@CPW contributors

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

Re: @CPW contributors

Post by smatovic »

AndrewGrant wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 6:07 pm [...]
Someone should let wikipedia know about their own 5 pillars:
> Wikipedia is written from a neutral point of view
Wikipedia is written from a neutral point of view
We strive for articles with an impartial tone that document and explain major points of view, giving due weight for their prominence. We avoid advocacy, and we characterize information and issues rather than debate them. In some areas there may be just one well-recognized point of view; in others, we describe multiple points of view, presenting each accurately and in context rather than as "the truth" or "the best view". All articles must strive for verifiable accuracy with citations based on reliable sources, especially when the topic is controversial or is about a living person. Editors' personal experiences, interpretations, or opinions do not belong on Wikipedia.
Aim high shoot low? ;)

It is the people who make the place? Wikis can only be as good as their contributors? Or alike.

In context of CPW:
we describe multiple points of view, presenting each accurately and in context rather than as "the truth" or "the best view".
This might be contradicting in regard of chess programming "best practices", but if we take a broader look, there is no "golden path" for computer chess, if you zoom out enough, Lc0 and Stockfish and Dragon MCTS do pretty much the same, and vary only in details. If you compare PST and neural networks, Texel Tuning and Backpropagation, it does essentially the same, or alike.

--
Srdja
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

smatovic wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:49 pm
alessandro wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:09 pm ...
I suggested to divide topics/engines amongst contributors, thus, just pick a topic that suits you and you are interested in? In the end it is a hobby and we want to have good time, or alike.

Shawn Xu started to update search related articles (probably partially taken from CPW 2.0):

https://www.chessprogramming.org/index. ... &limit=500

There must be other active computer chess programmers/contributors out there, maybe they can join CPW too and revive it?

--
Srdja

PS: It is a difference to write a post on TC (or Discord for that matter) and a Wiki article. To do it in professional manner can require quite some time, to research things and give references. But how does the saying go, when you can explain something in your own words you have grasped it?
Very nice work of Shawn Xu.
Another concept that seems important ,at least in HCE evaluation, are safe checks.
I see no entry at all in the chessprogramming wiki.
j.t.
Full name: Jost Triller

Post by j.t. »

By the way, some time ago I made a higher resolution version of the CPW logo. Maybe this can be used on the website. I think I also have the original GIMP xcf file somewhere, if there is demand for a different font or something.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

j.t. wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2024 11:40 pm By the way, some time ago I made a higher resolution version of the CPW logo. Maybe this can be used on the website. I think I also have the original GIMP xcf file somewhere, if there is demand for a different font or something.
Nice work and good effort!!!

I have tried to upload the logo. However, it requires uploading directly to the program's folder on the server and/or modifying some .css, .PHP files which I don't have the rights. The max size of the logo is 160x160 thus I guess to use your large logo we need to modify .css/.php files too. I think only the core team can help.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
markol4
Full name: Marek KOŁACZ

Post by markol4 »

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for someone who could fix a broken homepage link for Butcher chess engine on CPW. The homepage still exists (at different url) and would be nice to have it up to date on CPW.

Can you help?

Wishes, Marek.
phhnguyen
Full name: Nguyen Hong Pham

Post by phhnguyen »

markol4 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:04 pm Hi Folks,

I'm looking for someone who could fix a broken homepage link for Butcher chess engine on CPW. The homepage still exists (at different url) and would be nice to have it up to date on CPW.

Can you help?

Wishes, Marek.
I tried to help but GG returned almost nothing. What is the new URL? Is there anything else you are willing to add/fix? I hope you release a new version soon.
https://banksiagui.com
The most features chess GUI, based on opensource Banksia - the chess tournament manager
markol4
Full name: Marek KOŁACZ

Post by markol4 »

phhnguyen wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 3:53 am
markol4 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:04 pm Hi Folks,

Can you help?

Wishes, Marek.
I tried to help but GG returned almost nothing. What is the new URL? Is there anything else you are willing to add/fix? I hope you release a new version soon.
Hi,

Previous hosting was closed down couple years ago and I have moved files to:

http://butcher-chess.cba.pl/

Thanks for help.

PS. Sorry that I have reported your post by mistake. "Report" and "Reply" looks similar, right? :oops:

Wishes, Marek.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

markol4 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:05 pm ...

Hi,

Previous hosting was closed down couple years ago and I have moved files to:

http://butcher-chess.cba.pl/

Thanks for help.

PS. Sorry that I have reported your post by mistake. "Report" and "Reply" looks similar, right? :oops:

Wishes, Marek.
Thanks. I have updated the links for my XB/UCI chronology.
https://rwbc-chess.de

Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/wafflers/clone lovers/people stuck in the pleistocene > 70% of the posts fall into this category...