ChessUp 2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CornfedForever
Full name: Brian D. Smith

ChessUp 2

Post by CornfedForever »

I don't recall seeing anyone talk about this....but any thoughts on the new ChessUp 2? I think I am going to get the 'early bird special' by 10pm tomorrow.

I play a mostly on chess.com...but also a bit on lichess and apparently it works there as well.
CornfedForever

Re: ChessUp 2

Post by CornfedForever »

CornfedForever wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 pm I don't recall seeing anyone talk about this....but any thoughts on the new ChessUp 2? I think I am going to get the 'early bird special' by 10pm tomorrow.

I play a mostly on chess.com...but also a bit on lichess and apparently it works there as well.
For $199 this seems better priced than any similar product. I have not had a 'stand alone' since an old Fidelity set...40 yrs ago. Mostly I'll be playing slower games ...5/2 to 10/2 on those sites. I know some of you have competitors like the ChessNut products. The Evo seems nice...but is terribly expensive in comparison.
cpeters
Full name: Christian Petersen

Post by cpeters »

More as to be excited about this one I'm still annoyed by their first release: It still feels alpha/a stub and overall buggy. Basic (computerchess-) things do not work, which is intended, as it is a closed platform (for 'content delivery' - but there isn't any 'content'). If you're not online through the 'app' it's almost completely useless, as the supervisor-mode is not possible as it won't run locally (in the app on phone/wherever or the one on the board) and the engine running on the board is weak.

Why has it to be always stockfish (supposedly)? Other licenses than GPL do exist..

*Aart Bik is to praise for his 'chess on android' (how clumsy it may be) - as the board is usable offline without the lackluster app from chessups.
CornfedForever

Post by CornfedForever »

cpeters wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:24 pm More as to be excited about this one I'm still annoyed by their first release: It still feels alpha/a stub and overall buggy. Basic (computerchess-) things do not work, which is intended, as it is a closed platform (for 'content delivery' - but there isn't any 'content'). If you're not online through the 'app' it's almost completely useless, as the supervisor-mode is not possible as it won't run locally (in the app on phone/wherever or the one on the board) and the engine running on the board is weak.

Why has it to be always stockfish (supposedly)? Other licenses than GPL do exist..

*Aart Bik is to praise for his 'chess on android' (how clumsy it may be) - as the board is usable offline without the lackluster app from chessups.
What would 'supervisor' mode be?

I saw on their forum last night that there had been a release several months back to address some issues. But still buggy?

I'm not actually interested in the native weaker bots, but they do say you will be able to access all the online bots...I presume made largely from Larry Kaufman (and others) Dragon / Komodo...and those are much stronger.
cpeters

Post by cpeters »

I'm referring to this:

The board/chessmen are very nicely built and done. Cool almost. But the tech behind still lagging. Fixing bugs and implementing basic things takes forever.
Maybe it'll not be the case with the new board, as it's not supposed to be this dumb or heavily online-dependent (I didn't look into it).

As I understand it, 'chess for android' works with chessup (v1) because of a reverse-engineering-job done by Aart Bik and not because they released some API/specification of theirs (as this would be the assumed treasure). I might be wrong here.
Last edited by cpeters on Wed May 15, 2024 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
CornfedForever

Post by CornfedForever »

cpeters wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:15 am I'm referring to this:

The board/chessmen are very nicely built and done. Cool almost. But the tech behind still lagging. Fixing bugs and implementing basic things takes forever.
Maybe it'll not be the case with the new board, as it's not supposed to be this dumb or heavily online-dependent (I didn't look into it).
Thanks for the info.

Ah, the 'assist' mode I think is what you are referring to. Personally I would turn that stuff off. I presume you can (?). I think I might have an epileptic seizure with all those lighted squares flashing while I am playing someone else!
cpeters

Post by cpeters »

Yesyes, assisted mode. My point is, that it is almost nix as a package, without beeing constantly connected to the interwebs. I won't ever have such a thing again in that regard (chess). With, repeated drumroll, 'chess for android' it's useful now for me (which took over a year)..

But I'm offtopic here...it should be all about their new endavour.
CornfedForever

Post by CornfedForever »

cpeters wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 12:42 am Yesyes, assisted mode. My point is, that it is almost nix as a package, without beeing constantly connected to the interwebs. I won't ever have such a thing again in that regard (chess). With, repeated drumroll, 'chess for android' it's useful now for me (which took over a year)..

But I'm offtopic here...it should be all about their new endavour.
No, it's all good really. I mean the 2.0 may have issues 1.0 has. Or maybe at somepoint 1.0 took a bit of a backseat while they were pursuing 2.0? Who knows.

What I'm wanting almost entirely is the 3D experience - via play with other humans on the interwebs. With the built in Wi-FI and Bluetooth...and surprisingly low introductory price...well, I think I am going to place an order this after noon.

I do wish the playing area itself was a tad bigger - it's 12x12 - but with just one person sitting there, it's probably an okay size.
Chessqueen
Full name: Jorge Picado

Post by Chessqueen »

CornfedForever wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 4:23 pm
CornfedForever wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:58 pm I don't recall seeing anyone talk about this....but any thoughts on the new ChessUp 2? I think I am going to get the 'early bird special' by 10pm tomorrow.

For $199 this seems better priced than any similar product. I have not had a 'stand alone' since an old Fidelity set...40 yrs ago. Mostly I'll be playing slower games ...5/2 to 10/2 on those sites. I know some of you have competitors like the ChessNut products. The Evo seems nice...but is terribly expensive in comparison.
Where did you find ChessUp 2 for ony $199 ? https://playchessup.com/
I am ready to swap brain with Stockfish chip. https://www.facebook.com/share/iHzQpSjc ... tid=oFDknk
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

cpeters wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:24 pm *Aart Bik is to praise for his 'chess on android' (how clumsy it may be)
That is high praise, Christian.... :wink: