Deep Fritz T25

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Wilhelm
Full name: Wilhelm HUDETZ

Deep Fritz T25

Post by Wilhelm »

A question for the oldies :lol:
Did anyone remember why, when this engine was released from Chessbase? DF6 was from 2001, DF7 from 2002 and the T25 2003 (dates are from the .eng files). There is no information in the engine file. It seems to be an updated DF6 (has a Fritz 6 logo) and is around 20 Elo stronger than the DF6 from 2001. And why does it come after DF 7? I was CEGT tester at this time but can't remember (Alzheimer) :lol:

Wilhelm
Ryzen 5900x, 64GB Ram, RTX3080, 2x 2TB SSD, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, all custom watercooled, Win10 and Win7 Multiboot, Win98/Windows Millennium/WinXP virtual machines for 16bit
Retro Chess Chessmasterhttps://descent.at/files/
Ajedrecista

Re: Deep Fritz T25.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello Wilhelm:

I can not give you a real answer. Here is what I found:

------------------------

a) A possible beta of Deep Fritz 7 (two posts on 10th August, 2003):

Deep Fritz T25
Re: Deep Fritz T25
Jorge Pichard wrote:
Pradip Udayakanth wrote:Guys i tested the beta version of df7 and it turned out to be good than df7.Is it true? please assist
What is the difference? :-) = :-)
------------------------

b) A hopefully useful comparison of Fritz 6.eng file sizes (post on 12th April, 2003), in case you can compare with your own copy of T25 if you think it is a Fritz 6 update (please remember: that post was about Fritz 6, not Deep Fritz 6):

Re: Fritz 6
Brian Kostick wrote:Yes, some of the early engine release did not have version number.
Later release had it but they did not properly update it.

Don't worry too much about the dates. At that time we hex-edited the engines (Fritz 6.eng) so our letter designation would show up in the GUI and that probably changed the file date. Chessbase or Morsch put an end to this practice in later versions of Fritz engine. Modifying the title string caused the engine to no longer work, 'insert choice word to chessbase/programmer here'. :)
Currently we have to swap fritz engine files in and out of the engine folder, but at least the version numbering is better.

Here's how I think Fritz 6.eng went by file size:
Light: 275,968
?: 288,256 I think original from my German Fritz6 CD
Old: 291,328 possible that more than one version got renamed 'Old' by installer?
a: 289,280
b: 290,816
c: 293,376
m: 311,296

But that was all some time ago and I am just now looking back at an archive CD,
BK
Please check previous posts of that thread for further information:

Fritz 6

------------------------

Good luck with your research!

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

Hello Ajedrecista,
thanks that you try to find something. I didn't find more so I gave up on this. I was also thinking it's a beta from DF7 (it's weaker than DF7), only the later engine date was confusing me. On the other side I can not say if the dates are correct. Fritz 6 is also a realy mess. If I remember right I have a backup of I think 9 different versions on an old CD backup :lol:
I can try to ask Chessbase but last year as I asked why my Deep Junior 10 doesn't show up in my DF14 GUI (older engines show up) all I get was "Sorry, this program is out of support". The problem was only one missing dll file an then all worked. Realy nice this guys :(

regards
Wilhelm
Ryzen 5900x, 64GB Ram, RTX3080, 2x 2TB SSD, 1x 1TB SSD, 1x 2TB HDD, all custom watercooled, Win10 and Win7 Multiboot, Win98/Windows Millennium/WinXP virtual machines for 16bit
Wilhelm

Post by Wilhelm »

I remembered Mathias Feist from CB (I made some grafics for CB at this time). He's a realy friendly man and the old email adress that I have was working! He answerd my question very quick. He said that it was an internal Test version from him because of the name T25, whatever this means at this time (22 years ago). CB would never name a release version so. But more he can't remember anymore. So I think we (CEGT) got this version from him for testing back in 2002. All clear now :D

Wilhelm