Operator wanted for the Chess960 WC qualification

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pedrox

Re: Operator wanted for the Chess960 WC qualification

Post by pedrox »

Yes, Winboard_x can not make match between 2 engines (local) to play Chess960, however to play in ICC is correct. You need polyglot + Glaurung.

I have also played with Arena 1.1 and went well. Arena is bug with UCI Chess960, you could also use with polyglot and protocol xboard.
Olivier Deville

Post by Olivier Deville »

pedrox wrote:Yes, Winboard_x can not make match between 2 engines (local) to play Chess960, however to play in ICC is correct. You need polyglot + Glaurung.

I have also played with Arena 1.1 and went well. Arena is bug with UCI Chess960, you could also use with polyglot and protocol xboard.
Thanks Pedro !

ICS support of Arena 1.1 is not bugfree. Thus Winboard_x (or even Winboard_F) would be my choice.

Olivier
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Olivier Deville wrote:I like to operate engines and I think I have nothing to do on June 27th-28th. I can run Glaurung on a Dual Opteron 252 with Windows XP Pro 64 as an OS.

I have never tried the chess960 variant though and I hope it works fine under Winboard_x. Therefore tests would be needed. Otherwise we can try another GUI of course.

If other people are interested in operating Glaurung, feel free to say so, I don't mean to close the offer :)
Thanks, Olivier!

It would be very nice if you could operate Glaurung in the Chess960 tournament. If you are still interested, I'll try to get a Windows binary of the most recent development version ready before the 27th.

However, I should inform you that I am no longer quite sure I can go to Mainz in August, even if I succeed in qualifying. It looks like August will be a busy month for me this year. This may have some importance to you, because according to the information on the tournament page, you won't get your prize money unless I go to Mainz.

At the moment, I hope I'll be able to participate (if I succeed in qualifying, of course), but I can't promise anything yet.

Tord
Olivier Deville

Post by Olivier Deville »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Olivier Deville wrote:I like to operate engines and I think I have nothing to do on June 27th-28th. I can run Glaurung on a Dual Opteron 252 with Windows XP Pro 64 as an OS.

I have never tried the chess960 variant though and I hope it works fine under Winboard_x. Therefore tests would be needed. Otherwise we can try another GUI of course.

If other people are interested in operating Glaurung, feel free to say so, I don't mean to close the offer :)
Thanks, Olivier!

It would be very nice if you could operate Glaurung in the Chess960 tournament. If you are still interested, I'll try to get a Windows binary of the most recent development version ready before the 27th.

However, I should inform you that I am no longer quite sure I can go to Mainz in August, even if I succeed in qualifying. It looks like August will be a busy month for me this year. This may have some importance to you, because according to the information on the tournament page, you won't get your prize money unless I go to Mainz.

At the moment, I hope I'll be able to participate (if I succeed in qualifying, of course), but I can't promise anything yet.

Tord
Hi Tord

Yes indeed I am still interested in operating Glaurung, as I enjoy such events. And really I don't care for money prizes, the money would be for you anyway (I have too much of it here actually).

Olivier