question to prof Hyatt re kaufman and best positional moves

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

duncan

Re: question to prof Hyatt re kaufman and best positional m

Post by duncan »

Mr kaufman believes that Roman Dzindzichashvili would agree with him.
Do you disagree with that ?

http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ;pid=98152

(1)Dr Hyatt implies gm's agree with him. any comment on that.

(2)also you say , "this should knock off somewhere around 100-200 Elo points, so my best guess is 2950. If you start including other "

I assume Dr hyatt will say that it is far more than 100-200. where do you get this figure from. Is it a gut feeling based on watching thousands of rybka games. ?

http://64.68.157.89/forum/viewtopic.php ... _view=flat

I'd say you would lose that wager with high probability. But the interface is the first issue. If the GM has an engine that is tactically as strong as Rybka, he will be a "bear" to play against.

But you would have to have some GM friends to understand why this is true. Their positional understanding of the game is simply remarkable, particularly when compared to any program that almost certainly has less than 10,000 lines of C in the evaluation.

lkaufman replies

I'm sure that some GMs would agree with him, and some with me. The only ones whose opinion is of any value would be those who have played seriously with Rybka 3 (or a version close to it), which pretty much means Roman Dzindzichashvili and perhaps Vadim Milov if he is training seriously, plus a few others unknown to me. I can ask Roman for his opinion (we are good friends), but I'll be pretty surprised if he agrees with Dr. Hyatt. He knows from our one try at freestyle that even with the help of the best Rybka it is hard to beat "patzers" who also use Rybka but have some other edge (computer skills, hardware, opening book...).
The 100-200 is just an educated guess, as it has never been tried. I don't think GMs make all that many material-losing tactical errors; what they do make is lots of tactical errors that force them into concessions to avoid the loss of material, and a material-only engine won't help with these errors.
As for GM understanding, aside from the many GM friends I do have, my own positional understanding is at least in the lower range of GM level according to many strong players and students, but I have poor board visualization skills that have held me back from the title (though I'll be trying for it at the World Senior in October). I try to teach Rybka what I know, but of course some things are too difficult to explain or to code. But what I have taught Rybka 3 applied at the end of the search is much more potent than my own knowledge applied fairly near the root, I believe.