CuckooChess 1.13

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

petero2
Full name: Peter Osterlund

CuckooChess 1.13

Post by petero2 »

I wanted to test how good Java is at evaluating neural networks, so I ported the NN code I use in Texel to CuckooChess. As expected the performance is really bad compared to hand-optimized C++ code using SIMD intrinsics.

Consequently CuckooChess 1.13 is 10 to 15 times slower (NPS) than the previous CuckooChess version, and 20 to 25 times slower than Texel. It is still quite a bit stronger than the previous CuckooChess version, at least at bullet and blitz time controls.

Maybe some people will find it interesting to have an engine with a decent evaluation but very weak tactical abilities, so I am releasing this test as CuckooChess 1.13. Here is the download link:

CuckooChess 1.13
Tibono
Full name: Eric Bonneau

Re: CuckooChess 1.13

Post by Tibono »

Hi Peter,
nice, thanks for sharing it!
BR,
Eric
DmitriyFrosty
Full name: Dmitry Frosty

Post by DmitriyFrosty »

Nice gift. Waiting for Texel update as well. Thank you.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

petero2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:12 am I wanted to test how good Java is at evaluating neural networks, so I ported the NN code I use in Texel to CuckooChess. As expected the performance is really bad compared to hand-optimized C++ code using SIMD intrinsics.

Consequently CuckooChess 1.13 is 10 to 15 times slower (NPS) than the previous CuckooChess version, and 20 to 25 times slower than Texel. It is still quite a bit stronger than the previous CuckooChess version, at least at bullet and blitz time controls.

Maybe some people will find it interesting to have an engine with a decent evaluation but very weak tactical abilities, so I am releasing this test as CuckooChess 1.13. Here is the download link:

CuckooChess 1.13
Thank you very much for the gift ! I have already added it to my (ongoing) Java ELITE Tournament (TC=4'+2"). CuckooChees 1.12 x64 is also playing in this tournament. Serendipity-0.1 (the current authoritative leader) is also a NNUE engine. And Bagatur 4.1a has a NNUE version (but the neural network belongs to Stockfish, so I use the HCE version in the tournament).Details here:

==================
viewtopic.php?p=963543#p963543
==================
petero2

Post by petero2 »

Sylwy wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 4:49 pm
petero2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:12 am I wanted to test how good Java is at evaluating neural networks, so I ported the NN code I use in Texel to CuckooChess. As expected the performance is really bad compared to hand-optimized C++ code using SIMD intrinsics.

CuckooChess 1.13
Thank you very much for the gift ! I have already added it to my (ongoing) Java ELITE Tournament (TC=4'+2"). CuckooChees 1.12 x64 is also playing in this tournament. Serendipity-0.1 (the current authoritative leader) is also a NNUE engine. And Bagatur 4.1a has a NNUE version (but the neural network belongs to Stockfish, so I use the HCE version in the tournament).Details here:

==================
viewtopic.php?p=963543#p963543
==================
Thanks for testing. I actually had your tournament in mind when deciding to release this version.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Post by Sylwy »

petero2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 7:35 pm
Thanks for testing. I actually had your tournament in mind when deciding to release this version.
The situatiohjn after 970 games:

viewtopic.php?p=963640#p963640
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

CuckooChess 1.13
One Of My Personal Favorites (A Great Name)......Not easy to get to work...but well worth the time!! Thanks!! :) 8-) :wink:
Tibono
Full name: Eric Bonneau

Post by Tibono »

petero2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:12 amI am releasing this test as CuckooChess 1.13.
Hi Peter,
just pointing out the 1.13 version tag was already used, somehow I have it on Android (1.13a9 to be fully accurate, seems to be from 2011... 13 years ago).
By the way, was CuckooChess 1.13 NN built from self-play, or is it Texel one? Or sourced elseway?
Thanks again,
Warm regards,
Eric
petero2

Post by petero2 »

Tibono wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 8:03 am
petero2 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:12 amI am releasing this test as CuckooChess 1.13.
Hi Peter,
just pointing out the 1.13 version tag was already used, somehow I have it on Android (1.13a9 to be fully accurate, seems to be from 2011... 13 years ago).
By the way, was CuckooChess 1.13 NN built from self-play, or is it Texel one? Or sourced elseway?
Thanks again,
Warm regards,
Eric
That is because of the non-standard version scheme I use. 1.13a9 means 1.13 alpha 9, which means a non feature complete version that will after more improvements become the real 1.13 version.

The network is exactly the same as in Texel 1.12a4. All training data for the Texel network comes from self-play games. The trainer is 100% written by me, and the evaluation code is also 100% written by me.

There is no github repository for CuckooChess 1.13 because CuckooChess is part of the DroidFish repository, which is already larger than desired because of the huge Stockfish nets. The source code for CuckooChess 1.13 is however included in the jar file in case someone wants to look at it.