question to prof Hyatt re kaufman and best positional moves

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Uri Blass

Re: question to prof Hyatt re kaufman and best positional m

Post by Uri Blass »

<snipped>
bob wrote: And I would not disagree. But that has _nothing_ to do with comparing Rybka's evaluation to that of a Grandmaster chess player. They are in a different class.
I think that it is impossible to compare them.
The grandmaster has his advantage but the program also has advantages.

Rybka will never forget that white has a passed pawn in her evaluation(and the same for many other factors)

The GM cannot always pay attention to everything espacially when we do not talk about the root position but about position many plies after the root that happens in his search.

Uri
bob

Post by bob »

duncan wrote:
bob wrote:
duncan wrote:Is it possible to test who does the better positional moves, by allowing the gm takebacks only in the case where he loses material to some tactical combination.

I think Mr Kaufman said that allowing one move takebacks is 'only' worth 150 elo and is confident rybka would win a gm under such conditions.

of course more may be necessary.
I think that is too subjective a mechanism. Perhaps it could work if it goes such that if on any move, after the GM moves, if the program sees a win of any material, then the GM will have to take back his previous move, unless he is making an intentional positional sacrifice of some sort. But I am not sure that is the best way to proceed, On the human's move, he might really like a move and when he sees that it loses a pawn, he might investigate further to see if he still wants to play it. I'd rather have him make his move on his own time/clock. Otherwise he would either get a time advantage if a move gets rejected and he thinks "off the clock" or he might tend to move too quickly to see if the opponent will reject the move, so that he has more time to find another candidate. I'd rather just see him work everything out, then make a move and have to stick with it.

Are you saying that If a game was played that after the GM moves, if the program sees a win of any material, then the GM will have to take back his previous move, unless he is making an intentional positional sacrifice of some sort.

and rybka won (which Mr kaufman is confident would happen) it is evidence that Rybka plays better positional moves than a gm.

while if it lost, it would not be in itself evidence that the gm has better positional understanding, as the conditions are advantageous to the human.
Let's list several hypotheses here, just for discussion:

1. Rybka is better in eval and tactics than GM players.

2. Rybka is better in tactics only when compared to a GM.

3. Rybka is better in eval only when compared to a GM.

4. Rybka is worse in both than a GM.

There is little doubt we can discard 3 and 4 outright, agreed? So we are trying to decide whether 1 or 2 is true. And I don't think it is so easy. Here's why:

1. For tactics, we can easily measure this by just looking at the number of times Rybka's eval takes a sudden upward jump after a tactically incorrect move is played by the GM. And we know this happens with enough regularity to be a serious issue.

2. For eval it is more complicated. I have absolutely no doubt that a GM has a better evaluation than Rybka. To test, make a human move in under one second, which limits the search to one or two nodes in total. For Rybka, limit the search to one ply, which will be way more nodes, but will force it to rely on its evaluation. Who do you think would win? I can beat crafty easily limiting it to a one ply search with me moving instantly. I will occasionally even hang a piece and lose it, but overall I win those kinds of games, because my eval is simply better and includes some pattern-matching that programs can't do.

3. But it is more sticky than that. If your eval covers a reasonable (even if small) subset of GM knowledge, the deep searches turn positional judgement into a tactical issue of sorts. For example, a 20 ply search to create a strong outpost knight, or a weakened pawn structure, etc.

So 3 above is the sticky issue. how much can a deep search with rudimentary positional understanding offset the human's much better understanding but much shallower (overall) search?

It is an interesting question. But if we choose to normalize on the human's 1 -2 node search, and equalize that with the computer, it is no contest. If we let the program use a deep search, then it changes. I am not sure by how much and believe the human GM would still be favored. But it is an interesting question to think about, and it would be more interesting to test it.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

I think that if Crafty searches one ply the human may be better in tactics because the human know tactical patterns

Here is a simple example

[D]3r2k1/6pp/q7/4N3/8/2Q5/8/6K1 w - - 0 1

human may see that they win in 1 second because they know the pattern Nf7+ Nh6+ Qg8+

a computer may miss it at 1-2 plies

Uri
Uri

Post by Uri »

Uri Blass wrote:I think that if Crafty searches one ply the human may be better in tactics because the human know tactical patterns

Here is a simple example

human may see that they win in 1 second because they know the pattern Nf7+ Nh6+ Qg8+

Uri
Humans are very good at pattern recognition. It's because the human mind is highly parallel. But one day computers will eventually take over humans. Hardware is becoming exponentially faster and software is always becoming more intelligent.
bob

Post by bob »

Uri Blass wrote:I think that if Crafty searches one ply the human may be better in tactics because the human know tactical patterns

Here is a simple example

Uri
The issue is _tactics_. If I only have time to look at one or two nodes when forced to move instantly (or in less than a second) then I am not doing a tactical search. yes, I recognize patterns and would not fall into a smothered mate, or other such things. But not because of my tactical ability, but because of my learned experience. If everything else were constant, and you could somehow remove all memory of smothered mates, then suddenly I would walk right into them in "instant chess". So recognizing those patterns is part of my positional understanding.
duncan

Post by duncan »

So 3 above is the sticky issue. how much can a deep search with rudimentary positional understanding offset the human's much better understanding but much shallower (overall) search?

Mr kaufman I believe sees this exactly the same as you. You just differ in the answer.

if rybka won with the one move talback as you explained would that be evidence that rybka can make better positional moves than a gm ?
duncan

Post by duncan »

Mr kaufman's estimates for the eval elo of rybka would be about 2300
but going to 2950 against a gm who can avoid tactical mistakes.

what would be your rough alternative figures ?

