
I didn’t come with any intentions. Ed’s Simex tester produced some unexpected results. We’ld recently been working on some entirely different stuff. He asked my opinion on the results. I set about trying to find the flaws, but there were none. I generated another 100,000 new test positions, other than the Don Dailey ones. Same pattern. I generated test suites split by game phase, 80,000 new test positions, same patterns.
This is all important information, for those interested in computer chess, I set about displaying it in ways different to a 135x135 matrix. Networkx algorithms found more patterns and groupings in the data.
So, we showed them to you. That was the intention. To let the data speak for itself.

But I wish to point out that here on CCC you won't find a fair trial.
Here you can only rehabilitate Vas by 'another witch hunt'.
The fair and more effective way for rehabilitation would be to address this with
the ICGA, cos the ICGA was the institution that sentenced Vas.
Well, no less than an esteemed and distinguished jurist and professor of International Law acting for the body which has responsibility for oversight of ICGA Ethical behaviour, produced a report censuring the ICGA process as out of order and its punishment as out of order. The ICGA under Mr Levy ignored it. It has not removed the penalty on Vas not atoned in any way for process failure. What makes you think it will do that now or that any reliance could be placed on it to investigate itself?
Meanwhile Bob Hyatt continues with his one man anti-Vas hate campaign, you’ll have noted the reference to his gratuitously bringing the entire thing up again a couple of months ago with zero reason nor provocation other than to crow again about how right Bob is, how bad Vas is, the usual name dropping, and how this thing drags on and on (nobody having mentioned a word for a least a year that I know of) and why don’t people let it drop, and hopefully Bob’s will be the last word etc. But apparently, the problem is Vas. Yeah, right.
--
Srdja

smatovic
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:18 pm
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Full name: Srdja Matovic
Contact:

Re: ICGA - Rybka<>Fruit, Shredder, Komodo, Chiron

Post by smatovic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:27 pm

Look, I am not in a position to be able to judge about Vas of doing anything.

And I am simply not interested in getting involved in a Pro/Con Vas 'dichotomy'.

But like I already said, here in CCC we have no trial, we have a pillory, and that is the EO subforum.

That is all I have to say on this topic.

--
Srdja

Post Reply