Unbeatable

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jsgroby

Unbeatable

Post by jsgroby »

I read this statement over the weekend. Not sure if it is true. What are your thoughts?

No human has beaten a sufficiently strong chess engine under official tournament conditions since 2005.

Really?

Jeff
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Unbeatable

Post by hgm »

This is a so-called meaningless statement.

Any engine that was beaten was obviously not 'sufficiently strong'. So there is no way it could ever be false. It is a tautology.
Thomas Lagershausen

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

This statement is totally bullshit.

Between humans and computers didn´t happened any matches since a lot of years.

For a human it is easy to play against a computer. The human plays a closed opening and the computer is helpless.

A so prepared grandmaster can draw almost every game against a computer.
TL
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

'Draw' is of course not the same as 'beat'...

If no games were played, the statement is also automatically true. You cannot be beaten without playing.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thomas Lagershausen wrote:This statement is totally bullshit.

For a human it is easy to play against a computer. The human plays a closed opening and the computer is helpless.

I disagree. Even most of the GMs seem to disagree too from what you read and hear.
Not unbeatable, but certainly minimal chances of winning many games.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

The OP's statement is, as pointed out, tautological, and it's also true that GM's aren't playing matches against computers these days.

But I disagree that "anti-computer" closed position strategies will enable GM's to draw almost every game. The matches that have been played since 2005, including the odds matches some years ago, suggest otherwise. And there's this:

"Computer programs these days are actually stronger than human players, significantly stronger. If I played a computer in a match I would get destroyed, I would be slaughtered, and that's saying something considering where I'm at in the world of chess." GM Hikaru Nakamura - Q&A at Wahington University, St Louis, MO 2/26/11
jsgroby

Post by jsgroby »

Graham Banks wrote:

I disagree. Even most of the GMs seem to disagree too from what you read and hear.
Not unbeatable, but certainly minimal chances of winning many games.
Here is the article I came across with that statement in it. Part of it was an April Fool's joke, but the part of the article with the statement in it is before the link to the joke.

http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang ... st-solved/
kranium

Post by kranium »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human%E2%8 ... ss_matches
Wikipedia wrote: In November 2005, 3 former FIDE world chess champions, Alexander Khalifman, Ruslan Ponomariov and Rustam Kasimdzhanov played against computers Hydra, Junior and Fritz. The computers won 8 to 4.[18][19]

Ponomariov – Junior 0–1
Hydra – Kasimdzhanov 1–0
Fritz – Khalifman 1–0
Ponomariov – Fritz 1–0
Kasimdzhanov – Junior 1/2–1/2
Khalifman – Hydra 1/2–1/2
Hydra – Ponomariov 1–0
Fritz – Kasimdzhanov 1/2–1/2
Junior – Khalifman 1–0
Ponomariov – Junior 1/2–1/2
Kasimdzhanov – Hydra 1/2–1/2
Khalifman – Fritz 1/2–1/2
I totally disagree Thomas..

now, 10 years later, chess engines are vastly improved, and much much stronger (400 ELO or more?)
top GMs (and even world champions) have no chance whatsoever, IMHO

...that's why no GM today will play engine matches, even for big money...they don't want to (and for the sake of their career, can't afford to) risk such humiliation
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

jsgroby wrote:I read this statement over the weekend. Not sure if it is true. What are your thoughts?

No human has beaten a sufficiently strong chess engine under official tournament conditions since 2005.

Really?

Jeff
Yes. In fact, I am surprised about the 2005. I would have guessed 2000 or so. In 2005, who won? in what conditions? against which program? Fritz and Junior were not the strongest, even in 2005. At the time it was Shredder and Fruit.

Note that we're talking about beating a computer in tournament conditions. It does not mean winning a game every now and then, and losing 90%+ games. It does not mean winning on your own comp (no referee watching), with access to the computer's score and PV. Or by repeating the same opening again and again until you start to memorize the game until you reach a favorable position, by trial and error. Or by taking back moves. People can win games like that, but not tournaments, not in tournament conditions.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

rcmaddox wrote:

"Computer programs these days are actually stronger than human players, significantly stronger. If I played a computer in a match I would get destroyed, I would be slaughtered, and that's saying something considering where I'm at in the world of chess." GM Hikaru Nakamura - Q&A at Wahington University, St Louis, MO 2/26/11
I remember posting this segment of the video. Here is where he states this on You Tube:
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie