M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Re: M1 Apple Silicon for Chess?

Post by cpeters »

AlexChess wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 6:47 pm 521€ asked by Apple (but not given!) to repair a 2020 Mac mini M1 8-256GB for a broken logic card to test my SF derivative against other engines :shock:
Mac mini M2 now costs 579€.
The 'logic card' is almost everything. Nevertheless I'd call this greed. It's ugly of course.

greetings
towforce

Post by towforce »

cpeters wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 1:05 am JonWoe,

Termux or something like that is not available on a Chromebook?

greetings!

Of course there are terminal and remote clients for Chromebook!

Jon Woe's choices are absolutely right for someone who enjoys setup and configuration of hardware and software. For most people (who don't have negative feelings towards Google), Chromebooks would make really good sense.
The simple reveals itself after the complex has been exhausted.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

Hmm, ChromeBook...

- since 2021 devices have 10 years ChromeOS updates
- you can sideload Linux in a sandbox
- you can jailbreak some devices (x86-64 arch) and install another OS

--
Srdja
towforce

Post by towforce »

Yep - you can do those things: but if that's the kind of thing you enjoy doing, then maybe you'd choose an open Linux in the first place?

IMO Chromebooks are a good choice for people who want simple, quick, inexpensive, some great features (touchscreen, 360 degree fold, long battery life, quick startup) and everything looked after for them. I would include most chess players in this group (no Chessbase without workarounds - but there are other (possibly inferior) platforms for game analysis - e.g. chess.com).
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

AlexChess wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm I like macOS (despite the fact that I deprecate Apple's walled garden) I use also Linux and Windows 10 because I'm a 360° technology fan.
I'm the same way. Linux user since 1995. Bought a dual CPU mac when OS X came out because it was nice having the hardware and solid OD and with the underlying Darwin system I easily was able to do all my "Linux" work with a full GNU system. When it died went back to Linux. Now admit even my main desktop is Windows 10. The seller for me was WSL. Having Ubuntu that could natively talk (hell even run .exe oddly enough) has been nice. Rest of my boxes are still Linux.

I felt a little weird though running Deep Shredder 13 .exe in Ubuntu under WSL but did the job lol.

Think the days of hating Windows is over. I'm also not a fan of vendor lock-in so the whole iSuite kinda gets to me but OS X is a beautiful OS and solid. Never did get that m1 but now hoping to get a m2 as a second main desktop and for porting code.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

AlexChess wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:39 pm I like macOS (despite the fact that I deprecate Apple's walled garden) I use also Linux and Windows 10 because I'm a 360° technology fan.
I'm the same way. Linux user since 1995. Bought a dual CPU mac when OS X came out because it was nice having the hardware and solid OS and with the underlying Darwin system I easily was able to do all my "Linux" work with a full GNU system. When it died went back to Linux. Now admit even my main desktop is Windows 10. The seller for me was WSL. Having Ubuntu that could natively talk (hell even run .exe oddly enough) has been nice. Rest of my boxes are still Linux.

I felt a little weird though running Deep Shredder 13 .exe in Ubuntu under WSL but did the job lol.

Think the days of hating Windows is over. I'm also not a fan of vendor lock-in so the whole iSuite kinda gets to me but OS X is a beautiful OS and solid. Never did get that m1 but now hoping to get a m2 as a second main desktop and for porting code.
towforce

Post by towforce »

jshriver wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 11:24 pmI'm the same way. Linux user since 1995. Bought a dual CPU mac when OS X came out because it was nice having the hardware and solid OD and with the underlying Darwin system I easily was able to do all my "Linux" work with a full GNU system. When it died went back to Linux. Now admit even my main desktop is Windows 10. The seller for me was WSL. Having Ubuntu that could natively talk (hell even run .exe oddly enough) has been nice. Rest of my boxes are still Linux.

* You love OS X, but don't want to have iSuite

* You like Windows now that is has WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) available

* You have multiple Linux boxes

How to make sense of this?

Hmmm...

Got it! You're a collector! :)
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

towforce wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:16 am How to make sense of this?

Hmmm...

Actually yes :( find a need fill a need. I even buy old version fo engines off ebay. Some I even need to play/test under emulation :lol:

When I first startted out was a LOT more fun. I remember the joy of compiling and playing craft on Sparc IPC/IPX 33mhz , later Sparc V stations. Of course the normal 486 sx2 til Pentium days and beyond. Squeeking out ever drop of performance. Long time for Windows 98? around the time I switched from Slackware to Redhat the Intel compiler was king. Something like 10-20% performance gain vs gcc.