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... =ReplyPost

Well, I agree with all but your second sentence. In pur positional eval, I think Rybka is somewhere around FM standard (2300 FIDE), although as Uri points out this is too poorly defined to have much meaning. But I think that a 2300 eval at the end of a deep search is much better than a 2800 eval applied near the root. Basically, I think that Rybka 3 will play better positionally than Kramnik or Anand because they will miss tactical sequences to achieve positional goals.

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... =6547;pg=2

Good question. Rybka 3 on an Octal computer would probably have a CEGT rating of around 3250. As I've often said, these numbers are somewhat exaggerated in human terms for several reasons, especially the randomized and short opening books. So maybe Rybka 3 Octal would perform about 3100 in top level human tournaments. Now if you all all the human players to use a material-only engine to avoid tactical mistakes, this should knock off somewhere around 100-200 Elo points, so my best guess is 2950. If you start including other types of errors than just pure material ones then this number will fall rapidly. In my opinion, most tactical errors of human grandmasters don't lose material in any searchable number of moves, they just ruin the position in some way that might lose a pawn in the long run (for example).
BubbaTough

Post by BubbaTough »

Mr kaufman's estimates for the eval elo of rybka would be about 2300
I am sure there are aspects of its eval where this is true, but I have seen evidence of some serious holes where its eval is missing elements most 1900s would know. It is very evident in endgame, but there is some evidence of subtle pawn structure issues and occasionally 'piece coordination' or 'fortress building' or 'stalemate likely' issues. There is no question that in a one second "who is better" competition with no search, Rybka loses to most FMs. Particularly if you let someone aware of problem positions for computers pick those positions.

-Sam
bob

Post by bob »

duncan wrote:So 3 above is the sticky issue. how much can a deep search with rudimentary positional understanding offset the human's much better understanding but much shallower (overall) search?

Mr kaufman I believe sees this exactly the same as you. You just differ in the answer.

if rybka won with the one move talback as you explained would that be evidence that rybka can make better positional moves than a gm ?
Possibly. Or it could be yet another artifact of deep search. If your simple eval includes some key things, say pawn structure ideas like weak and strong pawns, and some simple piece placement ideas (rooks on open files, knight outposts, etc), then it is certainly possible that a deep search, enough deeper than the GM so that your modest positional scores can be forced to happen because he can't see the positional "zinger" deep in the tree, might be all you need. It has already reached that point tactically in most positions (there are still some where a GM smokes a computer). It may, if it already hasn't, reach that same point one day where at least to beat a strong GM, less knowledge but way deeper search will be enough. We know that if (doubtful of course) chess is solved, no positional knowledge at all is needed, just a deep search.

But, there is one other issue. Positional knowledge in a program is, for the most part, "general rules". GMs are exceptional at having both general rules, plus many "exceptional" rules, and also are capable of knowing when the general rule does not apply. A program, when under attack, is still concerned with pawn structure and such, when it is not important. So much of its evaluation is off-topic and useless in such positions. The GM is focused on the attack, once his judgement says "now is the time to focus everything on mating the opponent's king." There are other related issues that I do not believe the program's deep search can compensate for.

How many computer vs computer games have you seen where the computer traps its own rook say at h5, with an opponent pawn at h6/g5, and its own pawns at g4/h3? Ever seen a GM do that? Not me. BTW the typical solution to get here is to back up the black pawn from g5 to g7 and white plays Rh5 to pressure the white king at h7. g5 and the rook is locked out of the game forever. If the computer can see deep enough to discover that black can move a piece to a square where it attacks the rook eventually, then white will avoid the move which it sees losing the exchange. But if it can't see the loss, because it doesn't happen (black and white have no minor pieces left for example) then white would gladly disrupt black's kingside pawn structure and then lose the game. Seen it at least once in each CCT event somewhere... Yet I _never_ see such a move in a GM game. Ditto for bishops that get locked in _behind_ their own pawns and can _never_ get out.
duncan

Post by duncan »

Please could you respond to this post from Mr kaufman

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ;pid=98159

I think that there is a fairly good way to test the hypothesis that doesn't require a new interface or engine. First, we make a version of Rybka with only tiny eval weights, just enough to produce intelligent move ordering. This is something I can do, Vas only needs to compile it. Then we set the interface option that selects all moves within half a pawn of the best move. Since all the eval weights are tiny, this is the same as a pure list of the tactically best moves according to Rybka 3. The window could also be set to 1.5 pawns, to include pawn sacrifices, if the GM so requests. An independent person would operate this machine, and after each move by the real Rybka 3 this operator would either call out or write down all the qualifying moves after the "stupid" Rybka has some time to think (I would suggest that half of the time of the real Rybka 3 would be reasonable, as the "stupid" Rybka should analyze much faster due to more cut-offs). If the window was 0.5 pawns he would just get the moves, no eval. If he chose the 1.5 pawn window he would get the moves that were tied for best and separately those that were pawn sacrifices. He would be free to think about the game during this interval. Only after he got the qualifying move list would his clock be started. This removes any need for anyone to write a new interface or any need to discuss what program to use as the helper. The human in effect gets 50% more thinking time (although the extra time is unassisted time), which should more than compensate for any distraction involved with the process. So in summary I think this is a very fair way to test the hypothesis; all we would need is an agreement that the loser pays the GM fee, and we need an operator that both parties would accept as both competent and unbiased, and a way to compensate him unless he is a volunteer.