New Forum Online - Post Feature Requests Here

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

smatovic
Full name: Srdja Matovic

New Forum Online - Post Feature Requests Here

Post by smatovic »

So, forum is in working condition, the SSL/https certificate is WIP, we still tune and harden the Linux server, but feel free to post your feature requests in here....

--
Srdja
smatovic

Re: New Forum Online - Post Feature Requests Here

Post by smatovic »

smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:02 am
flok wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:13 pm Maybe make it possible to select a different layout.
We made custom mods to the layout, so we need to apply and test all mods with all themes and maintain these...maybe later, it would make sense, for those who prefer the old ProSilver layout over the new Absolute v3.

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

Guenther wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:18 am No idea if it was already mentioned, but the the default search box shows 'Search...' in white letters,
with a darkblue background, but if you type something in this box directly it is black on darkblue ;) (thus unreadable)

Of course it works after using the lense symbol or the advanced search, because then you type black text into white.

Guenther
smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:24 am
Guenther wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:18 am [...]
Yes, you are right, its is unreadable, I notated this as nice to have for later.

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:37 am
smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:02 am
flok wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:13 pm Maybe make it possible to select a different layout.
We made custom mods to the layout, so we need to apply and test all mods with all themes and maintain these...maybe later, it would make sense, for those who prefer the old ProSilver layout over the new Absolute v3.

--
Srdja
Old "prosilver" style is now available, I think we can maintain two styles, Absolution and prosilver:

User Control Panel -> Edit global settings -> My board style: Absolution || prosilver

--
Srdja
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:38 am
Guenther wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:18 am No idea if it was already mentioned, but the the default search box shows 'Search...' in white letters,
with a darkblue background, but if you type something in this box directly it is black on darkblue ;) (thus unreadable)

Of course it works after using the lense symbol or the advanced search, because then you type black text into white.

Guenther
Yes, you are right, its is unreadable, I notated this as nice to have for later.

--
Srdja
Fixed.

--
Srdja
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:57 pm
smatovic wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:38 am

Guenther

--
Srdja
Fixed.

--
Srdja
Thanks! That was quick :)
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

chesskobra wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:14 pm No issues on desktop, but on mobile (android) I have the following issues with formatting.

1. The page goes outside the screen (which happened with older site also), which can usually be fixed by zooming out, but I cannot zoom out on diagrams.
Thx for reporting, but I am not qualified to fix layout/design for mobiles and test for all browsers out there, I am more backend developer than frontend, usually those phpBB styles are conformant with all browsers, but, phpBB might not be that edgy, maybe if we start another crowdfunding, we can hire an designer and frontend developer to ensure compatibility with all devices and browser out there, or alike, the alternative is to switch to an more edgy forum software.
chesskobra wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:14 pm 2. Too much white space. Maybe others like it.
Old "silverpro" style is available for users to switch, see posts above.

--
Srdja
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, I have a feature request, which I should be able to fulfil myself, but I want to check if there would any security issues with it. I have this viewer that I used to broadcast chess games over the internet, and it seems cool to integrate that with the forum. Somewhat like this:

variant=FIDE theme=SV enableAI=0

Move history

The idea is that by [ viewer] tags in a posting, with a user specification, (like in this case [ viewer=hgm] would cause a viewer to appear in that posting, consisting of a chess board, clocks, space for the names of the players (now 'undefined'), and text fields for the game history and possibly for PVs (which I did not yet generate). Loading the page would then start a JavaScript program that (through AJAX) periodically loads a file on the server dedicated to this user, to read the game that it holds, and show it in the viewer. In this example I put a file there with a few opening moves.

The user specified in the viewer tag should then be able to upload new moves to that file, which would be appended to the game it already contains, or submit a special code to clear the file (so a new game can start). This of course is the dangerous part. I was thinking to use a GET method for this, which specifies the move in the query string. By rejecting anything that does not have chess-move syntax, and stoping appending when the file reaches a certain maximum size, it seems the risk can be limited.

Of course there still is the issue of how to make sure the file cannot be used by anyone else than the member mentioned in the viewer tags, which could be done by including some sort of password in the query string.
smatovic

Post by smatovic »

hgm wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:43 pm [...]
I myself prefer to serve content only from local server, this is old fashioned, meanwhile the web-sites all use so called micro-services....everything external you include can be use for exploits in theory, cross-site scripting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting

maybe take a closer look into pgn4web, the demo site shows live game viewers...

http://pgn4web.casaschi.net/home.html
http://pgn4web.casaschi.net/demo.html

might spare some time and headache.

--
Srdja
xenos1984
Full name: Manuel Hohmann

Post by xenos1984 »

I think it would be nice to have avatars - currently the user control panel says they are disabled.

In any case, thanks for the nice works on the forum - especially the possibilities to post (fairy) chess positions and game logs are pretty nice!