My my best friend and I have a long going joke. If there is a new arch, he knows I will find a way to get some chess engine to compile on it.

Sometime aeround 2009-2010 (?) there was some toy "video viewer" intend to watch things. Anything linux based gets lopen sourced and people hammer it. I remember compiling crafty 19 (?) or so on it. Running minimal linux + window manger to run xboard. To dual it out on my kitchen table. This was long before stockfish.

Not sure if your post was meant to make fun of me or not, but yes sir. Yes I am proud and loe it. Those days are over. Glad to see ARM enter the whole war.

To be honest Im more an AMD man since I've always beena poor West Virginian. But I have a beain. Intel and AMD have been battleing it out but cost to performance is a struggle.

What it means to me? I love seeing the number on those who have the money and share with us like those who did to make the tb 6 and now tb7? ...

Computer chess is a life. Proud to be here since circa 1995-6.

In case you didnt know, I may not have the ability to make a top engine, but I paid dues. When the first 6 men egtb came out. It was the creator who literally (ty) sent me a hard drive. To add to my old oics.olympuschess.com site. Sorry it went down. It was old no updates to software and life issues. Proud many places sprung up to take place better like ftp or http direct.

I'm 46 first started chess dev at 18 in 1996. I'm stuck on bitboards and movegen. I refuse to reuse code till my mind just GETs it.

I've done logic gate circuitry dont know why bitboards and recursion is such a 20 year bottleneck. Im ashamed. I want olympus to exist.

I feel odd I have new idead top bottom, just the middle is my wall.

Anyway, still here love you all. Man I miss Hyatt. RIP Don Dailey Kaufan. Man as I get older the people I love are going away.

Hyatt if still ticking brother, thank you for influencing me w/ crafty in 1996. Change my life sir.

-Josh
towforce

Post by towforce »

jshriver wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 1:52 am
towforce wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 12:16 am How to make sense of this?

Hmmm...

Actually yes :( find a need fill a need. I even buy old version fo engines off ebay. Some I even need to play/test under emulation :lol:

When I first startted out was a LOT more fun. I remember the joy of compiling and playing craft on Sparc IPC/IPX 33mhz , later Sparc V stations. Of course the normal 486 sx2 til Pentium days and beyond. Squeeking out ever drop of performance. Long time for Windows 98? around the time I switched from Slackware to Redhat the Intel compiler was king. Something like 10-20% performance gain vs gcc.

My my best friend and I have a long going joke. If there is a new arch, he knows I will find a way to get some chess engine to compile on it.

Sometime aeround 2009-2010 (?) there was some toy "video viewer" intend to watch things. Anything linux based gets lopen sourced and people hammer it. I remember compiling crafty 19 (?) or so on it. Running minimal linux + window manger to run xboard. To dual it out on my kitchen table. This was long before stockfish.

Not sure if your post was meant to make fun of me or not, but yes sir. Yes I am proud and loe it. Those days are over. Glad to see ARM enter the whole war.

To be honest Im more an AMD man since I've always beena poor West Virginian. But I have a beain. Intel and AMD have been battleing it out but cost to performance is a struggle.

What it means to me? I love seeing the number on those who have the money and share with us like those who did to make the tb 6 and now tb7? ...

Computer chess is a life. Proud to be here since circa 1995-6.

In case you didnt know, I may not have the ability to make a top engine, but I paid dues. When the first 6 men egtb came out. It was the creator who literally (ty) sent me a hard drive. To add to my old oics.olympuschess.com site. Sorry it went down. It was old no updates to software and life issues. Proud many places sprung up to take place better like ftp or http direct.

I'm 46 first started chess dev at 18 in 1996. I'm stuck on bitboards and movegen. I refuse to reuse code till my mind just GETs it.

I've done logic gate circuitry dont know why bitboards and recursion is such a 20 year bottleneck. Im ashamed. I want olympus to exist.

I feel odd I have new idead top bottom, just the middle is my wall.

Anyway, still here love you all. Man I miss Hyatt. RIP Don Dailey Kaufan. Man as I get older the people I love are going away.

Hyatt if still ticking brother, thank you for influencing me w/ crafty in 1996. Change my life sir.

-Josh

Thank you for sharing - that's a moving story!

Ever been tempted by stray thoughts like, "If I put this much focus into something else, I could be a millionaire before I'm 50"?