What happened to the memristor?

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

What happened to the memristor?

Post by smatovic »

dangi12012
Full name: Daniel Infuehr

Re: What happened to the memristor?

Post by dangi12012 »

HPE never made a product with it. The technical similar competitor became 3DXpoint with options for persistent RAM and Optane lineup.

Its slower than RAM but faster than SSDs and if memory serves you could buy 512gb RAM sticks for 10th gen XEONs.

Reasons it failed: Pricing per FB too high + too slow improvements on it.
It did help with some protein folding problems.

The resistance of the material was proportional to the time integral of the current and persistent.
Worlds-fastest-Bitboard-Chess-Movegenerator
Daniel Inführ - Software Developer
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

short answer: boommm
long answer: catraboooommmmm

Seriously scientists and engineers are becoming a lot like politicians: a lot of broken promises.
Intel Optane was another.
Carbon based chips will be another one of those promises.
In 2001 Intel promised a 10GHz cpu for 2010.
Then Intel came up with the Terahertz transistor.
And in medicine there are even more. 6 or 7 years ago I heard about 'disruptive cancer treatments', but so far I can't see nothing like that to treat cancer. If you get cancer you still have to go to chemotherapy or radiotherapy.
When I was a teenager I had a teacher that claimed science would solve anything given enough time.
We can't even stop polluting the environment.
I remember the village where my parents born and even when it had no electricity. At night it was an amazing celestial spectacle.
There was zero pollution, not even a single plastic bag, no machines, people had to work but what they ate was 1000 times better than gourmet.
The sheep cheese they had was the best chess I ever ate, and the red wine was something out of this world.
The collective oven where they baked bread smelled really like organic wheat. The even made a type of bread with eggs and pure olive oil that was super delicious. My sister which is 15 years older than me remember when she went to the fields with the uncles and they had to cook there, they had a cabin with cocking utensils there. A simple meal of onions and peppers with olive oil cocked together and then add this on top of boiled potatoes was according to her the most delicious meal she ever had. She says there nothing like that today anymore not even close.
That soil with a lot of minerals gave food a fantastic flavor.
Its all gone now, no shepherds no wine production, just some olive oil production remains, and few people grows food on the fields nowadays.
Oh and a lot of pollution now.

So there is science for you, and in a time with more diseases than ever science is falling short.
smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Post by smatovic »

:)

--
Srdja