Pocket Fritz 3 in Argentina Tournament

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

James Constance

Re: Pocket Fritz 3 in Argentina Tournament

Post by James Constance »

mephisto wrote:James
I have just heard that the new version doesn't now contain the Shredder engine but as of yet, I don't know what ChessBase are using.
Bryan
Thanks, Bryan. That's very interesting - I would like to see both Fritz and Junior as PPC engines, although Fritz would be my preference. It would be nice if Pocket Fritz could handle more than one engine. :idea:
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

I have just been in contact with Steffen Giehring from ChessBase support and he tells me that it is a Beta version that is playing in Argentina and that they HOPE to release it by the end of the year but as of yet can't give any more details.He was surprised how I knew about it so I gave him a link to this topic.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Alex
Steffen Giehring must be a dope as the original link comes from the Spanish ChessBase site !!
Regards
Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

mephisto wrote:James
I have just heard that the new version doesn't now contain the Shredder engine but as of yet, I don't know what ChessBase are using.
Bryan
I think that it is unfair if chessbase try to hide the programmer of the engine that they are using in order to increase their result in the tournament so I think that it is good to see that pocket fritz lost a game.

The players could prepare better in case that they knew the programmer
of the engine that they are playing against(in case that it is Franz Morsch then probably training against Fritz with slow hardware can emulate similiar conditions).

Uri
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Uri Blass wrote: I think that it is unfair if chessbase try to hide the programmer of the engine that they are using in order to increase their result in the tournament so I think that it is good to see that pocket fritz lost a game.
No, it is enough that they know they are playing against a fast pocket computer. I guess the masters would prefer to know it's opening repertoire, to prepare against. Btw. did you take a look HOW that game in round 5 was lost? :mrgreen: It looks like an operator error, or a really rare severe bug.
Regards, Mike
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Mike S. wrote:
Uri Blass wrote: I think that it is unfair if chessbase try to hide the programmer of the engine that they are using in order to increase their result in the tournament so I think that it is good to see that pocket fritz lost a game.
No, it is enough that they know they are playing against a fast pocket computer. I guess the masters would prefer to know it's opening repertoire, to prepare against. Btw. did you take a look HOW that game in round 5 was lost? :mrgreen: It looks like an operator error, or a really rare severe bug.
Indeed,the program was not defeated by a normal approach,there was some kind of a hardware or an operator problem :?
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
Indeed,the program was not defeated by a normal approach,there was some kind of a hardware or an operator problem :?
The graphic in the relevant site simply does not work and I had to enter the moves manually to see the game.

The pgn there is not written in normal notation and no program that I know can understand it.

Cf6 means Nf6 but programs do not understand C
Ab4 means Bb4 but no program that I know understand A
Dc2 means Qc2
Te8 means Re8
Rh8 means Kh8

Here is the game in english notation
Note that black has a clear advantage even after the normal move
21.Rxe8+ and maybe there was some bug in the program after fail low.

[Event "Friend mode"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "????.??.??"]
[Round "?"]
[White "agur"]
[Black "Rybka 2.3.2a 32-bit"]
[Result "0-1"]
[PlyCount "42"]

{2MB, RybkaII.ctg, URI-AMD} 1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. exd5 exd5 4. c4 Nf6 5. Nc3 Bb4
6. Nf3 O-O 7. Be2 Nc6 8. O-O Be6 9. c5 Bxc3 10. bxc3 Ne4 11. Qc2 Re8 12. Rb1
Bf5 13. Bd3 b6 14. Bf4 Bg6 15. cxb6 cxb6 16. Rfe1 Qf6 17. g3 Rac8 18. Rb5 Bh5
19. Bxe4 Bxf3 20. Bxh7+ Kh8 21. g4 Rxe1# 0-1

The alternative was line like:
21. Rxe8+ Rxe8 22. Bd3 Re1+ 23. Bf1 Qe6 24.Rb1 Rxf1+ 25. Kxf1 Qh3+ 26. Ke1 Qxh2 27. Rb3 Qg1+ 28. Kd2 Na5 29. Rb4 b5 30.Qd3 Nc4+ 31. Rxc4 Qxf2+ 32. Kc1 bxc4

Uri
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Uri Blass wrote: The pgn there is not written in normal notation and no program that I know can understand it.
This is spanish language notation; are you aware how many people around the world speak spanish? It is Capablanca's mother tongue (probably a "weak player" like you said about Marshall, in your opinion). - They offer also a standard PGN download there.
Regards, Mike
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Mike S. wrote:
Uri Blass wrote: The pgn there is not written in normal notation and no program that I know can understand it.
This is spanish language notation; are you aware how many people around the world speak spanish? It is Capablanca's mother tongue (probably a "weak player" like you said about Marshall, in your opinion). - They offer also a standard PGN download there.
I cannot see standard pgn download there and I do not remember that I claimed that marshall is a weak player.

I do not know how many people speak spanish but I guess that there are more people who understand english.

I think that there is a reason that almost everybody that his first language is not english learn english as his second language and not spanish.

Edit:I found pgn if I click on the words
descargar partidas but I had to guess many places when to click in order to find it.

Uri
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

Uri Blass wrote: I do not remember that I claimed that marshall is a weak player.
Ok... I do remember it very clearly, because I was shocked when you wrote that (in the old CCC). :mrgreen: But never mind. Maybe you have meant it in comparison to today's super grandmasters. Good that you found the PGN download. I found it only because "descargar" sounds like "discharge." They should have offered an english page but maybe they did not expect international interest.
Regards, Mike