Junior 11

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Mike S.

Re: Junior 11

Post by Mike S. »

I don't think that Junior 11 will require ICC membership to purchase it. I expect that it will be offered to anybody, by ICC's online store. Anything else would not make sense. Why should an online shop limit the range of it's customers to the members of it's server?

I am not 100% sure but that is what common sense tells me.

I think there may be a confusion with the current offer of Junior 10 UCI combined with an ICC membership. But that is an old engine basically (except for the UCI capability). It is clear that the interest for a new Junior and Deep Junior version 11 goes far beyond the ICC members.
Regards, Mike
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

I am sure they will not make it mandatory to buy a membership for Junior 11.
With Junior 10.1 that was a deal, and sure there will be a benefit/discount for members of ICC for Junior 11 as well. But they will sell it without membership too. I think ICC and Junior team have made a very clever decision. Chessbase's policy of distributing all engines on one-version-older GUI than Fritz made it very awkward for other engine authors I guess.
I am an ICC member and will buy Junior. Because its simply the coolest engine (from the strong ones) I know. Thinker is as cool, but it is useless for analysis alas.
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

Mike S. wrote:I don't think that Junior 11 will require ICC membership to purchase it. I expect that it will be offered to anybody, by ICC's online store. Anything else would not make sense. Why should an online shop limit the range of it's customers to the members of it's server?

I think there may be a confusion with the current offer of Junior 10 UCI combined with an ICC membership. But that is an old engine basically (except for the UCI capability). It is clear that the interest for a new Junior and Deep Junior version 11 goes far beyond the ICC members.
Exactly.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Post by peter »

playjunior wrote:
Mike S. wrote:I don't think that Junior 11 will require ICC membership to purchase it. I expect that it will be offered to anybody, by ICC's online store. Anything else would not make sense. Why should an online shop limit the range of it's customers to the members of it's server?

Exactly.
Thanks a lot to you and to Michael and Tony as well
regards
Peter.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Oh,sure you will be forced to get a ICC membership before you put your hands on the engine.....
Why do you all think that the policy of selling Junior 11 will be different :!: :?:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

No, that would not make sense in a commercial sense. If you have a product and want to sell it, you are not going to exclude 90% of the interested group from your possible customers.

(I guess that only 10% of possible Junior customers are ICC members.)

But we do not know it: Let's wait and see.
Regards, Mike
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Mike S. wrote:No, that would not make sense in a commercial sense. If you have a product and want to sell it, you are not going to exclude 90% of the interested group from your possible customers.

(I guess that only 10% of possible Junior customers are ICC members.)

But we do not know it: Let's wait and see.
Correct,and if they sell the new version under the same policy,I will pass even if it's 100 Elo stronger than Junior 10.1 :!:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
playjunior

Post by playjunior »

The difference between Junior 10.1 and Junior 11 is that 99% of people who wanted to have Junior 10.1 had it before ICC started to sell it. So they decided to make this special deal, maybe sell a couple of hundred copies, and prepare people for Junior 11. As for Junior 11-it will be available to everyone, simply because doing otherwise makes no sense.